Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Judman
Selway is a stupid Steep sumbitch for sure, just not the devils club, maple, tag worst of briars like we have.. Wish there were some in the selway like the 80's and early 90's....

Devil's club is appropriately named, for sure. It adds another level of miserableness, and I sure am glad it doesn't grow far from the coast. In that sense, I'll agree the Selway doesn't compare.

I grew up hunting the Selway, riding in from the Montana side into Idaho. I've seen mules loose their footing, fall off the trail and start tumbling, never to be seen again. Steep defines many of the drainages and once you're off the trail, it's sometimes not safe even on foot. How critters live on those slopes is beyond me.

That's a fact buddy!!! I wouldn't be surprised if the state record whitetail comes from up selway falls country....

First year I hunted over there 20 some years ago we stopped by a taxidermist place in kamiah. He lost his packstring up there and was in pretty much a full body cast... Can lucky it didn't kill him.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The last time I brought horses into the area I hunted in the Selway this fall, the trip ended with me putting a bullet in my dad’s horse from a broken leg and punctured guts. Broke my heart honestly, and I turned around and came out without hunting a single day.

The only good to come of that trip was that my buddy stayed up there and killed a whopper of a bear off of the carcass.

Haven’t hunted off horses since...which is a shame considering how much of the work load they once shouldered for me.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Selway is a stupid Steep sumbitch for sure, just not the devils club, maple, tag worst of briars like we have.. Wish there were some in the selway like the 80's and early 90's....

Devil's club is appropriately named, for sure. It adds another level of miserableness, and I sure am glad it doesn't grow far from the coast. In that sense, I'll agree the Selway doesn't compare.

I grew up hunting the Selway, riding in from the Montana side into Idaho. I've seen mules loose their footing, fall off the trail and start tumbling, never to be seen again. Steep defines many of the drainages and once you're off the trail, it's sometimes not safe even on foot. How critters live on those slopes is beyond me.

That's a fact buddy!!! I wouldn't be surprised if the state record whitetail comes from up selway falls country....

First year I hunted over there 20 some years ago we stopped by a taxidermist place in kamiah. He lost his packstring up there and was in pretty much a full body cast... Can lucky it didn't kill him.

Doesn't suprise me, unfortunately.
Truth be told, Selway Falls is pretty mild compared to ridges and canyons further upstream, as well as in the Lochsa drainage.

Dave, I have been there...done that. Sucks ass but it is what it is. The [bleep] of Goat Heaven Peaks and Pack Box Pass both have caused me to put down an animal.

Last edited by T_Inman; 01/07/19.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For sure, that's the farthest I saw a fair number of whitetail personally. You must came across the Darby rd from Montana?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes sir, I've driven that road many times...over Nez Perce Pass and on to Elk City or to Paradise Guard Station.

More than that though I have ridden horses over most of the passes that cross from Montana into Idaho in the Selway Wilderness and into most lakes back in there...all the way to the Selway River. Moose Creek, White Cap Creek, Heavenly Twins, you name it.

My old stomping grounds...we're getting a bit off topic though...

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No, were not.... Grin

God's country for sure...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Why winch out when you can call a Medevac? After all, the Elk is seriously injured.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by fredIII
Like has been stated earlier the road system in the coast of wa and or adds much more accessible, Than some of the areas east. That said I kill when and where the opportunity occurs. Pack fram never sits in the rafters. 😉

You guys have devilsclubs In Idaho?

Just having a little fun with you guys. I like eating elk on a daily basis and the only way I've figured out how to do that is to shoot them where they stand. For me, that's usually miles from a road. Didn't intend to twist any thongs.

Last edited by wyoelk; 01/07/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Like has been stated earlier the road system in the coast of wa and or adds much more accessible, Than some of the areas east. That said I kill when and where the opportunity occurs. Pack fram never sits in the rafters. 😉

Just having a little fun with you guys. I like eating elk on a daily basis and the only way I've figured out how to do that is to shoot them where they stand. For me, that's usually miles from a road. Didn't intend to twist any thongs.

All good wyo. Thread got twisted Fire style earlier than your post. A few like to put on their inner Superman outfit and try to fly. I’m guilty of it too...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Beaver10

All good wyo. Thread got twisted Fire style earlier than your post. A few like to put on their inner Superman outfit and try to fly. I’m guilty of it too...😎

My Superman thong got all kinds of twisted.... gonna need a spoil of cable, a winch, and a .33 cal Uber Mag to dislodge it....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Doesn't matter...post more pictures and all is forgiven.

I have not even seen hills like that in my nightmares.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

My Superman thong got all kinds of twisted.... gonna need a spoil of cable, a winch, and a .33 cal Uber Mag to dislodge it....

My retinas hurt at this image...

Doggy, Fred and I finally finished reading the 1Fish-2 Fish-Red Fish-Blue Fish book you recommended. I helped Freddy with the big words “Fa-fa-fa-fist, he kept saying but he got fish out eventually...Fred helped me with all the math in the book...We’re both still a little confused on the colors of fish. Thanks, FredIII and Beav 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Why winch out when you can call a Medevac? After all, the Elk is seriously injured.

Do elk carry insurance? A friend of mine did a helicopter trip like that and the bill was 40 grand. His insurance covered all but $250.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Why not just cut the darn thing up and leave all the junk in the woods? I never have, nor would I, take a whole elk home. It is a lot easier to load quarters, or boned-out meat, than the complete carcass.

As I read it, he was looking for retrieval strap, not knives for cutting it up.

We pulled this bull out in one piece using Mule Tape and 4 wheelers by staying on the road and pulling the tape around the hitch of the other 4 wheeler. A 1000 yards is over half a mile...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's awesome!

Did only one wheeler move?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, you drive the one 4 wheeler down the road, pulling the elk up the hill at a 90 degree angle around the ball on the rear of the stationary 4 wheeler...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Why not just cut the darn thing up and leave all the junk in the woods? I never have, nor would I, take a whole elk home. It is a lot easier to load quarters, or boned-out meat, than the complete carcass.

We pulled this bull out in one piece using Mule Tape and 4 wheelers by staying on the road and pulling the tape around the hitch of the other 4 wheeler. A 1000 yards is over half a mile...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's awesome!

At least 3 ATVs, at least 4 guys, 1000 ft of line available, dually game cart.
That is the flattest elk terrain I have ever seen. Ranch?

I would characterize that accomplishment as falling somewhere short of awesome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alamosa

At least 3 ATVs, at least 4 guys, 1000 ft of line available.

What you don’t see is only eclipsed by what you don’t know. Your reading skills are lacking as well, it was 1000 yards not feet and in the Gravelly Mountains of Southwest Montana, miles and miles from any ranch. The Bull was bigger than most of the culls you are used to in Colorado and the guy that shot it would probably leave your sorry ass in the dust without a 4 wheeler. Spend more time criticizing your own accomplishments, don’t waste your time second guessing someone else’s success...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by tzone

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's awesome!

At least 3 ATVs, at least 4 guys, 1000 ft of line available, dually game cart.

You live in Colorado let’s see the picture of the elk you kill! let’s hear how you addressed the removal. Please, share if only so we can be entertained.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What you don’t see is only eclipsed by what you don’t know. Your reading skills are lacking as well, it was 1000 yards not feet and in the Gravelly Mountains of Southwest Montana, miles and miles from any ranch. The Bull was bigger than most of the culls you are used to in Colorado and the guy that shot it would probably leave your sorry ass in the dust without a 4 wheeler. Spend more time criticizing your own accomplishments, don’t waste your time second guessing someone else’s success...

OK, yards ... so having a machine drag it further is a greater accomplishment?
Anyone can see for themselves how flat it is from your own photo. Call it mountains if you like but you can't hide it.
Leaving an old man like myself in the dust is no accomplishment, but he would first have to make it to timberline (without the ATV).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

OK, yards ... so having a machine drag it further is a greater accomplishment?
Anyone can see for themselves how flat it is from your own photo. Call it mountains if you like but you can't hide it.
Leaving an old man like myself in the dust is no accomplishment, but he would first have to make it to timberline (without the ATV).

What satisfaction do you get to criticize what someone else does. The purpose of the thread was to display techniques of winching out an elk. You have to satisfy your need to find fault with our method for no apparent reason. Just why do you need to do that?

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 48 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.