Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
If you are using a wood stove to warm up your tipi when backpack hunting what lightweight and capable saw do you use to cut firewood? Emphasis on lightweight. Every ounce counts when its carried on your back.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've done impressive work with a single folding saw from Gerber.
Lightweight it is.
Impressed me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd go with this Wyoming Saw, it comes with a wood blade and bone blade. Not the lightest at 18 oz. but IMO much better than a lightweight hook saw:

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting/...TTUYhXuSa1O80aenF5XhrkyXWPIaAoTNEALw_wcB

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I find a rock with a sharp edge and swing a dry piece of wood against it hard. Wear your sunglasses when doing so but it has worked for years.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like to find a tree with a double trunk, just stick a long limb in between and push, you can break up a lot of wood in a hurry. Don't really need a saw, especially with smaller stoves, you can't put thick logs in those anyway.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
I like to find a tree with a double trunk, just stick a long limb in between and push, you can break up a lot of wood in a hurry. Don't really need a saw, especially with smaller stoves, you can't put thick logs in those anyway.

done this lots of times

LC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Except for the Sven saw, I have carried these saws.

[Linked Image]

Coghlan Sierra Pocket saw is .75 oz with a 4" blade.

Coghlin Sierra saw is 5.6 oz with a 7" blade

Now I carry a Gerber Sliding saw that has a 6 1/2" blade and is 3.5 oz. Better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was given one of these as a gift. It's really lightweight and at first I though that it was cheap junk. But eventually I tried it and I was amazed at how well it worked and how durable it is. This image is just one example of many similar saws. You can pick one up at just about any sporting goods store.

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd go with this Wyoming Saw, it comes with a wood blade and bone blade. Not the lightest at 18 oz. but IMO much better than a lightweight hook saw:

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting/...TTUYhXuSa1O80aenF5XhrkyXWPIaAoTNEALw_wcB

Same.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calcoyote
Emphasis on lightweight. Every ounce counts when its carried on your back.

I have owned, or used all but one of the saws mentioned here... a couple years ago I started using this locking Opinel No.12 Pruning Saw with 5" blade. Nothing else I've used works as well for the weight.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/opine...6vYHr3wIVlBh9Ch0nGw7EEAQYAiABEgJqi_D_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Degre...mp;psc=1&refRID=AB7W1B0EQM3XFANA50VT

https://hudsonvalleyseed.com/foldin...6vYHr3wIVlBh9Ch0nGw7EEAQYAyABEgJcgPD_BwE

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
+1 on the Opinel. I tried one shortly after Brad had posted about it and unless I need to buck up a lot of 4” plus diameter wood, the little Opinel is all I use.

Ed T

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I use a woodstove pretty much all the time camping and I used all the folding saws. They generally suck. I remember liking the Gerber Gator (not folding) - but also that it got dull pretty quickly. Alaska knives had a saw that did pretty well too. Then I discovered the hardware store saws! So much better at cutting and really about the same weight too. I wrap the paper sleeve they come in with duct tape and make a sheeth and just stick the saw on the outside of my pack. I don't even remember the brand name or anything. Just your standard saw. But they cut wood like five times more quickly and really do not weigh all that much more than a folding saw. Best of all they cost like 15 bucks. I'm serious SO MUCH BETTER! Patrick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used a Sierra saw for years. 6 oz. Replacement blades are readily available but I've never needed one.

[Linked Image]

I used to have one of those Gerber extendable saws but it was more trouble than it was worth. While it cuts on the pull stroke, in a tight kerf, the pushing pressure kept closing it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have to qualify my use of the Wyoming saw as I use for a bone saw to remove elk antlers as well. It is a fantastic wood saw but it is heavier than necessary if only used as a wood saw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a few Silky saws. They are insane sharp and fast. They cut on the pull stroke, and the blades tend to be on the thinner side. I broke a couple blades on the pocketboy 170mm models, so I think they are too flimsy for me. The Gomboy model is thinker and more robust. Of course they have even larger models if you need to cut bigger wood, and like to carry heavier saws.
For reference I also have a Bahco Laplander and it is very durable, but takes more effort for the same cut. It is also a good choice for light work.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...70065&sr=1-10&keywords=silky+saw

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-396-LA...mp;psc=1&refRID=8WJYJRW3S4AQABB6YBSD

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bahco Laplander

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know a lot of backpackers won't take a saw to save weight but it's an important life saving tool. It can be used to erect an emergency shelter, cut larger firewood, rig a stretcher or travois, etc.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Silky 210 Super Accel. 7 oz, 9 inch blade.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Brad.

Have used this saw for years.. I first saw one in Northern Quebec way back in 1980 on a caribou hunt. All the guides used the saw as well as different sizes of Opinel knives.

They cost about $5.00 back then. I bought 2 in Quebec city.

LC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LC, yeah, it's an amazing saw for the weight. Ed_T obviously "gets it" too. It was the culmination of a lot of searching and using a variety of saw starting back in the 1970's... wish I'd found out about it in 1980 like you did!

I have a variety of Opinel knives. The no.6 in stainless is my summer backpack knife (mostly taking apart highcountry trout, and whatever may come)... IIRC it's about 1 oz. I've been threatening to use the no. 10 to take apart an elk. I'm sure it would work great.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.