Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Sam

I plan on having several of each of those patterns cut by water jet and then have material left
to cut out special patterns with band saw.
Then it is flat grind, bevel grind, drill and heat treat.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
So: How do those 9 patterns look to you guys?????
Also steel available for the custom pattern blade to.

Thanks
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd be interested in Pattern #6, the Loveless style drop point; except, I'd like a small (1/8" diameter) sharpening choil next to the finger guard, and the blade sharpened all the way to the sharpening choil. Is that doable?

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
shinebone
That is doable.
You send me a pattern of exactly what you want and we can do that.

I had a couple complaints from customers who got a knife with the blade done as you requested.
The complaint was that the hide would catch in the choil and not cut when opening up deer etc.
I don't see that as an issue because I don't usually have the very back of the cutting edge do much cutting.
So, sometimes I do an angled step there and sometimes straight back and sharpen to to ricasso.

But, as stated above, we can do it however you want it and and send me a hard copy of the profile.

Thanks
Tim

PS: the pattern request is for two reasons. Give you what you want. Not have an issue when get it in hand due to my interpretation of request.

Albert Einstein

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
michiganroadkill - PM sent

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Just sent you a PM.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
So: How do those 9 patterns look to you guys?????
Also steel available for the custom pattern blade to.

Thanks
Tim

Put me down for a "5 inch Skinner"

PM incoming

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Update
I have not cut out any blade blanks yet.
As it stands now, I would think that the first finished knives would start being ready around early March +++.

Unless I missed someone I have the following members lined up for knives out of this M4 batch. -Some details still open.

Mannlicher
troutfisher13111
MILES58
War_Eagle
fshaw
CrowRifle
shinbone
geedubya
TimZ
FishinHank
wwy

PS: that is probably a plate full for now

Thanks
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 01/15/19.

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Update
The cutting out of the standard patterns shown in the pic above has gone sour.
It seems the 24"x36" sheet of M4 moved during the cut operation.
Some blades came out okay, some are trashed and some did not get cut at all due to stopping
the operation.
Not a pretty sight at $20/lb for the steel.

Also the hand cutting out of spec'd custom patterns is not going that well. It seems that I am going thru about $2 per inch of
cut in metal cutting band saw blades which besides costly the changing bands constantly is a pain in the butt.

But I truck on as temperature in the garage permits and all will come out well in the end.
Be patient please.
Anything before April will be iffy at best.
Tim

Albert Einstein

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tim - Sorry to hear about the setbacks. For myself, I know skilled handwork takes time, so I am ready to be patient. Plus, a well-made knife from the best materials will last multiple generations, so a few extra months for production is not a problem. JMHO

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by shinbone
Tim - Sorry to hear about the setbacks. For myself, I know skilled handwork takes time, so I am ready to be patient. Plus, a well-made knife from the best materials will last multiple generations, so a few extra months for production is not a problem. JMHO

+1

and that will give me more time to rob my grandkid's piggy banks!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/06/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
GWB
From the VAST pics we have seen of your knives, I am thinking there is not much left in those kid's piggy banks.
Actually a couple of those 5" skinners were a couple of the blanks that came out ok on the first go round
Tim

Albert Einstein

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm not worried about timing. Looking forward to the knife.

Frank

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I have what is left of the skeleton and the blanks that did get cut at home and looks like
all the business we have going here is safe. The blanks to customer specs I have are hand cut out. Still be a while till knives complete.

I do have some areas of the steel sheet not cut, but the processor I was working with walked away from this, stopped
what they had in process and said they would not ever cut knife blanks again.
Note: They are adjacent to the building White River Knife and Tool was in (moved in Nov) and had bad experiences with
them an did not want to do any more blades for anyone. I had used them for 9 years now. Guy I had dealt with in the past
left and now I am a goner too.

So. In a nut shell the commitments I made here will be met. It will be a bit yet.
Still to do: Clean up profile, surface grind, drill holes, rough bevel grind, pre-fit guards where needed, heat treat, finish bevel grind
and then start on handles, finishing, sharpening, sheaths etc. ---- and it is February already. Oh and yeah, it is 10 degrees in the garage this am.
I will keep you all posted here.
Thanks for the business and patience.
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 02/09/19.

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
MRK I don't think anyone on here doubts you will come through. You are a stand up guy. Good communication, how can a guy not understand what you are dealing with. Keep warm buddy and keep up the great work.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No worries Tim! Sorry you have to deal with this situation, and I don't mind waiting as long as it takes. I am also looking forward to the knife.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No worries on my end Tim. Wishing you warm thoughts. We set a record here last week...79F on Feb 7th. I'm already planting tomatoes!

Keep us updated and hopefully things smooth out for you.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Quick update.
I have all the blade blanks cut out for all knives on order here plus a couple for me.
I dug out a die grinder I had purchased years back and whittled some of the remaining skeleton into submission.

Right now I am watching the system snow and lake effect snow blow in the cold and wind.

I would guess that in April I will have some finished work, but........
Tim

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tim,

Starting in May I will be back and forth to Canada for 5 days at a time. Don't have a hard schedule yet. Just a heads up in case you have trouble getting ahold of me when the time comes. I won't begin any serious cutting of Bambi before mid September so you can take all the time you need. I do tend to shoot the first one within a day or two of the opener so this year that is September 14.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
FYI
I have gotten started on surface grinding blanks and then getting them laid out
for holes and primary bevels etc.
Hope to have approx two dozen ready and out for a heat treatment batch by end of March.
Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

569 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.