Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Someone in jest mentioned this place becoming like graybeard outdoors. That place looks like it’s on life support. And has been dying for a few years. Not much happening their to keep the attention. What’s your experience been in that site?

GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Never heard of it. Maybe that's their problem.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was an ok site many years ago, but was bought out, along with many others, by anti 2nd amendment interests. Should be avoided.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bunch of Care Bears, over zealous moderating over there. Fûck that place.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Try the S&W forum.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The moderation was brutal, owner Bill must sit on his keyboard anxiously waiting for a rulebreaker. His classifieds rules were pure comedy.

It is a good place to trade T/C stuff.

This place is a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 01/09/19.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I look at Graybeard Outdoors every now and then, it's a good place if you are into single shot rifles like the TC and Handi Rifles. Outside of that, I agree it is on life support form what is was a few years ago. You think it's bad though, try Hunttalk.com, that place is really on life support. I can go weeks without looking at either site and catch up in just a matter of minutes when I do go back to them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was a big member of Graybeard for years. And then, it was about 10 years ago, I got fed up with them, wrote them a nice "goodbye" post and they have never seen me since.
Someone said they were "overmoderating." I think that was the problem I think it was Mr. Graybeard himself I had some run ins with.
They used to be a good web site.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was a big member of Graybeard for years. And then, it was about 10 years ago, I got fed up with them, wrote them a nice "goodbye" post and they have never seen me since.
Someone said they were "overmoderating." I think that was the problem I think it was Mr. Graybeard himself I had some run ins with.
They used to be a good web site.

Same here.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Been a member there for years. I visit the forum daily for a few minutes checking the Contender classifieds forum and the political forum. There are some good characters there and the interaction there isn't as brutal as it can be here on the "Fire". As far as moderating goes I am amazed about how close a tab they are able to keep on both the classifieds and the rest of the forum. That said yes the traffic is down there as it is on this forum. Moderating is a part of it but in general I feel we are an aging group and prefer to actually reload and shoot, run the dogs and the grandkids, fish and watch TV or any other thing that is interesting enough to pay attention to. I would just about bet the average age on the hunting/shooting forums is reaching 60 and by now most of us already know what we need to know about shooting. Most of us have already done a lot of hunting too. As for the new cartridges so what? My 270, 7x57 and 30-06 were more than acceptable at the tasks I put them to and I don't need a high BC bullet 6.5 to shoot at animals 600 yards away because I don't do that sort of thing. Possibly some don't participate in these kind of forums because they don't want their gun interests exposed on the internet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
There is only one decent outdoors site on the 'net. And anyone reading this obviously knows where it is.

Accurate reloading is as bad as Greybeard. Years ago a guide in Argentina made the proclamation that the members of AR could not shoot. "You guys can't shoot", and then went on to expound on how many of his clients had missed shots, made poor shots, or not taken shots at stag.

I responded that a hunter does not need anyone holding him by the hand and pointing to game animals, nor does a marksman need coached through a shot.

I did not get kicked off, but I surely was.not very popular after. And I soon abandoned the place altogether.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are allowed to post only if he fully agrees with what is posted. I left there long ago.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have not looked on that site for at least 2 years, maybe I should go see if anything has changed.

Last edited by centershot; 01/09/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
15 years ago Graybeards banned me for putting too much Unique in 45/70 handi rifle.
I'm sure they made the right decision.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Was an ok site many years ago, but was bought out, along with many others, by anti 2nd amendment interests. Should be avoided.

I was on that forum for years, mostly as a lurker. After the buyout, I left. IMR the are owned by a Toronto company that is pushing a serious anti-gun agenda.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
[quote=fishdog52]Was an ok site many years ago, but was bought out, along with many others, by anti 2nd amendment interests. Should be avoided.

I was on that forum for years, mostly as a lurker. After the buyout, I left. IMR the are owned by a Toronto company that is pushing a serious anti-gun agenda.

Pro-Gun Control Group Owns . . .

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I think the same outfit also owns trapshooters.com, which seems to be moderated by the soup Nazi or someone.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was a member there ,a couple of years ago the look of it changed and they made me change my password and I forgot it. Didn't care enough to reset it. Greybeard controlled it too much based on his opinion. Like everyone his opinion was wrong a lot.He wouldn't let people discuss things freely. I got tired of it. Lots of differing opinions here too but here you aren't banned or threatened by administrators for voicing an opinion.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Still am a member there, although half the time I have to reset my password as I forget it. Go on once in a while to look at a couple of specific items. Low traffic there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around 2002-2003ish I volunteered to moderate a forum there, I think it was the medium bore rifle forum. To my surprise, I was given the job.

At the time the entire forum was very heavily moderated. I never took a single action as moderator and just let the chips fall where they may. In fact, I even stopped posting and just lurked occasionally. Several remarks were made about the freedom in that particular forum at times due to lack of moderation. Eventually, I lost all interest there having discovered 24hr Campfire and quit logging in at all. After what may have been a couple years later, I received a scathing email from Bill informing me of the un-moderated arguments ensuing in my assigned forum followed by a terse notice that I was fired as moderator. grin

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.