Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one of these on order ASAP. Just have to figure out which cartridge. Leaning towards 7mm-08 or 6.5 PRC. I just got an X3 .300 WSM and Mesa 6.5 CM.

http://montanarifleco.com/rifles/xar/

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well, they got rid of the crazy long barrel shank, anyhow. Being a new model with the new ownership, I wonder if it will have the kinks worked out that plagued the previous models. Hopefully.

Pretty lousy cartridge selection though. Hopefully that will expand.

Last edited by KenMi; 01/10/19.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
They do state you can get non standard chamberings. I'm not worried about any problems. Based on my experience I doubt their rate of issues was significantly different than most others. They were, however, doing a terrible jobcorrecting them when the arose. New leadership already seems to be improving this.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
The thing is- "Non standard" chamberings are an upgrade. So, from the X3, you already have to pay $100 more to upgrade to a lighter gun. Then if you don't want one of the few chamberings, you have to pay a upgrade fee, because it is "non standard". Why don't they just offer the same list of cartridges, on a build to order basis, like the X3? Or is this going to be an on the shelf rifle at dealers, more so than the X3?

Last edited by KenMi; 01/10/19.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
You're probably right, but you're making some assumptions. I have no clue if there is an up charge (probably is) for a non standard clamberings or if it just means a longer lead time. Also, at this point I doubt anyone knows what the real world price on these is. That said, most companies offer a pretty limited selection of chamberings and that's what you're stuck with. At least with this you have options. I'm ok with paying to get what I want.

Last edited by ammoman16; 01/10/19.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First Montana Rifle Co. offering that has peaked my interest in a long time. I wonder what street price will be.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Cooper backcountry is now in LH. A 280 AI is currently on Gunbroker.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cheaper and lighter than a LH Ridgeline... Limited standard cartridge selection, tho they offer the two I would be interested in (270, 6.5CM). One custom project to wrap up. Then, we'll see what the early adopters have to say after the SHOT Show... smile

EDIT: Noticed that the new MRC website also lists what appear to be fairly realistic weights for the entire product line...

Last edited by Orion2000; 01/10/19.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
When do they expect to hit the street with this?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I called my dealer today. He said that he'll try to get in touch with them, but he thinks that there's basically nobody there right now with all the shows going on. I asked him to get me a price on 6.5 PRC and 7mm-08.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I noticed that if you click on "view spec sheet" you can get a PDF of the rifle specs. It says MSRP is $1975 there vs. $1699 on the site.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
First Montana Rifle Co. offering that has peaked my interest in a long time. I wonder what street price will be.

Agreed. Good looking rifle. Chamberings seem okay for 5lb.+ lightweight offerings... the 6.5 barrel length could be 22" rather than 24"..so could the other SAs....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by broomd

Agreed. Good looking rifle. Chamberings seem okay for 5lb.+ lightweight offerings... the 6.5 barrel length could be 22" rather than 24"..so could the other SAs....

Yessir. That was the biggest negative I noticed. 22" would've been better. It looks like the flutes run too far for a guy to cut and crown.
Originally Posted by ammoman16
I noticed that if you click on "view spec sheet" you can get a PDF of the rifle specs. It says MSRP is $1975 there vs. $1699 on the site.

Saw that. Hopefully the higher price is a mistake. Even at $1699.00 they're fighting a uphill battle, IMO. Lots of other well established, lighter rifles to choose from... If a guy's not a leftie.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Two thoughts on the 24" barrels. First, not everyone who buys rifles is 24HCF edumacated about short barrels. Second, there are still some old pharts around that are O.K. with a 24" tube to give a rifle a little more weight forward balance. The 24" barrel on the 6.5 CM was actually one of the attractions for me.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I don't understand how the pricing doesn't align. You'd think they'd have a process in place to verify that, especially on a new flagship rifle.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Plenty of errors on the site. On the one page, they list the weight of the X3 the same as the XAR. I'd bet the $1995 is reality.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by KenMi
Plenty of errors on the site. On the one page, they list the weight of the X3 the same as the XAR. I'd bet the $1995 is reality.

I noticed that too, but when you click on the X3 they have accurate weights. Someone needs to have a talk with their web designer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yessir. That was the biggest negative I noticed. 22" would've been better. It looks like the flutes run too far for a guy to cut and crown.

Yep... was thinking the same thing about the fluting. A guy might be able to cut one inch off and recrown, but probably not enough to make much of a weight difference anyway.

The Kimber Adirondacks are getting away with 18" barrels, compare that to a 24" tube, probably knocking off 3-4 oz of steel weight.

A sorted 'superlight' needs those tweeks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000
.... O.K. with a 24" tube to give a rifle a little more weight forward balance. The 24" barrel on the 6.5 CM was actually one of the attractions for me.

Balance? We don't need no stinkin' balance! laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two thoughts on the 24" barrels. First, not everyone who buys rifles is 24HCF edumacated about short barrels. Second, there are still some old pharts around that are O.K. with a 24" tube to give a rifle a little more weight forward balance. The 24" barrel on the 6.5 CM was actually one of the attractions for me.

Yah, they are obviously never going to please everyone. I'd be fine with a 24", it definitely wouldn't be a deal breaker, if I liked everything else on the spec sheet.

But I prefer 22" these days. Even if all they did was end the flutes a bit further back, a cut and crown isn't a big deal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a MRC Extreme X2, and very happy with the build quality and accuracy.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think I have had five MRC actions or rifles pass through my hands. Despite their virtues, I would never put "MRC" and "true mountain rifle" together in the same sentence.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

They also have my attention.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by utah708
I think I have had five MRC actions or rifles pass through my hands. Despite their virtues, I would never put "MRC" and "true mountain rifle" together in the same sentence.

So you've handled the new one then?

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Nope, but the amount of weight in the action puts them behind the curve for a true mountain rifle from the outset. The MRC bolt I just weighed is 14.5 oz, and a NULA 9.5. The MRC is derived from blending the M70 and M98 action--neither of which are light weight. Just pull a MRC from a stock and look at the amount of metal below the waterline and you will see what I mean.

There is also the chance that advertised and actual weight for the rifle will differ. The Extreme X2 was advertised at 6# 14oz, but as the thread below indicates, some were substantially heavier than that:

"Overweight" X2 Extreme

I have the exact gun discussed in the thread above--one of the special order of 1-8 twist .243 Win, and its bare weight on a accurate digital scale is 7# 10 oz . That is 3/4# more than the advertised weight.

I have no bone to pick with MRC. I bought two or three of their $350 charter sale actions just when they were starting out, and as someone who grew up in Montana, I thought a Montana action would be a cool thing. They can be the basis for fine rifles; just know that it is not a light design.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kilmanjaro and some of the previous MRC Smiths would put the Kurtz Mt. Rifle style lightening channel on the MRC and then they shaved some weight off the magazine by Swiss cheesing it. I think some even bored out the bolt and put in an aluminum liner. But the Kilmanjaro mountain and ladies rifle were pretty trim.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
From my notes when I tinkered with action weights in the past:

MRC SA CM action with Factory BM = 45.9 oz
MRC SA CM action with LW BM = 41.7 oz
Win SA CM action with factory BM = 41.3 oz
Rem SA SS action with HS Gen1 DBM + Mag = 40.6 oz - (HS DBM + Mag ~5 oz heavier than factory BDL BM)
Rem SA SS action ADL Config = ~33 oz
Custom Titanium Receiver ADL config = ~22 oz.

I agree with utah708, the MRC action is not the place to start for a true fly weight rifle. However, if they can meet the advertised rifle weight for the MRC Ascent, I am still interested.

EDIT: First 5 data points above are sample size of one. Titanium weight based off manufacturer website with titanium bolt option. Cannot recall which brand.

Last edited by Orion2000; 01/16/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From my notes when I tinkered with action weights in the past:

MRC SA CM action with Factory BM = 45.9 oz
MRC SA CM action with LW BM = 41.7 oz
Win SA CM action with factory BM = 41.3 oz
Rem SA SS action with HS Gen1 DBM + Mag = 40.6 oz - (HS DBM + Mag ~5 oz heavier than factory BDL BM)
Rem SA SS action ADL Config = ~33 oz
Custom Titanium Receiver ADL config = ~22 oz.

I agree with utah708, the MRC action is not the place to start for a true fly weight rifle. However, if they can meet the advertised rifle weight for the MRC Ascent, I am still interested.

EDIT: First 5 data points above are sample size of one. Titanium weight based off manufacturer website with titanium bolt option. Cannot recall which brand.

That's a fantastic posting for those of us who value an ultralight rifle build. Thanks for taking the time.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Lots of good information there.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The surprise for me was that the Win SA set up with PTG light weight BM was actually only slightly heavier than the Rem SA factory set up. I had a scheme in mind to convert a LH Win SA WSM action over to LH Win SA Standard action. However, got distracted and sold the project before I started commissioning metal work.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought a LH Forbes in 7-08 very nice LW rifle that balances like a heavier rifle. Accurate could not build one for what I paid for it. Very impressed with my Tikka LH 6.5 Creedmoor also. Not so with MRC rifles.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by utah708
Nope, but the amount of weight in the action puts them behind the curve for a true mountain rifle from the outset. The MRC bolt I just weighed is 14.5 oz, and a NULA 9.5. The MRC is derived from blending the M70 and M98 action--neither of which are light weight. Just pull a MRC from a stock and look at the amount of metal below the waterline and you will see what I mean.

There is also the chance that advertised and actual weight for the rifle will differ. The Extreme X2 was advertised at 6# 14oz, but as the thread below indicates, some were substantially heavier than that:

"Overweight" X2 Extreme

I have the exact gun discussed in the thread above--one of the special order of 1-8 twist .243 Win, and its bare weight on a accurate digital scale is 7# 10 oz . That is 3/4# more than the advertised weight.

I have no bone to pick with MRC. I bought two or three of their $350 charter sale actions just when they were starting out, and as someone who grew up in Montana, I thought a Montana action would be a cool thing. They can be the basis for fine rifles; just know that it is not a light design.

A couple points. First, I understand the size and weight of the action, as I have owned/handled quite a few. That doesn't necessarily make it impossible to make a sub 6lb gun. The biggest challenge they are likely to have is getting it to balance well. Second, the advertised weight vs tje actual weight of your X2 is in no way relevant as that was a marketing practice of prior leadership. The X3 I have is within about an ounce of it's advertised weight.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Handled a righty Saturday at DSC. Finish was good. Balanced okay to me. Thanked them for offering these in left hand. Contact Robert Perry MRC marketing. Told him about this forum. He said call him direct. Phone 406-756-4867 extension 207.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Scott270, Glad to hear that the balance felt O.K. Also, that the marketing rep is putting his contact info "out there".

Ammoman, Glad to hear that the new X3 is close to it's advertised weight. That is a start. However, trust is earned, not given. The new crew at MRC will have their work cut out to rebuild the trust and reputation that the previous regime trashed. Not picking a fight. Just stating the obvious that they are in a steep rebuild mode at the moment. I sincerely wish them well...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottf270
Handled a righty Saturday at DSC. Finish was good. Balanced okay to me. Thanked them for offering these in left hand. Contact Robert Perry MRC marketing. Told him about this forum. He said call him direct. Phone 406-756-4867 extension 207.

Thanks for taking the time and effort with this.

If the weights are realistically in the upper 5lb range, I may consider one of these rifles. I don't live too far from Kalispell, I'd likely drive up there and look them over.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, thank you very much for your feedback, scott270.

Hope you take that drive, broomd... wink

I really hope these XARs work out. Both for MRCs sake, and ours.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I handled a X3 (of course, RH) last week. Of course, the bolt seems to add to the weight, but it balanced well. I am seriously considering placing an order for a 7mm-08. Some of the negative customer service feedback concerns me.

Does anyone own one and have any comments?

Thanks. DJB

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Finally got pricing from my dealer. $1500. The 6.5 PRC is a no go however. Looks like I'm getting it in 7mm-08.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Finally got pricing from my dealer. $1500. The 6.5 PRC is a no go however. Looks like I'm getting it in 7mm-08.

Did you ever receive an ETA ? ... Just curious.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
6-8 months. I talked to the dealer to actually place the order the other day and he forgot that it was supposed to be LH. He's supposed to get back in touch with me Wed. I'll post any updates I get.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Appreciate the update. Just curious what the "real" all up weight turns out to be...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When the weather breaks I'm going to get out the sport touring bike, grab the wife and head to Kalispell for an overnight trip.
Hopefully I'll be able to look around the company, handle a XAR rifle or two.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Talked to the dealer today and ordered one in 7mm-08. $1500 and 6-8 month lead time. Dealer said they plan on expanding the chamberings down the road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of us will be curious as to how it all works out for you. If the do it right they might end up selling a bunch of them, if they do a 6.5 PRC in the future I'll be very interested.......

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gerry35
A lot of us will be curious as to how it all works out for you. If the do it right they might end up selling a bunch of them, if they do a 6.5 PRC in the future I'll be very interested.......

X2

I look forward to both of your thoughts and comments, broomd and ammo. And especially a range report from ammo!

Last edited by Wrongside; 03/02/19.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I spoke to someone at MRC yesterday and was informed that they are opting to no longer offer this rifle for some reason. They are honoring all orders that where placed prior to that decision, however. I'm glad I got my order in when I did.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Appreciate the update. That confirms the observation that they removed the XAR from their website some time over the past couple months. Still look forward to your thoughts and comments after you receive yours !

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
It's pretty disappointing to see them discontinue this before they even shipped the first rifle. He did say they have some new stuff coming out for 2020 but wouldn't/couldn't elaborate.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I just picked up my MRC XAR and I have to say I am extremely disappointed in it. I'll start with the good. The fit and finish seem to be pretty good and the bolt cycles pretty smoothly. Now for the problem. This gun that was advertised as 5 lbs 10 oz comes in at 6 lbs 11 oz on my scale. This thing looks identical to my X3 other than the barrel being fluted and stock color. If I had known the weight before I left the dealer I'd have told him to keep it. I have called and left a message at MRC and can't wait to hear what they have to say about this. it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sorry to hear that they missed the advertised weight by more than a pound. Bummer.

One question, if you take the rifle apart, would be curious regarding the weight of the barreled action and separately, the stock. Before MRC took down the XAR web page, they had a particular wording for the "special lightweight carbon fiber" stock. I would be curious to know what the stock actually weighs? The X2 stocks that I had were 32 oz for the Short Action, and 31 oz for the Long Action.

Curious if MRC actually shaved any weight off of the XAR stock? Or, just marketing?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'll get a weight on it at some point. IIRC my X3 .300 came in at about a half ounce less than this before I scoped it. It's complete garbage that this thing weighs more than a gun that it was supposed to weigh a pound less than. Especially when they charged significantly more than the X3 for it and I had to settle for a different caliber than I would have gotten had I bought the X3.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sounds like they sent you a X3. Something is wrong, I would send it back.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ejo
Sounds like they sent you a X3. Something is wrong, I would send it back.

I agree. However, the box and gun itself are marked as the XAR. We'll see what they have to say whenever they call back.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hope they do right by you!! I had that happen recently-- bought one of the Remington 700 Police 300wm with 24", threaded, 5R barrel- advertised at 8lbs... well upon arrival it weighed 9lbs, 2oz bare naked!

Shoots great but the 'extra' heft is more than the scope I put on top of it... Not a huge deal for a stand/sendero gun... but I would be UNHAPPY in your shoes if my mountain gun came in at nearly 7lbs bare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WTH? Wow, sorry to read this. I too, had hoped that you were in for a special rifle.

Should have known, It seems like these rifle companies don't think anything of false advertising re. weights of their guns.
Melvin's nula guns and the Forbes offerings are the only LH ones that I've ever seen live up to the 'true lightweight' hype.

Damn shame that Weatherby won't market a LH super lightweight in non-magnum like their righties.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I spoke to MRC today and it sounds like they're willing to work on a solution. The problem is that I don't know if their really is a solution that will be acceptable as anything short of what I thought I was ordering really isn't something I need or want. From what I was told they were having issues with the #1 co tour barrel that the gun was supposed to come with so they decided to just start making them with a heavier contour. I speculate this is why they stopped offering the rifle as it is now just an X3 with flutes for $300 more.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Only solution I'd want from them at this point would be a full refund-- gun, shipping, ffl transfer, all of it--

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.... From what I was told they were having issues with the #1 co tour barrel that the gun was supposed to come with so they decided to just start making them with a heavier contour. I speculate this is why they stopped offering the rifle as it is now just an X3 with flutes for $300 more.

Unbelievable that a company would fail to contact a buyer about that change in design.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I spoke to MRC today and it sounds like they're willing to work on a solution. The problem is that I don't know if their really is a solution that will be acceptable as anything short of what I thought I was ordering really isn't something I need or want. From what I was told they were having issues with the #1 co tour barrel that the gun was supposed to come with so they decided to just start making them with a heavier contour. I speculate this is why they stopped offering the rifle as it is now just an X3 with flutes for $300 more.

The picture that MRC showed in the (no-longer available) XAR web page was a Winchester Featherweight pattern barrel contour. The two MRC XAR's listed on Gun Broker both have Feather Weight contour barrels as well.

Both Douglas and Lilja have no issue turning Featherweight barrels up to .30 caliber. If the folks at MRC are genuinely interested in "making it right", they should be willing to source a true feather weight contour barrel (as shown on their website) from a reputable barrel maker and fit it to their action.

Hate to hear the head ache you are going thru with this rifle. Hope you are able to work out a mutually agreeable deal with MRC...

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
When I spoke to MRC last Thursday I was told I'd hear back from them the same day. At this point I still haven't heard from them. It's not really instilling much confidence that we're going to come to a resolution on this. I left a message today to try to help keep things moving though.

Orion,

I saw the Gunbroker listings. It's funny that they are available with what looks to be the correct contour and they can't just make this situation right. If they can't get ne one of those all I really want is my money back. I'll just put the money towards something else.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Still no response from MRC. It's highly unlikely that I'll ever buy another one of their guns at this point. It's time to work through my dealer and see if they can push things along. They do a ton of volume and should hopefully have some leverage.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was hoping they had turned things around.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why go through all the hassel with them. Just go buy a Christensen LH like I did and be very happy with it.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I have a couple Chirstensens. They are not even close to mountain rifles however.

Last edited by ammoman16; 11/06/19.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ve followed this thread, meanwhile getting a left hand Forbes, and a couple of Rugers and Tikkas. To me, the best way to a true mountain left hand rifle, without going full custom and spending at least $2k probably $3k, is just getting a decent factory left hand rifle and dropping it into your preferred stock. Yep, it’s that simple wink

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
I’ve followed this thread, meanwhile getting a left hand Forbes, and a couple of Rugers and Tikkas. To me, the best way to a true mountain left hand rifle, without going full custom and spending at least $2k probably $3k, is just getting a decent factory left hand rifle and dropping it into your preferred stock. Yep, it’s that simple wink

I would be willing to pay $2K for a Left Hand Kimber Ascent. Yeah, I know one of the guys at Kimber said "No way in He!!" they would ever build another Left Hand rifle. But, one can hope.

Short of that, a LH Forbes rifle in a Kimber Ascent stock would be a workable Frankenrifle for me. Not crazy about the Forbes stock ergos.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I would be willing to pay $2K for a Left Hand Kimber Ascent. ...

I would too. The fit and finish of the Kimber is excellent, and if any LH ascent was as accurate as my wife's 4lb 13oz (naked) Montana, I'd be quite happy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd be happy with ANY Kimber in left hand!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm with you guys. If I could get a Kimber Ascent or Montana LH I'd order 3 or 4 immediately.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
. . . a LH Forbes rifle in a Kimber Ascent stock would be a workable Frankenrifle for me. Not crazy about the Forbes stock ergos.

I am just the opposite, I love the ergos of my Forbes but I have issues with it's action. I just don't like the style of the magazine and feed system. For me, I am liking my T3x put in a Mesa Precision Altitude stock. It is a bit heavier, 6.2 lbs naked, but rebored to 338 WM so I wouldn't want it any lighter or with any less of a stock.

With that said, if someone is looking for a left handed Forbes in 30-06 with threaded muzzle, I would be willing to sell.

Last edited by akmtnrunner; 11/07/19.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
. . . a LH Forbes rifle in a Kimber Ascent stock would be a workable Frankenrifle for me. Not crazy about the Forbes stock ergos.

I am just the opposite, I love the ergos of my Forbes but I have issues with it's action. I just don't like the style of the magazine and feed system. For me, I am liking my T3x put in a Mesa Precision Altitude stock. It is a bit heavier, 6.2 lbs naked, but rebored to 338 WM so I wouldn't want it any lighter or with any less of a stock.

With that said, if someone is looking for a left handed Forbes in 30-06 with threaded muzzle, I would be willing to sell.

Got a spare Kimber stock to go with it ???? ... wink

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Got a spare Kimber stock to go with it ???? ... wink

Anything for the right price wink

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
HA ! No doubt...

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
It looks like I'm just going to get my money back and go another route. I'm leaning towards a Cooper Backcountry at this point.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That's the way I'm leaning. I just started looking at Cooper and really like what I see and hear. The Backcountry and Timberline have caught my eye.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like a group buy for a Cooper Back Country!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'd be in for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be in for sure.

Might want to check on that Cooper advertised weight...curious if that 5.75# is legit.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'd be in for sure.

Might want to check on that Cooper advertised weight...curious if that 5.75# is legit.

I've handled them quite a bit and they definitely feel like they're in that range.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
An update to the story. Back in the beginning of November MRC agreed to return the gun and refund my money. They said they just need led to work with the dealer to figure out the logistics of it. After about a dozen calls since then, they are now only willing to give me credit towards something else. My dealer has agreed to take the credit and issue me a full refund, but needless to say I will never buy another fun from them. Keep in mind this was after they fired the guy who failed to call everyone with an XAR on order to see if they still wanted it after changing the specs as he was directed. I honestly hope that company goes out of business as an example of how not to treat your customers.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
An update to the story. Back in the beginning of November MRC agreed to return the gun and refund my money. They said they just need led to work with the dealer to figure out the logistics of it. After about a dozen calls since then, they are now only willing to give me credit towards something else. My dealer has agreed to take the credit and issue me a full refund, but needless to say I will never buy another fun from them. Keep in mind this was after they fired the guy who failed to call everyone with an XAR on order to see if they still wanted it after changing the specs as he was directed. I honestly hope that company goes out of business as an example of how not to treat your customers.

Unbelievable...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tells you a lot about MRC. Cooper or custom via Shooter71 would both work I suppose.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the update. I purchased 3 or 4 MRC rifles in the past. I'll never buy another.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
So, they tie up a customer's time and money for a year then even back out on a resolution to a problem. A merchandise credit would have to be at least double to make it even somewhat reasonable.
What a failure in so many ways.
Tells you all the customer service improvement promises were just lies. Maybe the company name is just jinxed.

Either way, they will lose plenty of potential business from this and past screw ups.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
MRC has always had issues no one believes it till it happens to them! Rather buy a Ruger if its not right Ruger will correct the issue.

kk alaska

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I blasted them on facebook this afternoon and laid out the whole story in a review. It wasn't maybe 30 minutes to an hour until they responded and asked me to contact them via email to work out a resolution. I basically told them I'm not wasting my time since my dealer agreed to fix the situation.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would have told them I'd take down the bad review if the gun was free. Other than that, it stays.
It would sell just fine on Gunbroker.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by KenMi
I would have told them I'd take down the bad review if the gun was free. Other than that, it stays.
It would sell just fine on Gunbroker.

That's about the only way of want anything else from them at this point.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty piss poor showing by MRC CS. Yet again...

I love that style of action, and the LH options they offer, but they'll never see a dime from me. I'm not a gambling man. wink

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I think it's fair to say there has been no change in customer service with the change in ownership. BTW, I posted the whole story in the hunting firearms section just to make sure us lefties aren't the only ones in the know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I commented on your thread at Facebook. Disgusting what you had to endure.

The "Robert' idiot there has to be a plant. No one could be that stupid.

Unbelievable...

Mind boggling.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Post a link to respond please? Tried to go on Facebook to find the post but MRC seems to hide negative posts.

kk alaska

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Try this.

https://www.facebook.com/658360588/posts/10157400749290589/?sfnsn=mo
I commented on your thread at Facebook. Disgusting what you had to endure.

The "Robert' idiot there has to be a plant. No one could be that stupid.

Unbelievable...

Mind boggling.

You'd sure like to think there's no way somebody can be that dumb.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I now can't post on FB for 24 hours because he keeps reporting all my posts. He's literally reporting me for using the words idiot, moron and snowflake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah he's a real piece of work, It wasn't easy to not call him an a$$hole.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I didn't even say anything bad. I've never heard of anyone being reported for calling someone an idiot. He was on there bragging about how he got me put on Facebook jail. I didn't know it, but apparently when it's your review being responded to you have the ability to delete comments. Every single one of his is now gone. I'm sure he'll have a temper tantrum over that too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I gave up with him, waste of time. He says we're both whiners now. laugh Hopefully folks will get the point though with MRC and what happened. Surely there were others that got duped with the ascent rifle scam --RH and LH.....

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Last I knew, there was a very gently used, Cooper .308 Win at Big Buck Sport Shop (Wexford, PA).
I don't know which model. Very nice wood on it.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Davelefty
Last I knew, there was a very gently used, Cooper .308 Win at Big Buck Sport Shop (Wexford, PA).
I don't know which model. Very nice wood on it.

I'm probably going to get a Cooper to replace this, but it'll be the Backcountry. I've handled them a bit but haven't shot one. Does anybody have any feedback on them. How about other suggestions for a LH mountain rifle. If it isn't under 6 lbs I have no interest. I've got a safe full of 6 1/2 lb and up rifles.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I've got a ULA 7-08 you might talk me out of.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Utah PM sent.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I also have a Forbes 30-06 LH for sale that's been recently looked over and blessed by the man himself, if anyone is interested. I'll let it go for $900 plus shipping from AK.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Dude...

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I also have a Forbes 30-06 LH for sale that's been recently looked over and blessed by the man himself, if anyone is interested. I'll let it go for $900 plus shipping from AK.

That's a great price. I've got one in .270 plus I'm picking up a ULA in 7mm/08 on Friday or id jump on that in a heartbeat.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I guess you talked Utah out of his rifle???? Sweet!

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
That is the plan.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
AKmtnhunter PM sent

kk alaska

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I broke down and ordered a Cooper Backcountry in .280 AI last week. Between that, the ULA in 7mm-08 I bought off of utah708, and the Forbes I have in .270 I figure I'm pretty set for lightweight rifles for the time being.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Please share your thoughts comparing the Nula and the Backcountry once you test both. I’d be very interested in seeing a side by side review.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Has anyone looked at the Christiansen Arms Ridgeline?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I've got a couple of the Mesas amd have handled the Ridgelines a fair amount. I have no doubt they're a good gun, but the weight is somewhere between a mountain rifle and a sporter.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ejo
Please share your thoughts comparing the Nula and the Backcountry once you test both. I’d be very interested in seeing a side by side review.

Will do. It'll be a few months until the Cooper is done.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Has anyone looked at the Christiansen Arms Ridgeline?

Just got the "in stock" notification from Euro Optics for the Left Hand Green / Black / Bronze, 24" 6.5CM Ridgeline this afternoon...

Handled a RH version at the local toy store a couple months ago. $2K all up is more than I can stand at the moment. However, would still be less cost than trying to build same out of parts and pieces...

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
The one I handled came in at about 6.3 lbs naked.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ammoman16,

Did you ever get your Cooper? If so, how do you like it?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought the 06 LH Forbes and sent it off to Melvin at NULA for a 280 AI barrel SS he rebeds and repaints the stock, goes thru the action, called last week and just waiting on the stock work. Anxious to get it back, bears are out!

kk alaska

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ejo
Ammoman16,

Did you ever get your Cooper? If so, how do you like it?

I'm still waiting on it. It'll be another couple months or so provided it doesn't get pushed back with all that is going on.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.