Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rodell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Unfortunately, my 11 year old son is a lefty. What's that all about, anyway? No lefties anywhere in the family.

I bought him a T3x hunter in 6.5x55, the caliber he was shooting anyway. I knew the LOP would be too long - he needs about 12" today, and, the T3x is quite a bit longer than that.I bought him wood because I want him to develop an appreciation for wood, as opposed to the plastic.

I need to do something, and, as I see it here are my choices.

1 - Cut down the original stock, and, when he outgrows it figure out what to do next at that time.
2 - Try to find a plastic takeoff from a T3 or T3x and cut that down, saving the wood.
3 - Try to find a new or used aftermarket for the T3 or T3x that can be shortened by the manufacturer or by me.(Lefty and short LOP seems to be a problem except from McMillan?)

What would the 'fire do in this situation? For some reason I'm paralyzed!

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Speak to MtnBoomer on here about your issue. He is THE stock genius on this forum.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boyd's AT-One adjustable stock for Tikk a T3/T3X comes in walnut for $204 or in a number of laminate colors for $189.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Post an ad for a T3 take off and then cut that down. That's what I did. It has worked very well for my daughter. Don't worry about finding a lefty stock. You can just cut the bolt handle slot into a right handed stock (also what I did).

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

I didn't have time to finish the kydex cheek piece before hunting season so it is just electrical taped on. I'll get that fixed before next year.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Flattery will get you everywhere! Many don't understand this..... Just heard it said better on the radio, I'm susceptible to flattery. LOL grin

A common predicament. Easiest is to chop a synthetic and save the hunter. There are some adjustable lop setups that could be fit and I have a prototype idea for one.

Something to keep in mind is once you cut 1.5 inches off, it's a getting smaller height wise narrowing pad choices....

An option too is going for say 12.25 and then a slip-on pad for 13.25 later. Or possibly fabbing a simple spacer setup. Love kid projects.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 01/07/19.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It wasn't a tikka, but I bought a mystery wood stock for my daughter for a rifle we already had. Saved the original stock. Cut the new one shorter and trimmed up the butt plate on it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No need to cut anything down. Keep an eye on the classifieds or ebay for a T3 compact stock. They come with a shorter LOP so nothing needs to be cut at all. My 9 year old son has a T3X compact in 7/08 and loves it!

Last edited by Motown; 01/07/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Motown
No need to cut anything down. Keep an eye on the classifieds or ebay for a T3 compact stock. They come with a shorter LOP so nothing needs to be cut at all. My 9 year old son has a T3X compact in 7/08 and loves it!

Too easy, lol. They're 12.5" btw. Good luck.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 01/07/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Unless I'm mistaken, a lefty compact is not available here, so it would still need to be converted to LH.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rovert

Unless I'm mistaken, a lefty compact is not available here, so it would still need to be converted to LH.

Dohhhh!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.