Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Just traded my neighbour a cord of firewood for an old Savage model 24 S-E. Its in what I would call pretty rough shape. The gun was originally bought by a local helicopter company as a survival gun for their pilots. Apparently this company bought quite a few of them and mine has certainly been beat around a lot. The fellow I got it from says he never could get the 22 magnum barrel to shoot very well, and the bore does look a little rough. My plan is to use it as a dispatch gun on my trapline so accuracy wont be that big of a deal as shots will be close. The problem is the hammer spring. It works, but is very mushy and weak. Where can I find parts for this gun? Is it hard to take apart and re-assemble?? Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fairly easy to take apart, sounds like someone cut the spring to lighten the trigger pull. After you get the stock off it is pretty easy to see how things go together. Getting the spring back in is harder than getting it out.

Last edited by erich; 01/11/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
parts at ebay and e-gunparts.com
Are you part of any of the alaskan TV shows?

Last edited by savage2400; 01/11/19.
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by savage2400
parts at ebay and e-gunparts.com
Are you part of any of the alaskan TV shows?

H&6%ll NO!!!! I do a bit of outdoor writing when I have time, and have been approached by a few TV production companies but they dont have enough money to get me involved in that garbage. Some good friends made a killing renting their house to the cameramen and producers of the Alaska Bush People though. I live in the Canada's Yukon Territory, right next door to Alaska.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
yukon245;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust all is well in your part of the world.

Here's a bit of a video which shows a 24 disassembled.

With the understanding that its been a couple decades since I've had one apart - I believe that the mainspring is a reasonably common size of coil spring and one could substitute it with anything that's close and experiment with it.

I'd call Western Gun Parts in Edmonton and see what they have in stock if you don't feel like fooling with non-direct replacement parts.

http://www.westerngunparts.com/

They aren't the cheapest place to get parts, but in my experience they know what they've got and what they don't and if they do will ship very, very quickly.

Hopefully that made some sense and was useful information. If you think I can be of any further use please feel free to drop me a PM and I'll do my best to help out.

Good luck on your new project and all the best to you in the new year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Dwayne, we are finally getting a reprieve from some seriously cold weather. We were -45 for a few nights last week but its back to the -20s now so Im going to make a run to my trapline while the weather is decent. I've got 55-miles to go by snow machine so would rather do it before it cools down again. I ran into a fellow today at a pullout on the highway. He is heading south with his dog team to do some races and he said Beaver Creek was -48 this morning so I think were going to get another shot of winter.

Your video was very helpful, as was the link to western gun parts. I had forgotten about them. Will give them a call once I see what I need. I broke the stock on my 99 Savage today so maybe I will get lucky and they will have one of them too. Hope your winter is going well, and all the best to you this year as well.
Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
yukon254;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for the reply and I'm happy to hear its warming up a wee bit for you Dave.

If you still have all or even most of the major parts for your 99 stock, they're usually not too hard to glue back together if you choose to go that route.

It's something I've done lots of times - broken stocks in general, but at least one 99 that I recall.

Not that I'm looking for the work, but I'd be happy to walk you through it if that's something that would interest you.

Good luck on the projects now Dave and all the best to you this year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Dwayne

Thanks for your offer to help, that is very nice of you. I would take you up on it too, but unfortunately there are large pieces missing. Totally my fault, and Im lucky the gun wasn't ruined. One of the stupids things I've ever done. I have this old 300 savage that was my wife's grandfathers. The rifle is in great shape and a real shooter, but the butt stock was loose on one side. I could feel it move when I carried it. So like an idiot I tried bedding it. I used lots of clay and release agent.....but no go. Broke it getting it off. Pieces went everywhere, and it split at the wrist. A real shame.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
One thing you may try b before putting in a a new spring. Check the hammer strut that goes through the mainspring???
Does it have a slight bow in it. It should bow up in the middle. If not,,,with the spring in the receiver, take
a pretty big screwdriver and bend up on the strut, putting an upwards bow in it. See if that cures the
misfires...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.