Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by 5sdad
If I try to use an electric knife for fish cleaning/filleting, I might as well use my chain saw.

That is how it would go with the blades that came on my 2nd mr twister electric. Far too nasty, The blades on my previous (same model) unit still work well though so I use them. Totally different serration patterns in the 2

Something clever here.

GB2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I prefer the Mr twister electric fillet knife. replace the blades on mine every other year. I do the y bones like she did, only I always manage to leave some parts of bone in there.

I have a Mr twister electric too. Works awesome.

I tried a couple different styles of the Rapala electrics when my first Mr twister quit. The Rapalas are junk!

Back to Mr twister for me.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by 5sdad
If I try to use an electric knife for fish cleaning/filleting, I might as well use my chain saw.

That is how it would go with the blades that came on my 2nd mr twister electric. Far too nasty, The blades on my previous (same model) unit still work well though so I use them. Totally different serration patterns in the 2

That stinks to hear!

The Rapala blades are very nasty too. Glad I got the same style on my 2nd Mr twister as I did the first.

Last edited by Rooster7; 01/09/19. Reason: spelling

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
^^^ that's how I do it. Not as well as she does, but that's what I TRY to do.

lol

For Northerns/Pike, this is what I ended up resorting too ! LOL !

But I do, do a better job than him !

grin

Walleye, Perch, Crappie, Smallmouth Bass, I got down pat.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh lord.. yes im familiar with that method. Interesting, but it wasnt for me.

Something clever here.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have the small and "regular" sized Rapalas.
They re the bees knees to filet the silverskin off of venison as one is prepping it.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Very cool!!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is a custom made knife by Dave Kauffman in Clancy, Montana. He made this for me around 18 years ago. It is a Pakkawood handle and hollow ground blade with lots of flex and extremely sharp...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good looking knife , I like the flex it has . It's one thing I look for in fillet knives.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You can buy extra blades for both the Rapala’s and the Mr Twisters at most sporting shops and there does seem to be a good deal of difference amongst them. Some last a lot longer than others—some are junk right outta the plastic wrap.
They all burn out sooner or later with the 12V models overheating more quickly.
I have a Mr Twister with short blades for doing perch and removing Y bones and rib bones from pike and pickerel and i have a Rapala with 9-inch ladies for slaying the sides of big fish.
Speckled trout and Lakers have Y bones too

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
On "How It's Made" last night, they featured White River fillet knives. Beautiful product, and I thought "What a great gift."

This morning I looked them up. A bit rich for me to give away, unless it was somebody very special. But look HERE

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
i also had a look at their catalogue, great looking products

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I’m a retired butcher by trade.
If i owned a $120 6-inch fillet knife it would be mounted in a glass case up on the wall for display purposes only—and you can keep your slimy fingers off the glass. (Smiley face here)

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Karl, I've never work in a "pack", meat processing place. Just north of us they have a Tyson pork plant.

From going to a few garage sales, it looks like Tyson uses Victorinox knives, and they grind them often. When the knives get thin enough they must follow the help home.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think Victorinox and Dexter Russell knives are the most common in commercial fish plants/boats. DR knives are darn good for the money.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Looking up prices on the Victorinox knives, they are not cheap.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
$35 for the 8" knife isn't bad. Granted, a Dexter Russell is about half that, but the Victorinox is likely a better knife, too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Karl, I've never work in a "pack", meat processing place. Just north of us they have a Tyson pork plant.

From going to a few garage sales, it looks like Tyson uses Victorinox knives, and they grind them often. When the knives get thin enough they must follow the help home.

Going on a brief sidetrack here - when I was at Wilson's, if someone had occasion to pass through the "wienie room", they would appropriate a package or two in the pouch of their hooded sweatshirt to be heated in the knife sterilizers.

Last edited by 5sdad; 01/12/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Victornox is the industry standard for sure but Russels are cheaper. If i sharpen every day they are in use, and i do, they wear down quickly. I used to buy them by the dozen from a wholesaler but they ain’t cheap.
Dressing knives on the boats, for whitefish have a round tip—Lieke’s from Portugal.
Best filet knife i ever had was a Swibo 9-iinch—had the perfect amount of flex.
I found a local wholesaler who sells a brand called ‘Rose’ $2.99 for a 6-inch stiff boner which works well for moose boning. I go thru 4 or 5 of them per year.
Knives are not communal property.
You do NOT touch another mans knife—ever. If it needs to be moved—ask him to move it—cuss him out if nessesary—scream at him if you must but DO NOT TOUCH another mans knife. And I don’t want to hear that lame excuse you were just going to wash it.
There is a separate knife rack on the far right side of the boneing table—it contains 4 boneing knives 2 steak knives and a fillet knife and a curved skinner 6-inch. Do Not Touch them—don’t even look at them. I don’t understand why this is so hard for people to understand.
Rant-defiantly not over.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Karl, mind if I look at your knives? laugh laugh

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
5sdad—Ambassader wieners from Nord-east —skin-on in the sterilizer—they were the best!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.