Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
It is now listed in their catalog. I notice it has a variflame ignition system . Thoughts ?

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Very interested to see a review that is not sponsored. I dont have much faith in the Variflame system though. Its fine for guys that like to tinker but the average guy might find it a PITA to deal with. A 209 primer will handle nearly any BH209 load you can shoot. They have been used for many years in the MLII and numerous custom built 45cals making way more pressure than you will make with BH209. There is a good LRMP system out there but the Variflame aint it.

The good:
Nitride over SS
A B14 is more or less a Rem700 so lots of Rem700 upgrades will fit the Paramount.
45cal 1-22 is a great twist and caliber for both sabots and sabotless. Ive got one and its a great all around twist even if you like shooting heavy lead conicals.
CVA might finally have a rifle that can at least compete at Friendship. Because the "Just a Better Gun" slogon has been nothing more than a slogon in competition.
Rated for over 120gr of BH209. 140gr to be more exact
No form 4473 needed like you must have with the RemUML

The bad:
It weighs almost 10lbs without a scope or ramrod. The bungee cord rod comes in a pouch and you need another rod for cleaning. Both do come with the rifle.
MSRP is about the same as a Knight Mountaineer 45 1-20 but thats not really so bad considering what you get.
Variflame systems have performed rather poorly for several people in custom builds. They just dont seal very well compared to the Hankins Rifle type modules. It wont take too many shots to flame cut your breach plug if they leak.

ATM its not offered in a Hunter model like other B14s but you could drop the action in pretty much any B14 or Rem700 stock with minimal work. The HMR stock adds about $300 to the cost of the rifle vs using a Hunter stock.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Very interested to see a review that is not sponsored. I dont have much faith in the Variflame system though. Its fine for guys that like to tinker but the average guy might find it a PITA to deal with. A 209 primer will handle nearly any BH209 load you can shoot. They have been used for many years in the MLII and numerous custom built 45cals making way more pressure than you will make with BH209. There is a good LRMP system out there but the Variflame aint it.

The good:
Nitride over SS
A B14 is more or less a Rem700 so lots of Rem700 upgrades will fit the Paramount.
45cal 1-22 is a great twist and caliber for both sabots and sabotless. Ive got one and its a great all around twist even if you like shooting heavy lead conicals.
CVA might finally have a rifle that can at least compete at Friendship. Because the "Just a Better Gun" slogon has been nothing more than a slogon in competition.
Rated for over 120gr of BH209. 140gr to be more exact
No form 4473 needed like you must have with the RemUML

The bad:
It weighs almost 10lbs without a scope or ramrod. The bungee cord rod comes in a pouch and you need another rod for cleaning. Both do come with the rifle.
MSRP is about the same as a Knight Mountaineer 45 1-20 but thats not really so bad considering what you get.
Variflame systems have performed rather poorly for several people in custom builds. They just dont seal very well compared to the Hankins Rifle type modules. It wont take too many shots to flame cut your breach plug if they leak.

ATM its not offered in a Hunter model like other B14s but you could drop the action in pretty much any B14 or Rem700 stock with minimal work. The HMR stock adds about $300 to the cost of the rifle vs using a Hunter stock.

I wonder if Hankins would be able to modify the plug to use his system. I am not a big fan of the stock either but luckily it has the 700 footprint like you mentioned

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
10lbs nude! No thanks, im to broken down for that kind of weight lol. It is a good looking rifle.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Is it worthwhile just bypassing this and getting a Accura LR?

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Is it worthwhile just bypassing this and getting a Accura LR?

If a 45cal fast twist break action interests you then look at the new Accura 45 LR. Its probably heavier than the 50cal LR but not by a heckuva lot. Maybe a little over 8lbs would be my guess. Personally i would wait and see if the 45 1-22 is offered in the MR or PR before dropping the cash. I dont see any real need for a 30" barrel. The 28" on a PR is plenty and the MR would be much lighter than any of them.

muzzle-loaders.com is taking orders on the 45cal LR right now but its backordered too. Probably just waiting on the official release at the ShotShow.

Last edited by Overkill45; 01/11/19.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[quote=Overkil...
If a 45cal fast twist break action interests you then look at the new Accura 45 LR. ...

Personally i would wait and see if the 45 1-22 is offered in the MR ...before dropping the cash. I dont see any real need for a 30" barrel. The 28" on a PR is plenty and the MR would be much lighter than any of them.
[/quote]

Started the "pocket change in a jar" fund last month when I heard of these. . Accura MR in a fast twist 45 would round out things very nicely.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yeah, a Accura MR in 45cal 1-22 would certainly get my attention. Even an Optima but the last 45s CVA sold were only available in the 2 top models. Not much chance of seeing a Optima 45 unless the others sell very well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If they release that fast twist 45 cL MR like you guys are discussing, count me in on having one on pre order.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just shot mine for the first time today. i shot the recommended load of 140 by volume / 98grains by weight. I gotta say that it will pack shots on top of each other at 100 yards!!

Sighted in 3" high at 100 yards as the book states. This is supposed to be a 200 yard zero. I moved over to 200 yards and every shot fell 3" low of the bull.
I have a feeling they are advertising off a false BC of the ELR. From all the posts im reading its true BC is .330.

Anyone else have any experience with the Paramount??

TY

IC B3

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I think the Paramount is a Sharp Looking Rifle, The nearly 10 pound Bare part is actually intriguing to me since I Shoot Bench/Target pretty much exclusively. Hopefully somebody gets a Positive ignition System Going in it Soon, I am interested in seeing more of this Rifle in the near Future 👍

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Arrowhead sporting goods already has a LRMP upgrade for them. Uses much better modules.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Arrowhead sporting goods already has a LRMP upgrade for them. Uses much better modules.

very interesting indeed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just shot mine for the first time today. i shot the recommended load of 140 by volume / 98grains by weight. I gotta say that it will pack shots on top of each other at 100 yards!!

Sighted in 3" high at 100 yards as the book states. This is supposed to be a 200 yard zero. I moved over to 200 yards and every shot fell 3" low of the bull.
I have a feeling they are advertising off a false BC of the ELR. From all the posts im reading its true BC is .330.

Anyone else have any experience with the Paramount??

TY[/quote]

Anyone have real range time with one? Im looking for range results to see if i am the only one not getting a 200 yard zero out of a 3" high at 100 yards sight in as they advertise.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Look here for more reviews from owners. The ELR BC is badly over rated but so are the rest of the PB line.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/cva-paramount-update.33759/

Looks like they changed it after getting caught in a fib by Toby
.333 BC
https://powerbelt.bpishopping.com/shop/extended-long-range-elr/aerotip-elr-bullets-45-280-gr.html

Last edited by Overkill45; 10/13/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 56 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,290
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.