Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hey guys I just bought a CZ 455 American in .22 WMR. I wanted something I could use from squirrels to eastern coyotes and foxes and any varmints in between. I’m new to it, I mounted a VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 on it. Just wondering what you guys thoughts are on effective range for coyotes and foxes mostly. Input on other animals is welcome. I’ve only shot the Hornady V-Max 30 Gr and they shoot under an inch at 50 so I’m good with that. Thank you.

Kyle

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For coyotes, I’d say 75 yards with good bullet placement. And I would use a heavier bullet, 40 grains if they shoot wellin gun.

Last edited by dale06; 01/08/19.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah I haven’t got to try CCIs or Winchester yet. I’ll have to see what velocity and accuracy is like

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Back before Omama, I used the 22 Mag with the 40 grain CCI HP and FMJ...

When zeroed at 100 yds, and I knew the distance....( did the testing over at the local range)
my Marlin 25MN was minute of prairie dog ( on a prairie dog silhouette target ) out to 225 yds.

The drop was up 2 inches on the turret every 25 yds...

so up 4 inches at 150, up 6 inches at 175 and up 8 inches at 200.... and up about 10.5 inches for 225.

I used it on much smaller sage rats with pretty high scoring results out to 200 yds, fairly regularly when I went out.... I am sure the 30 grain V Max would shoot a little flatter, and be a little more accurate... but then
being 10 grains lighter, would suffer more wind drift and also lose that flat trajectory a little out past 150 yds or so....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Seafire,

Wind-drift is NOT dependent on bullet weight. Instead it's totally dependent on two factors, given the same atmospheric conditions: ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocity.

The 30-grain V-Max has just about exactly the same BC as the 40-grain CCI HP. But the 30 V-max starts out faster, so shoots flatter and drifts less in the wind at any range. I know this not just from theory but from shooting a bunch of different .22 Magnum loads in the field.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Would not be my first choice for a coyote hunting cartridge. The many variables such as shot presentation in my opinion are better suited to centerfire rounds for certain kills. Will it work, sure under ideal conditions, but I think there are better choices. That said I have been known to carry a 94/22M when I go on a walk.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've found the .22 mag. quite effective on foxes out to 125-150 yards so long as you and your rifle are capable of putting bullets in the vitals. On our big Northeastern coyotes it depends on what you consider "effective". If you've got snow on the ground and don't mind tracking them aways then it's effective as far as it is on foxes. If your idea of "effective" is that you expect them to drop right now with shots through the chest cavity you need more gun. Of course head shots will plant them on the spot.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I feel like when we do go we maybe hunting the tree lines and just inside the tree line. I’m assuming shots maybe up to 150 yds. I do remember seeing a guy take a western coyote at 80 yds with a 22mag pistol. Wasn’t sure how much further a rifle would reach.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I killed a lot of coyotes in Az with a 22 mag. 40g Winchester is a great pick. Plastic tip bullets do not penetrate well, break bones, and bleed off velocity very fast. Plastic tips work best on jack rabbits.

You can hit a coyote in the lungs and he may drop, or run like a scalded cat, short range of 75 yards and better gives best results, but I have dropped them at 125 because I spent a lot of time with my rifle.

Some bullets just do not kill worth a darn, especially as the range gets close to 100, and the Win HP works well. One thing for sure, if their tail is moving after the shot, shoot them again. I have really enjoyed my Ruger all weather 22 Mag, Marlin tube feed, and Marlin 25M. I had a Mauser 210 that handled like a true big game rifle, still have some extra mags for it.

Foxes can be hard to kill, not much to shoot at, hit them solid on the shoulder if you can. CCI's leaded my barrels up, so I avoid them like the plague. The 40g Win HP is a true jacketed bullet, not a copper plated lead bullet which you would be wise to avoid at all costs.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Seafire,

Wind-drift is NOT dependent on bullet weight. Instead it's totally dependent on two factors, given the same atmospheric conditions: ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocity.

The 30-grain V-Max has just about exactly the same BC as the 40-grain CCI HP. But the 30 V-max starts out faster, so shoots flatter and drifts less in the wind at any range. I know this not just from theory but from shooting a bunch of different .22 Magnum loads in the field.

Thanks for a clarification to the campfire... I;ll admit to shooting the 30 V Max in the Marlin 22 Mags I have, but not really any more than at the range or at a gopher or two in the yard.. since I live right off of what use to be a golf course...but I've never tested it out for distances out to 200 yds or more...

I know its more accurate that my old tried and true 40 grain CCI HPs and FMJs...

and after Obummer got into office, I tended to load the old 223 bolt action down to those sort of velocities with 40 grain bulk plastic tip bullets and 50 grain TNTs....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ll have to check out the Winchester ammo for sure. Keep feeding the info. I’m new to the varmint and predator scene. Would like to see what I can do with the CZ!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I started my varmint hunting in the 60's with a Savage 24 DL in 22 mag over a 20 ga. It had stamped images of a coyote on one side and a turkey on the other. I thought I had a real hot rod. The only coyotes I ever scored with that gun were with the 20 gauge. The 22 mag made lots of noise but it just wasn't practical for anything bigger than jackrabbits. Bullet drop was much greater than I had expected so I was never able to use it for anything much past 75 yards.

It would appear that you have a better set up but if you're going after coyotes be ready for a quick second shot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
[quote=Mule Deer]Seafire,
Thanks for a clarification to the campfire... I;ll admit to shooting the 30 V Max in the Marlin 22 Mags I have, but not really any more than at the range or at a gopher or two in the yard.. since I live right off of what use to be a golf course...but I've never tested it out for distances out to 200 yds or more...

I know its more accurate that my old tried and true 40 grain CCI HPs and FMJs...
In your rifle maybe but sure as hell not in mine. I've owned a dozen .22 magnum rifles over the years and each is an individual when it comes to what ammo it likes and what it doesn't.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ll be going for squirrels tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll run into a woodchuck and get to see how it performs!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
I feel like when we do go we maybe hunting the tree lines and just inside the tree line. I’m assuming shots maybe up to 150 yds. I do remember seeing a guy take a western coyote at 80 yds with a 22mag pistol. Wasn’t sure how much further a rifle would reach.
Western coyotes are puny little buggers. Not much more than a couple strips of rawhide with fur and eyeballs on it. Where in the East are you located ? Southeastern coyotes look pretty scrawny to me compared to our Northeast dogs too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ll be going for squirrels tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll run into a woodchuck and get to see how it performs!
Works real good on chucks. I've probably killed a thousand or better with mine.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Central PA. From what I understand they are bigger here due to the interbreeding with the wolves that used to be native

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Central PA. From what I understand they are bigger here due to the interbreeding with the wolves that used to be native
I'm in NY. The biggest I've personally killed was 48 lbs. but I've seen bigger. My next door neighbor killed one that weighed 55 and my fur buyer showed me a pair that weighed 62 and 64 pounds. We kill alot in the 35-40 pound range. I imagine it would be similar in Pa.. Head shoot them if you want them down right now. I've had them run 75-100 yards after putting a 40 grain Winchester hp through both lungs broadside from 50 yards. You got woodchucks out in central Pa. this time of year ? They've been in hibernation for months now here.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
You’ll see them now and again. I think the Weather here has been messing with a lot of animal activity

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
22 mag jhp 40 grain cci just deadly.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
As far as you can hit.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ll take that to the bank lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have shot a fair amount of game and predators with the .22 MAG and think that it is a poor choice for coyotes unless the range quite close. 'Cats and foxes are physically built a lot lighter than coyotes, so you might (emphasis on "MIGHT") stretch the range out to 125 yards on them. My preferred 'cat calling rifle is a Remington 597 in .22 MAG loaded with 33 grain plastic tipped bullets. They are sure killers at close range and the ability to have 5 shots available at the squeeze of the trigger is comforting when the 'cat you're shooting at is within 20 yards. I have killed coyotes with a .22 MAG revolver shooting 40, 45, and 50 grain bullets, all within 20 yards and although none went far, none were DRT kills either.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Unfortunately weather didn’t permit today. The snow must have kept the squirrels nestled up

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I’ll take that to the bank lol

It's true.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
100-125 yards, federal premium 30 gr Sierra works pretty good.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
As far as you can hit.

Agreed

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Me thinks that there are different interpretations of what is considered effective range. Or maybe more to the point, what does effective mean to you?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Aiming in the ribs. Humanely harvesting the animal

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
For many years while living in Michigan, a rimfire rifle was all the DNR allowed for night hunting varmints....they all assumed anyone with a centerfire would just poach deer! While they have since changed the law, and centerfires are used at night, I used a .22 Mag for said purposes. The most accurate was a Marlin 883S tube fed gun and it was a true MOA rifle with most brands of ammunition! I used to practice by shooting Egg's at 100 yards off the bench at my gun club.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I’ve used the 22magnum on exactly one bobcat, 5 beavers and a handful opossums and skunks. I shoot the 40g CCI HPs, as they shoot well in my CZ.
I’d keep ranges under 100y for predators and be very careful with my shot placement, do that and you shouldn’t have much fuss.

I was always amazed at the effectiveness of the 22WMR, as it always seems to be far more potent than the numbers said it was.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ky221; 01/16/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
22 mag is THE best fox medicine there is if you want to save hides IMO, unless you enjoy stitching. For Coyotes it is less than desirable. When they finally changed NYs predator law to allow sub 223 cal center fires during deer season, I was first in line to buy a 17 Remington. The 22 mag has been neglected since.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I shoot the Hornady V max 30 gr tipped. My Savage 93 likes them and I am confident on G-hogs out to 150. However I enjoy the challenge of getting closer. Meaning 100yds. we have coyotes on our farm and I will be toting along a fox pro electronic caller for the yotes and G- hogs at the same time.. I will try the Hornady v-max and let you know how it does. I do anticipate a long followup track on lung shots and less of one on head shots. I also realize that I am asking a lot of the 22 mag. Small hammer, big nail.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Aiming in the ribs. Humanely harvesting the animal

Yep.

As far as you can hit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as you can hit...……...but only as good as you can track.

At extended ranges you will get little to no bullet expansion and not even a great deal of penetration. A coyote will go a LOOOOOOOOONG way with a .22 cal hole in it.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

At what range does a 30 grain V-Max stop expanding?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couldn't tell ya...………….

I have more experience with the 5mm Rem Rim Mag than the .22 Mag. I do know that the Aguila 5mm half-jacket HP (2400-2450 fps) stops expanding somewhere inside the range at which I can hit woodchucks. Now, it'll still kill them with a ribcage hit. But woodchucks ain't coyotes. I'd not hesitate to shoot a coyote 150 yards or so. But much farther, I think a good tracking snow and lots of spare time would be in order.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a model 24 Savage that had a 22 mag as the top barrel that rode around in my farm truck for 20 years. On chucks, feral cats, barn rats, squirrels and other like size vermin it was DRT out to 100 yards plus with 40 gr hollow points. Killed a good many fox with it as well mostly under 50 yards. Shot at 2 Pa coyotes with it. One at about 50 yards and it folded when the gun cracked. Another at about 150 yards, let out a yipe and never saw him again. Didn't try all that hard to find the filthy bugger to be honest but am confident he wound up dead.

It always amazed me how much better the 22 Mag kills better than the 22 LR

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use a 22 mag on coyotes in places where a louder report may stir up the neighbors. My favorite load was the 40 gr Remington soft points followed by the 50 gr Federal hollow points. The various 40 gr hollow points were down the line with the 45 gr Dynapoints by Winchester are far behind. I haven't tried the lighter bullets much, I blundered into a pretty good supply of 40 gr bullets and wish to use them up before trying other bullets.

I found the effective range being what has been mentioned- 100 yards is about max. I prefer closer but if there is some snow I feel comfortable out to 100 or a little more as I can track them down when they run. Given a choice I would prefer a 9mm chambered carbine or similar pistol cartridge to the same distance but a 22 WMR is also capable.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Couldn't tell ya...………….

I have more experience with the 5mm Rem Rim Mag than the .22 Mag. I do know that the Aguila 5mm half-jacket HP (2400-2450 fps) stops expanding somewhere inside the range at which I can hit woodchucks. Now, it'll still kill them with a ribcage hit. But woodchucks ain't coyotes. I'd not hesitate to shoot a coyote 150 yards or so. But much farther, I think a good tracking snow and lots of spare time would be in order.

In my experience, not many people can punch the lungs of a coyote much further than 150yds with their 22 mag. Although I highly doubt they stop becoming effective at 180.

So like I say, as far as you can hit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dunno...... Have shot 'chucks to a whisker under 300 with the 5mm. The .22 Mag doesn't shoot as flat. But a coyote is a substantially fatter target than a groundhog. If he'll stand still, I'll run a coyote in the ribs at 300 with one of my 5's. But it'd be like using an FMJ in the 5mm. The V-Max load for the .22 Mag drops under 1000 fps right at 200 yards. I'm guessing it's running outta gas to reliably be used on coyotes right in there somewhere.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ok.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In Maryland we have no closed season on yotes. So, they are a target of opportunity. I just want to kill them by any means possible. They have really impacted our deer hunting the last 4 years. recovery is not a requirement. Just a bonus. The 22 mag FMJ could be my answer, penetration and guaranteed upset with bone impact.. Or the V-max and expansion.. all of 5-7 inches at best.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
have shot an assortment of yotes & hogs with the 22mag...the CCI gamepoint load will usually punch on through most coyotes at 100 yards with broadside shots, and will still plow through the rib cage of medium size hogs. With lungs shots, both usually make a short dash & then pile up. Shoulder shots with the Gamepoints seem to pretty often dump yotes right there on the spot.

I believe the Remington 40gr SP that Woodmaster81 mentioned is the same load, which was loaded by ATK and sold by Remington....and, Fiocchi also sells the same Gamepoint load for a bit cheaper price.

For a bit more expansion the Winchester HP has been a favorite.

============================================================

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by cs2blue
In Maryland we have no closed season on yotes. So, they are a target of opportunity. I just want to kill them by any means possible. They have really impacted our deer hunting the last 4 years. recovery is not a requirement. Just a bonus. The 22 mag FMJ could be my answer, penetration and guaranteed upset with bone impact.. Or the V-max and expansion.. all of 5-7 inches at best.

FMJ, really bad choice. Probably illegal. Second, they zip right through and I have had coyotes not even feel them pass through!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed on the FMJ as to penetration. I was pretty surprised when a FMJ went through 6 water filled gallon milk jugs and the bullet was in perfect condition aside from the rifling grooves. I might use those for something edible like rabbits or squirrels, but nothing larger.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Very intro that the 22 mag is so alive and well;!! the rags say its dead and the .17 is the future a {.!7 SUPER} the second coming!~! I still bought a cz 22mag Lux! good to Know its not Quit dead yet as the rags seem to say! Enjoy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
get off the rag.......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wouldn’t hesitate on a 150 yard coyote. Just don’t expect it to react like you’re shooting a .22-250.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.