Print Thread
Hop To
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
The first deer this rifle takes in this configuration occurs at 193 yards. Hit her twice, she barely flinches, 3rd shot takes her (a little high as a shooter is concerned) in the spine right above her front shoulders. The first two were vitals shots. Interesting how differently animals react sometimes when hit. Maybe it was disbelief that she was being accurately hit from that range, when deer in our area are used to shotgun only hunters all up until last year. (Iowa)

What fun. Less recoil, way more accurate, very similar damage as compared to the horrible shotguns we were limited to not long ago here in Iowa. I went with the scout scope route, and have been pretty happy with it I suppose. I'd be a lot happier if my eyes would focus on iron sights like they used to, but this has it's own advantages and disadvantages too. The scout scope allowed me to keep my Iron sights on, without having to raise the scope another 1/2'' to clear the rear sight. Lever actions are hard enough to get a cheek weld without having the scope mounted higher than wanted.

Marlin 94 Scout Scope

[Linked Image]

Last edited by esmith; 12/24/18.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Congrats. That is some shootin. What load are you using?

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted IA. Taken my fair share of game in Jackson County. Did they change the laws ? Last time I was there it was shotguns and ML only.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by 300jimmy
Congrats. That is some shootin. What load are you using?

Thank you, probably pretty good for me anyway. We Iowans aren't used to very many "long shots"" with the firearms allowed. 200 is out there a bit for this gun. Used to be far less with Sabot slugs, and boy I don't miss rifled slugs a bit.

240gr Hornady XTP over W-296. A couple tenths of a grain under max charge. 1760 fps muzzle, out of that gun.

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Owl
I've hunted IA. Taken my fair share of game in Jackson County. Did they change the laws ? Last time I was there it was shotguns and ML only.

Yep, 2 years ago they amended the law to include straight wall pistol caliber rifles, with some certain limits. Much better than shotguns anyway.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sure like the way you set that up. A significant glass but still looks slick and quick.

Last edited by 5thShock; 01/10/19.
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by 5thShock
I sure like the way you set that up. A significant glass but still looks slick and quick.

Thanks, it is a little heavy, but we party hunt and this gun has to be able to take moving targets as well as reach the end of it's ethical range if/when we decide to still hunt at beginning or end of a day. So far I think I'm pretty happy with the chances I took setting it up. I can get a pretty happy cheek weld this way, I personally cannot deal with a high mounted scope on a lever gun and the subsequent "no cheek" cheek weld.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
That's a cool setup. I have two of those same guns and they get a lot of use.

Keep moving forward!
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by kingstrider
That's a cool setup. I have two of those same guns and they get a lot of use.

Thanks. Best work I've ever done to it was to mildly, and properly polish/smooth the action. Taking away no metal to speak of, it is a completely smooth and beautiful gun to cycle now.

It is a JM Marlin, but it was sluggish and had major hang points throughout the lever throw.

I'm very happy with it overall as a hunting or fun gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.