Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
diamondjim,

I read that. The mechanism can be smoothed, and I am hoping to hear from others to see how the triggers are, coming from the factory.

Thanks.

Steve,

I hope this finds you well and that your weather is nothing unexpected and undesirable for this time of year.

I was thinking of commenting on the release of a rifle with a relatively poor quality trigger in today's day and age of manufacturing until I looked at some of the prices of these rifles online. Perhaps a 9lb trigger is acceptable for such a low cost? But with so many inexpensive rifles with decent triggers on the market now, it seems risky for a company to not install a crisp one with reasonable pull.

I was just wondering, never having had to do so myself, how long a "smoothing" job on such a trigger might take and what added cost to the rifle? An hour's labor? Two? An hour would not add much to cost, but tow or more would add substantially to a rifle that is advertised for $359 American.

Now, will they offer them in "interesting" calibers? Will un-chambered barrels be available for loonies to experiment with?

Enjoy the fall up there.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
handled one finally today. Wood was outstanding. It was a bit heavy but balanced very well. Trigger was not the best, but was acceptable for me for a single shot. For the price, it’s a bargain given what pears to be overall quality in a blue and wood gun.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
diamondjim,

I read that. The mechanism can be smoothed, and I am hoping to hear from others to see how the triggers are, coming from the factory.

Thanks.

Steve,

I hope this finds you well and that your weather is nothing unexpected and undesirable for this time of year.

I was thinking of commenting on the release of a rifle with a relatively poor quality trigger in today's day and age of manufacturing until I looked at some of the prices of these rifles online. Perhaps a 9lb trigger is acceptable for such a low cost? But with so many inexpensive rifles with decent triggers on the market now, it seems risky for a company to not install a crisp one with reasonable pull.

I was just wondering, never having had to do so myself, how long a "smoothing" job on such a trigger might take and what added cost to the rifle? An hour's labor? Two? An hour would not add much to cost, but tow or more would add substantially to a rifle that is advertised for $359 American.

Now, will they offer them in "interesting" calibers? Will un-chambered barrels be available for loonies to experiment with?

Enjoy the fall up there.

Geno

Thanks Geno.

Most trigger jobs are charged as a flat rate. Your gunsmith can quote it to you. In Canada, trigger work generally costs about $100 to re-work an existing trigger. I'm not sure what US gunsmiths charge, but the CDN rate translates to approx. $70 US. I haven't seen a Henry trigger, but your gunsmith will start by cleaning and polishing the metal parts - including flats and holes for pins - and possibly replacing springs and the pins themselves.

The work can take awhile because when you change or modify one part, it generally reacts on the whole mechanism, so you are always reassembling and tearing it down again.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Steve, much appreciate the quick informative reply. $70 US would likely work out to an hour's labor or so if that's what a guy in business would charge.

I may have to check and see if they are for sale in Kommunistifornia. They may not have enough safety doodads to please the Apparatchiks in Suctomentograd.

If I see one I will definitely take a gander.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of these in a 35REM would be a cool deer rifle

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cruzerbotz
I have a 223. Was not real happy with it when I first got it. Trigger had to have been at least eight pounds, if not ten or twelve. Couldn't get a decent group with that trigger. I worked on the trigger. Posted what I did on Henry Rifle Forum. Got it down to about 3 1/2 lbs. With Hornady Black 75 gr 223 could get repeat groups of less than 1/2" at 75 yds. That was what the sight-in range is at our rifle club. Made it a keeper. I may do some more work on the trigger to lighten it a hair more. It isn't difficult to work on. I hunt in Western Chester Cty in SC. Got a nice eight point Saturday morning with it. One shot in the neck and dropped right there.

Since Henry has now come out with the 357 in the single shot, I expect I will get one of those.

Took a bit of looking, but I found it. Well done. I was put off a bit by the negative reports on the trigger, but that sounds easy-peasy. With the transfer bar, I'd not worry a bit about dinking with that.

You'd be a pal if you copied that and posted it here for the troops.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Was reading on the GBO forum, I think, where someone took out the two hammer/trigger springs and replace them with one Grainger 31 in-lb spring. Grainger # 54MY45 Said you had to order them in a package of ten. His trigger went down to just over 3 lbs by doing that. And, it was reliable. So, I will be getting a set of those springs and see what it does now.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jericho
One of these in a 35REM would be a cool deer rifle

It would indeed. My first thought though was to rebore a .308 to .358.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This is what I did to lighten the trigger. Hope the photos will show up.

Got the new springs today, so put one in. Checked the pull. down to 2.75 lbs consistently. Only other thing to check will be at the range, maybe tomorrow or Sunday. To make sure the strike isn't too light.

Did a little more on the trigger and took some photos. Hopefully they load in the correct order.

First one shows the pin to knock out to separate the barrel from the receiver. Use a wood dowel or Delrin punch.
Second one shows the screws to be removed. Bottom one on each side.
Third is the Allen screw inside the receiver. It is a 3/32.
Fourth is the trigger assembly. It should come right out if you pull it. There is a spring on the front that should stay in place.

Fifth is the top of the trigger blade. This is the end to smooth. From the factory, this wasn't really smooth. Polished it with 600 grit. Looking with a magnifying glass I saw that it still was a little rough, so hit it with three light strokes of a file. Then polished a little more with the 600 grit.

The last one points to the "ledge" on the hammer. Polish this with the 600 grit. I got it shiny, and didn't change the angle or really take anything off.

With this last bit of work, the trigger is between 3 3/4# and 4#. So, will be happy and leave it there. Rifle season starts for us on Oct 11.

IMG_20180916_082616250_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180916_082616250_HDR.jpg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 227 times

IMG_20180916_082734003.jpg
IMG_20180916_082734003.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 227 times

IMG_20180916_082959944.jpg
IMG_20180916_082959944.jpg (54.41 KiB) Viewed 227 times

IMG_20180916_083037366.jpg
IMG_20180916_083037366.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 227 times

IMG_20180916_083110961.jpg
IMG_20180916_083110961.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 227 times

IMG_20180916_090022332.jpg
IMG_20180916_090022332.jpg (46.3 KiB) Viewed 227 times

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Made it to the range this afternoon. Ignition was fine with the Hornady Black. But, had some Monarch, which I believe is Privi Partizan re-branded. My guess is that it uses harder primers, as I tried two of the cartridges a couple of times. There was a dent in the primer, but not enough to fire the cartridge. I don't want to leave the rifle so that it only fires cartridges with softer primers. So, will see what I can come up with. I put the small inner spring back in and measured the trigger pull. It went back up to where it was. Measured the spring and wire diameter. 1.75" long. 0.24" outer diameter. Appears the wire is 0.045 diameter. Looked on Grainger and found an assortment of different wire diameters in that length and spring diameter. Will check Century, as I don't want to buy a bunch of packages of 10 to see which would work the best.

The inner spring of the two is positioned by the end of the bolt that holds the stock in. Might be able to lighten the pressure by putting washers under the head of the stock bolt so the small spring isn't compressed as much when the hammer is pulled back. Will have to see what size bolt that is. That would be the least expensive route.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Picked mine up yesterday. This one is in 30-30. Leupold M8 4X with medium rings and the hammer extension. Should work out just fine. Gotta get some range time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After six weeks how are you liking this 30-30? What sort of groups are you getting with it?

Was looking at their H009 lever action but have been leaning much more to this single shot for various reasons, not the least of which is on line reviews are showing better overall accuracy across the various calibers than the levers. That plus you're not restricted to round nose bullets - would like to try some 125 spitzers among other things in the old 30-30. I know a fellow can single load a lever but that seems wrong, somehow.

Plus, I have a partial box of 9 rounds of factory 30-30 ammo left over from a previous rifle so I just gotta buy another rifle to use them up... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Valsdad, I've handled a Henry Single Shot at a gunshop in Orange County and also a .410 shotgun. So they are being sold here.

I liked what I saw.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The triggers seem to be getting better. I handled a 308 yesterday, trigger was much lighter than my early issue 223. Felt like about 4 lbs pull with just a little rough spot which may work out. The 223 had worst trigger I've encountered on a new gun.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Picked mine up yesterday. This one is in 30-30. Leupold M8 4X with medium rings and the hammer extension. Should work out just fine. Gotta get some range time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After six weeks how are you liking this 30-30? What sort of groups are you getting with it?

Was looking at their H009 lever action but have been leaning much more to this single shot for various reasons, not the least of which is on line reviews are showing better overall accuracy across the various calibers than the levers. That plus you're not restricted to round nose bullets - would like to try some 125 spitzers among other things in the old 30-30. I know a fellow can single load a lever but that seems wrong, somehow.

Plus, I have a partial box of 9 rounds of factory 30-30 ammo left over from a previous rifle so I just gotta buy another rifle to use them up... wink

Honestly, I have not had time. Between hunting and getting ready for the holiday season it keeps me busy. Hopefully some time after the new year on a nice day

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
E
E
I finally was able to get a Henry break action in 357 magnum. The firearm looks good & handles well, except the trigger is 8 lbs pull as measured on my RCBS Trigger pull scale.

I have followed the directions & great photos you provided to reduce the trigger pull weight, but it is still 8 pounds after four
Times disassemling sanding & filing & reassembling.

I must be doing something wrong. Since you were successful in lowering your trigger pull weight, I would appreciate any advice you could provide.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ekmorr
I finally was able to get a Henry break action in 357 magnum. The firearm looks good & handles well, except the trigger is 8 lbs pull as measured on my RCBS Trigger pull scale.

I have followed the directions & great photos you provided to reduce the trigger pull weight, but it is still 8 pounds after four
Times disassemling sanding & filing & reassembling.

I must be doing something wrong. Since you were successful in lowering your trigger pull weight, I would appreciate any advice you could provide.

Thanks,
Ed

Go over to Graybeard Outdoors. There's a fix with a different spring.

E
E
Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Ed
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm with you

Semper Fi USMC/0331
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cruzerbotz
I have a 223. Was not real happy with it when I first got it. Trigger had to have been at least eight pounds, if not ten or twelve. Couldn't get a decent group with that trigger. I worked on the trigger. Posted what I did on Henry Rifle Forum. Got it down to about 3 1/2 lbs. With Hornady Black 75 gr 223 could get repeat groups of less than 1/2" at 75 yds. That was what the sight-in range is at our rifle club. Made it a keeper. I may do some more work on the trigger to lighten it a hair more. It isn't difficult to work on. I hunt in Western Chester Cty in SC. Got a nice eight point Saturday morning with it. One shot in the neck and dropped right there.

Since Henry has now come out with the 357 in the single shot, I expect I will get one of those.

i live in Chester SC myself!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.