24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was my take away also. I'll just wait for the technology to improve or my eyes to get worse before wading into that (for handguns).

Last edited by Cheyenne; 01/09/19.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone think we're close to the point where manufacturers will set up their slides to just bolt theses things straight on?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We have the Sig 320 RX, Glock MOS and S&W CORE that are cut from the factory. I fully believe red dots are the future.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by deflave
Formidilio and Blue,

Thanks for the responses.

My personal take on them is the technology just isn't there yet. 20K guys fiddle fugking with brightness settings twice a day on a duty optic just isn't my idea of practical.

You both stating that you'd not run them without co-witnessing irons concerns me as well. Seems they're just not ready.

On the adjusting brighness- do you not adjust the red dot on your carbine?

I wouldn’t run any red dot on any weapon without BUIS. Aimpoints on my carbines have BUIS.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 01/09/19.
A
A
Form,

Have you got to use the new Aimpoint Acro P-1 yet? I'd like to get into the MRDS game and was curious if it was worth waiting/saving for over the RMR

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Form - what has been your experience with dot sights in extreme cold, regarding condensation. Has there been a problem with fogging when going from warm to cold temps, such as exiting a heated car in sub-freezing weather?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jimmyp
yondering with the auto adjustable brightness models if your using a high lumen tactical light and the dot has a gotten dim in the dark, once you switch the light on does the auto adjust bring the dot illumination up fast enough? I would think it would be faster than you could pull a trigger but just wondered on the RMR if light on, shoot instantly was possible.

The adjustment is not quite instantaneous, but takes just a few milliseconds, ie faster than you can react, IME.

I have heard/read guys saying they take something like 10 seconds to adjust; that's flat out wrong and I can only assume they've either got a broken optic or they read and misunderstood the technical specs.

Guys, the BUIS are not just there in case the optic breaks. There's a lot more to the co-witnessed sight system than that.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ARKginger
Form,

Have you got to use the new Aimpoint Acro P-1 yet? I'd like to get into the MRDS game and was curious if it was worth waiting/saving for over the RMR

Yes, but not a ton, and while I may change my mind- it’s bulkier than the RMR so if you’re concealed carrying it, the RMR will probably still win.

Originally Posted by FreeMe
Form - what has been your experience with dot sights in extreme cold, regarding condensation. Has there been a problem with fogging when going from warm to cold temps, such as exiting a heated car in sub-freezing weather?

Yes sir. They have the same issue as any optic in the cold. Almost always still usable, but if it’s been warm near your body or inside and you pull it out in the cold, it’s going to have some external fogging/condensation. As a concealed piece it doesn’t really matter. It not out long enough for it to become an issue. As a duty gun, have to leave it outside or wipe it off when you go outside just like the rifles.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Condensation only occurs when a cold surface is exposed to warm and humid air. Going inside with a cold optic is where the condensation happens.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

I wouldn’t run any red dot on any weapon without BUIS. Aimpoints on my carbines have BUIS.

My carbine rides unloaded in a bracket until needed.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

My carbine rides unloaded in a bracket until needed.

Load man, load!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dznnf7
Condensation only occurs when a cold surface is exposed to warm and humid air. Going inside with a cold optic is where the condensation happens.

Good point. I had that backwards. AC running in car and hot/humid day. Or in/out/in, vice-versa, whatever. wink

Don't think I'm ready to switch to a dot on my carry guns either. You guys at the tip of the spear can have at it. wink

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by dznnf7

Good point. I had that backwards. AC running in car and hot/humid day. Or in/out/in, vice-versa, whatever. wink

Don't think I'm ready to switch to a dot on my carry guns either. You guys at the tip of the spear can have at it. wink

Or breath on a cold day. I've managed to fog/frost sunglasses, rifle scopes, red dots, mobile phones, vehicle inside windows and even the rearview mirror. A person really has to consider which way their breath is headed this time of year.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Our major concern is getting out of an air conditioned car in the summer. Everything fogs up if you're lucky enough to get a good car.

On a recommendation from others I've treated the lenses with Cat Crap, which I'm told is very good for such things. Some guy at work treated a lens with it, then brought the pistol from the fridge to the hot range. They kept treating the lens and testing and after five coats they felt comfortable with duty use.

We also do drills with an occluded lens, putting tape over the front of the optic has negligible effects on realistic accuracy needs at defensive distances. A fogged lens wouldn't be exactly the same, but similar.

*Edit--For clarification, with an occluded lens you can easily get A-Zone hits out to 7 yards without any issues.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 01/10/19.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Blue,

You convinced me to dive back in and abandon the idea all in one thread. LMAO.

Great info regardless. I had not thought of the fog issue either.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To be fair, with the occluded lens, you are also without well defined iron sights - but we should be practicing shooting without sights anyway. Not talking about point shooting, but simply aligning the gun without sights. It should be no surprise that A-zone hits are do-able at 7 yards.

Still not putting that device on my carry guns. wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
With an occluded lens you still have the dot, you’re just not seeing the target through the lens. Just like a red dot sight on a rifle with the front lens cover closed. You’re not shooting without sights, you’re shooting with the dot and part of the target is obscured.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Whenever the lenses on mine have fogged up, I haven't been able to see the dot at all. If the back side of the lens is fogged (the surface that reflects the dot to your eye), it's not the same as just taping up the front of the optic.

Fog has rarely been a problem for my RMRs though except when doing it on purpose.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/12/19.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've rarely had a scope fog up on me and never had a red dot fog on a carbine...

If folks use optics on carbines but are looking for a reason not to use them on a pistol, I guess this is as good of a reason not to as any.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have been following this thread for a week now and just wanted to share my two cents. Because I have great difficulty seeing ANY iron sights, I needed something dramatic to help. I have used red dots on shotguns and illuminated reticles in rifle scopes (VXR and VX6) for years so I knew the technology was out there. I have carried Glocks daily since 1991 so when they came out with the MOS system several years ago I bought a G19 and a Leupold Delta Point Pro 2.5 dot.

After a very short learning curve I am able to consistently make hits with my handgun that I could not have dreamed of as a sharp eyed 21yo deputy or at any other time in my 24yr career. Now 10yrs into a second career that also requires I be armed all the time (concealed, appendix IWB) the DP Pro is the only thing that makes it possible.

Battery life on the Leupold Delta Point Pro with about 12hrs a day on the body carry is approximately 4 months. Since the Pro battery compartment is on top it takes about 20 seconds to make the switch. The "instant on" feature is just that, if the gun vibrates or is touched it turns on long before I am able to pick it up. I leave the dot on HIGH and it is clearly visible in bright conditions and is not overpowering in the dark. Living in Montana it can get a little warm in the summer and a little chilly in the winter. While I have seen the lens fog a few times it was usually when I was blowing dust/lint off the glass and not during normal activity. Still totally usable and cleared within moments.

I have also mounted one on the shorty AR that lives in a bag that I carry daily, it sits next to my desk in the day and my bed at night. Once again the ability to make consistent fast hits at range is simply outstanding. The battery life on the AR unit is about 1 year since it is only on during transit to and from work. It sleeps while I am at my office and when its home.

There are no irons on the AR and my Glock factory sights do not cowitness because at arms length I can't see them anyway. I am quite in tune with my guns and am well aware of their condition and readiness. I have practiced shooting both guns with the sights turned off and can still get hits at gunfight distances if god forbid that were necessary.

There is no doubt in my mind that in 10 years these will be mounted on every LEO gun in the country. The departments will not be able to ignore the dramatic increase in qual scores and eventually hits in shootings by average low skilled officers.

I have had NO issues with mine but if I was going to do it again I would probably buy one of the dedicated slides milled for my exact sight or spend the $135 to have it done to an existing gun. It just mounts the sight a little lower allowing for cowitness of iron sights and a little more stably than with the current adapter plate system.

Additionally I would ONLY consider the Trijicon RMR or the Leupold Delta Point Pro for a personal defense/carry gun. To many issues with operation and function to rely on anything else at this point.

So take the info for what its worth, I carry these guns everyday in real world conditions and they work wonderfully for me. JCS

[Linked Image]

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
632 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.