Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Anyone here used their 835 ulti-mag with buckshot loads for deer hunting?

What I’d like is any direct experience information for choke type for 00 buckshot, 3” mag shells.

I was thinking I/C choke or possibly Skeet. I’d like guidance before I start buying chokes.

Thanks in advance for any and all info you gents might could lend.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Unfortunately, the only way to make a definitive answer is by shooting. The very general rule is the larger the shot size, the less choke needed for "best" patterns. This has been skewed by various factors such as shot hardness, buffering, wad type, velocity, etc which will have varying affects on patterns.

Then there are gun factors that will play a role as every barrel and even choke will often act differently than the one before or after it on the manufacturing line. Barrel diameter can play a part, in many cases larger diameter barrels can result in less pellet deformation giving better patterns. Then again, sometimes they don't. Same for chokes, it depends on the gun and choke and load as to what patterns you will get. Another general rule on chokes is those that are longer and have a strait section after the constriction give tighter patterns.

I would expect best results to come from Modified, Skeet 2/Light Modified, or maybe Improved Cylinder with many loads. I wouldn't be surprised if Improved Modified provides the tightest patterns with some load types. As I said, you will need to pattern the chosen load in your gun with whatever choke you decide on. You may have to change one or the other or even both to get the results you want.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Unfortunately, the only way to make a definitive answer is by shooting. The very general rule is the larger the shot size, the less choke needed for "best" patterns. This has been skewed by various factors such as shot hardness, buffering, wad type, velocity, etc which will have varying affects on patterns.

Then there are gun factors that will play a role as every barrel and even choke will often act differently than the one before or after it on the manufacturing line. Barrel diameter can play a part, in many cases larger diameter barrels can result in less pellet deformation giving better patterns. Then again, sometimes they don't. Same for chokes, it depends on the gun and choke and load as to what patterns you will get. Another general rule on chokes is those that are longer and have a strait section after the constriction give tighter patterns.

I would expect best results to come from Modified, Skeet 2/Light Modified, or maybe Improved Cylinder with many loads. I wouldn't be surprised if Improved Modified provides the tightest patterns with some load types. As I said, you will need to pattern the chosen load in your gun with whatever choke you decide on. You may have to change one or the other or even both to get the results you want.

Yeah, I see this as being a quest of sorts with many, many factors leading to the optimum.

Thanks Woodsmaster.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Every shotgun is different , and I have no experience with 835s . More of a Remington fan but try a full or even Super Full first . My 870 Supermag 3 1/2" will put 12 out of 15 00 pellets in a hat at 40 yds. Try a couple different brands of buckshot too .

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Limiting your shots to around 30 yards Max on as close to broadside Deer as possible will give the most consistent results, IE dead Deer, irregardless of choke, shotgun or shells used. It is a close range game, and trying to stretch it with chokes is a fools game.

Addition: Don't be expecting much of a blood trail to follow, but expect them to normally run. One of the reasons tracking/trailing Dogs are often used in places where Buckshot is legal.

You are using a relatively inefficient-for the size of the game-and unpredictable projectile.

Last edited by battue; 01/09/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Every shotgun is different , and I have no experience with 835s . More of a Remington fan but try a full or even Super Full first . My 870 Supermag 3 1/2" will put 12 out of 15 00 pellets in a hat at 40 yds. Try a couple different brands of buckshot too .

I’m going to start off this way with the turkey choke tube it has and use copper coated, plastic buffered lead loads and go from there.
Thanks for the info on yours .

Side note upon reflection:
A friend’s dad used to shoot a browning 12gauge, 2 3/4” with a 32” bbl full choke and it performed like you described yours as doing. The old gent killed many with that set up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (1badf350, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,856
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.