Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don’t have any experience with the other Sitka jackets. Though I didn’t wear it much this year, when I did wear it, I wore the Kelvin Active as my outer layer when easily hiking in the cold (0-20*) or less effort in cool temps. I typically wore a Patagonia silkweight base and Kuiu Peleton 240 mid layer. If I stop to glass or sit in the cold I add another puffy (Kifaru Lost Park). That worked really, really well for me in CO. But as I mentioned before, that wouldn’t work at all at my house in No. VA. The Arc’teryx, Kelvin Active and Lost Park would be destroyed in one day if I tried to move through the woods here with any of them as an outer layer. Though fine in the tree stand. The previous year I did both elk and mule deer hunts with my Guide jacket and a variety of layers and it rarely worked out as well for me. There are as many opinions as there are people on this forum as to what is right. I can only say what worked for me. Though the many trials I did a year ago were influenced by members here!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deputy30
bwinters
I was wondering what Sitka gear you have decided on for your layering system? I have been looking at Sitka lately and think I would like to try some of their products.

A more specific question I have for anybody is what is the difference between the kelvin active jacket and the kelvin lite hoody? I think the lite hoody is warmer but i dont know how durable it is. I am considering one of those jackets under my Kuiu guide jacket. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sorry missed this - have been busy.

I have about every worthy piece of Sitka Gear now............

For most of my 'active' hunting, I settled on:

Sitka Core mid or heavyweight bottom, First Lite Aerowool top next to skin
Sitka Core heavyweight hoody or Patagonia R1 as top mid layer
Sitka JetStream jacket, Timberline pants
For insulation, Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody

I normally hike in the dark in my Heavyweight Core hoody with both Jetstream and Kelvin Lite in/on my pack (Mystery Ranch Pintler/Metcalf). I hunted this year in Wyoming and it was 0 degrees opening AM. I wore the sitka medium weight and heavyweight bottoms under my Timberline pants. I wore either the lightweight or midweight under the heavyweight alot this past fall when it was colder. I was surprised how warm I was still hunting in WY with just my Jetstream on. I sat for 2-3 hours in late AM and put the Kelvin Lite on. I may have even taken a nap in the sun...........

In November, I bought one of the close-out Sitka Kelvin down hoody. Best piece of gear ever when its cold. I wore it all week in December PA deer hunting with temps in the 20-30. I wore it to the gun range this AM (19 degrees when I left the house). It is really, really warm. They run huge - I normally wear a large in Sitka jackets, I ended up with a medium Kelvin down hoody - and can still wear my Jetstream under it.

On durability, I looked at that with the puffy jackets. Puffy's are very susceptible to holes/rips/punctures - at least in the crap I end up hunting in. I simply either don't wear them as an outer layer or do so when I'm stationary. You wouldn't want to be actively moving around with the Kelvin Lite puffy, its way too warm. I dare you to do so in the Kelvin down hoody...... wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is the Jetstream more or less the same as the Kuiu DCS Guide jacket?

I was just looking at the new Kuiu Axis Hybrid jacket. Not sure how it would fit into a system, but for snowy or wet hunts or times when I want a more robust shell it may have a place .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Going to apologize up front as I have not read the entire thread. Does anyone have any feed back on Mountain Hardwear? I picked up one of there down jackets recently for a very good price. It’s lite and very warm but I’m not sure how durable it’s going to be. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm

I was just looking at the new Kuiu Axis Hybrid jacket. Not sure how it would fit into a system, but for snowy or wet hunts or times when I want a more robust shell it may have a place .

Jetstream ~ Guide Jacket. I've had both, prefer the fit of the Sitka line better.

Looked at the Axis jacket, not sure the difference between it and the Guide jacket?

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
bwinters

Which is your outer layer? The Jetstream or the Kelvin Lite Hoody.

Sitka advertises the Kelvin Lite hoody as an outer layer or underneath an outer shell. I was wondering how you use it.

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deputy30
bwinters

Which is your outer layer? The Jetstream or the Kelvin Lite Hoody.

Sitka advertises the Kelvin Lite hoody as an outer layer or underneath an outer shell. I was wondering how you use it.

Thanks

Jetstream 90% of the time. The Kelvin is a bit too 'scratchy' on the exterior for my liking plus it is much more prone to tearing a hole in the fabric.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prm

Have all three. I would say the Axis and the Jetstream are more comparable. Both shed water better, are warmer, and definitely offer better wind resistance than than DCS IME.

After running the DCS for two seasons not really a fan. I think the Axis is better overall soft shell and addresses what for me are the DCS's shortcomings. Just my opinion. I know guys that swear by their Guide jackets. Between the Jetstream and the Axis I prefer the Axis only because I like the cut of it better with the longer back. Again, personal preference.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At the end of the day insulation is about loft/density. No need to get overly hung up on brands/names.

For extreme cold I prefer a baffled down parka. Otherwise I like layers, topped with a light or mid weight synthetic or down parka/jacket.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Originally Posted by prm

Have all three. I would say the Axis and the Jetstream are more comparable. Both shed water better, are warmer, and definitely offer better wind resistance than than DCS IME.

After running the DCS for two seasons not really a fan. I think the Axis is better overall soft shell and addresses what for me are the DCS's shortcomings. Just my opinion. I know guys that swear by their Guide jackets. Between the Jetstream and the Axis I prefer the Axis only because I like the cut of it better with the longer back. Again, personal preference.

Are the sleeves on the Axis larger in diameter than the DCS? How does the Jetstream compare in sleeve length and diameter? One of the issues I've had with the DCS is the sleeves are too "athletically cut" to wear any kind of puffy underneath.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Jetstream sleeves are definetely wider, specially in the forearm, than those of the Guide Jacket which, in my opinion, are ridiculously tight,

They are a tad shorter, too.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chamois
Jetstream sleeves are definetely wider, specially in the forearm, than those of the Guide Jacket which, in my opinion, are ridiculously tight,

They are a tad shorter, too.

My experience as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you guys doing about orange layers? I’ve really struggled to find what I’m looking for in The right shade of orange for Colorado hunting.
Last year was my first with a Kuiu Guide DCS vest as my go to orange layer during both a muzzleloader elk hunt and a separate bear hunt in September , oh and a cold snowy antelope in early October in Wyoming. I’ve also liked my cheaper Kings orange soft shell vest, but wish it had a DWR coating, I haven’t sat out in a soaking rain with it yet, but I’m thinking the water resistance they claim is just hoping the fabric doesn’t soak. Of course Kuiu has now dropped that vest in orange. And even then it’s a little bit of a matte or slightly darker orange.
I was surprisingly comfortable during a nasty hour plus cold long rain storm in my KUIU vest with Black Diamond Access Hybrid puffy jacket underneath (primaloft Silver partial insulation, DWR coating,’discontinued but similar to the First Light jacket in current lineup which they now make in what looks like a blaze orange. (13 ounces advertised weight)). That storm was of course when two bears came in to our calls but the girl I was hunting with couldn’t make it happen on either.. And in trying to go super light that day I ditched my real rain gear( Sitka cloudburst), so my legs were the only thing getting wet, but was tolerable enough in old light fleece pants.
The Kuiu vest was little more than I wanted at times on my muzzleloader hunt in up to 80 degree heat, which sucked and had me wanting a good quality orange long sleeve shirt. I’ve been eyeballing some options from Mountain Hardware that I hope would do the trick.

I’m glad to see a lot of recommendations for some of the Arcteryx options which are offered in Orange. Was t sure why I never saw hunters using those.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually am wearing a Marmot PreCip jacket in Mars Orange over my puffy or polypro.

I have a polypro front zip in blaze orange, and a under armor hoodie in blaze orange, and between the three, some combo is just right for conditions.

I always have a day pack, I put whatever isn't in use in that.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I usually am wearing a Marmot PreCip jacket in Mars Orange over my puffy or polypro.

I have a polypro front zip in blaze orange, and a under armor hoodie in blaze orange, and between the three, some combo is just right for conditions.

I always have a day pack, I put whatever isn't in use in that.

I've got two PreCips in different shades of orange, but usually only pack them as emergency "parkas" in the warmer months. For Winter, prefer the ECWCS parkas for more durable "mobile tents" over merino or synth base layers, fleece and puffy layers.

Have a couple of Marmot softshells in orange that are great for windy, dry days.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wear the cheapest, softest lightest fl orange vest I can find. I have a couple fleece vests that fit the bill.

I've looked at the Sitka and Kuiu offerings but was real impressed with how soft they were. I do alot of still hunting and want a dead soft fabric.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bwinters - if I read one of your above post correctly, you have both the Kelvin down and Kelvin lite. What are your thoughts on the two? I have the lite and a 90% jacket for over it but last fall I was glassing in MT on a peak with high winds/snow wearing just the lite. Yes, I could've had the 90% but didn't pack it so I was thinking of going with the Kelvin WS to eliminate another layer. Aside from that one time, the lite as worked well for me but more insulation would maybe eliminate a layer while in a treestand when it in the teens.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wear an orange mesh vest that might have cost $5 when I bought it many years ago. It's perfect. I want as little interference with my layering as possible while meeting the orange requirement.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Scott,

I do have a Kelvin Lite and Kelvin down hoody - previous version. I wear the Kelvin Lite when temps are in the 30s. The Kelvin down hoody is in another league with respect to warmth and bulk. I really like the Kelvin down hoody when temps drop below 30. I wore the Kelvin down hoody all Pa deer season while stand hunting. It is very warm. I'll likely use the Kelvin down hoody as my insulation during elk sw as soon when temps drop below 30.

As far as eliminating a layer, I think the Kelvin down hoody is your huckleberry, especially for treestand sitting in temps below 30. Be forewarned, you wont want to walk around much when wearing the down hoody. I shot a deer one morning, got down, dressed the deer and began dragging it. I only went 100 yards and was sweating. It was maybe 20 degrees. The other thing is that the down hoody is fairly bulky. It doesnt compress easy.

I picked mine up as a closeout for $200ish which was a smoking deal. The $389 price tag is a bit hard to swallow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. I was curious on the compressability. I'm primarily a bowhunter so too much bulk can be bad. I may have to find one locally to see in person. Local shop started carrying Sitka but has limited selection so I'll need to travel a little.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.