Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Canazes9
1st, you probably won't want all of your rifles set up to dial. You've spent your entire hunting career without doing this, you don't need to convert everything in one season. You need to work on getting one rifle set up properly and getting some significant trigger time. Worry about the rest later.

2nd, your dislike for reticles other than the traditional duplex has got you prejudiced against a good mil/moa reticle before you even start. Go try and make some wind calls w/ your duplex and see if your opinion changes (it might not, but you don't know yet).

If you are bound and determined to spend some money on a scope, buy a SWFA SS 10x mil/mil for $300. Mount it on a rifle and compare shooting at range w/ your Zeiss. That will give you a MUCH better idea what you really want/need. The optics on the SWFA probably aren't what u want, but it will track/hold zero/RTZ and you can experience a mil reticle witha scope that will track accurately. If you decide you have no use for the SWFA after shooting for a while you should be able to unload it for no more than $100 loss, a cheap education.

David

David,the only reason I suggested the 6x over the 10X is that I figured that if he could see that he could hit stuff without the higher magnification,then the 6X would be a better hunting scope. I do think the 10X would make a better target scope,if only learning longer range shooting.

Just my thoughts for the OP.

I really like my 6x, but I do not believe that he would be disappointed with the 10x. It has better long-range capabilities and has served me well at pretty close range. Either is fantastic, but 10x is not too much for hunting. I have two on rifles, with one sitting in the box and I am trying to decide if I want to change it out and sell the 6. No bad choice there. Then, there is my Athlon MIdas Tac. I dialed it up this afternoon and smucked a late-season doe antelope at 400.

Last edited by sbhooper; 01/10/19.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Leupold VX-5 3-15. I had nearly the same requirement as the OP and after reading, shopping and looking - the Leupold came home with me. I bought the Firedot Duplex ZL-2 model. I can dial or just zero 2" high at 200 yards and be pretty comfortable in the areas and for the game I hunt each fall.

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The suggestions to "slow down" and to start with a "starter" scope are good and makes sense. But, if I buy a well recognized high quality scope and end up not liking it, I can resell it for an acceptable loss in light of gaining some good experience. Obviously, that is just a personal preference issue.

Based on the input from this thread and doing some more research, I am now leaning towards a Zeiss V6 3-18x50 with the ZMOA-2 reticle. And, this would go on a Montana Rilfe Co X3 in 26 Nosler. The V6 exceeds my original budget, but I found a good deal on a new one, which is always attractive.

Since the V6 3-18x50 does look good to me for my application, what other scopes are comparable in performance, features, and price, and warrant me taking a hard look at before committing to the Zeiss?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I actually just picked up a mint used zeiss V6 3-18x50 zmoa-2 for $1200. I decided to go that route being is gives me plenty of low end for my property in hardwoods, but the 18x allows me to really make precise shots at distances. The other thing that surprised me was the low light capability of the Zeiss when compared to my Schmidt Bender 2.5-10x56. I still give the edge to the SB, but here in Louisiana, we have legal shooting times and the Zeiss gets me way past legal times. If only they would offer an illuminated reticle like the SB, then I could have the best of both.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
have tried the zeiss conquest v4 dupont? they can be had in an illum ret. i bought a 3-12x56 #60 illum ret but haven't had the time to get it outside at dusk to see how it compares to my eyes to my meopta meostar scopes.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No I sure haven't. But I did however hear that the V4 and the V6 are made at different facilities. Not sure how true that is.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by jwp475

Not a 4X16, rather a 3X15 the price is under 800 and you won’t find a better scope fir 2000

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes

jwp,

That’s a strong statement, and I suppose we’d need to define “better”. I’m neither anti-Tract, nor a Tract fanboy, so I approach the brand more inquisitively than anything. In my opinion “better” means mechanical function and reliability first and foremost, with optical performance rating somewhere in the Top 5 of important attributes. I think it has been established here on 24HCF that the Toric has superb glass for the price. What remains a question mark in my mind is the mechanical function, robustness, and durability of the scope. Buying one and testing it thoroughly would help, but still would only speak to (1) sample of one model of Toric. I’m not even sure if they ship to Canada grin I know of a couple guys on here that have a sizeable round count, hard use, and a lot of dialing on their Toric, but again, the sample size of those reports remains too small to make any generalized determination about the scope lineup.

How much dialing, carrying time/rough use, and what approximate round count do you have on your scope? What rifle is it mounted on? Thanks for the additional info.

Everything that I’ve experienced with my 3X15X50 Toric has been positive. I bought mine in 2018 mounted it and zeroed it in. Adjustments were precise and accurate and the glass is abosolutely outstanding. I have seen nothing to negative about the scope. No I don’t have an endurance test to prove it but I’d not hesitate to buy another one. It worked perfectly for me this hunting season.

Ive worked a 3-15 Tract Toric pretty hard and bashed it hard too and its performed really well. Have bought another so that's an endorsement. I think that the "Schott glass factor" is overstated though. It would take a good and experience eye to see the difference between good ED and Schott glass in hunting conditions. I will take it because its there, but its got a lot hype around it. Tract are a class act for the money though.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by NZSika
Ive worked a 3-15 Tract Toric pretty hard and bashed it hard too and its performed really well. Have bought another so that's an endorsement. I think that the "Schott glass factor" is overstated though. It would take a good and experience eye to see the difference between good ED and Schott glass in hunting conditions. I will take it because its there, but its got a lot hype around it. Tract are a class act for the money though.

Thanks for the recommendation. The Tract scopes do indeed look good. The Toric UHD 4-20x50, which is the model that correlates to the Zeiss V6 3-18x50, is a FFP reticle, where I am wanting the SFP reticle of the Zeiss.

Thanks, again!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some of you guys are telling him to slow down and practice long range shooting first, how do you want him to do that with his
current scopes when he could buy one worth using at long range.
Might as well recommend something decent for him to use, such as an Swfa, tract toric, Nikon black x1000/fx1000.
I would say try the Nikon black series as a low cost good quality scope to start long range shooting and hunting.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
you are correct there that the v6 is germany and the v4 are japan made. but, the v6 don't have a illuminated hunting ret in my opinion. guess i comes down to what you want to do with the optic.
good luck,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Correct, thats what i read. thanks for sharing that. I know that with the current V6 3-18x50 that I just recently picked up, I can see the cross hairs at my hunting locations at first and last legal light fine. This rifle was not meant to be a "night time" hunter, but rather a combo that could have various range and locations. The 3x allows for those close range shots.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
ok then good deal. i've yet to mount my zeiss conquest v4 3-12x56 with #60 illum ret on my tikka 260 rem but its my fav whitetail rig and thats all i do with it.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (470Evans, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.