Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Originally Posted by ryoushi
If you're hunting upland, get an upland dog. A well bred GSP might serve you well, they will retrieve just as well as any lab/chessie/golden if trained right. Plus, good ones are excellent around the house. A GWP or griff should be considered as well.

This makes perfect sense of course, just that I have a soft spot for retrievers.

Well, sounds like you answered your own question, hey? smile Do your research and you'll find a healthy, good performing lab, they're out there. Nothing better than bringing a pup full of promise and adventure home!

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks! She’s something else!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Research "pointing" labs.

Mine just turned 14 on December 20th and in her prime, she was an upland hunting machine. Smartest dog I personally have ever been around and many who have hunted behind her have said the same.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ok for what its worth and from someone that has owned a Chessie. Also French Brittany's and English Pointers.

First and foremost, MAKE SURE YOU FIND A REPUTABLE BREEDER! I can not state that enough. This is important in every breed but in my opinion even more so with Chessie's.

Make sure you have it tested for ALS!!!!!!!!! I had to put down an amazing Chessie that hunted hard all day on land and water. She was only 8-1/2 years old.

Chessie's have a lot of reputations some deserved and some not, Most Not!

Of course a Chessie is not going to run with Pointers and Spaniels. But it will out run you all day long. The problem really is people don't keep their dog's fit and fed right.

If you socialize your puppy properly you will be ten steps ahead with a Chessie. If you don't you better want a protective dog.

Chessie's DO NOT respond well to a heavy hand.

Females are smaller framed and better suited for the Upland Fields. From my experience with mine and a few others I have really spent time with, they also seem to socialize better then Male's.

Unlike everyone else I am not here to talk you into or out of a Chessie. But rather give you first hand facts, not hearsay, myths, and legends.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the replies, leaning more toward another setter at the moment, not in a rush so we'll see.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have hunted pheasants and prairie grouse with some very capable labs. If those birds were my intended quarry and I wanted a retriever, I would go with a lab.

I have tried a a couple of pointing labs over the years, but was disappointed in their performance. Back in those days, though, they were a novelty and there were not many breeders.

These days, I need an old man's dog and my current pupil is a French Brittany. Unfortunately, she has a lot more energy than any setter or retriever that I have ever owned. She is also a lot smarter than me. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Cheapskate for upland....

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mudhen
These days, I need an old man's dog and my current pupil is a French Brittany. Unfortunately, she has a lot more energy than any setter or retriever that I have ever owned. She is also a lot smarter than me. grin

What kennel is your French Brittany from?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by mudhen

What kennel is your French Brittany from?

Keller's French Brittanys, Mayer, Arizona. Matt Keller is the owner/breeder. Mayer is north of Phoenix on the highway that goes over to Prescott.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image][/img]

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image][/img]

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kroo88
[Linked Image][/img]

What kennel is your Chessie out of? Fine looking dog.

Mudhen I see they have some Plum Creek Blood in there Kennel. I had a dog with a lot of Plum Creek Blood in him. I don't think you can go wrong with Plum Creek Blood. They really know their French Brittany's. I have been thinking about getting another or two. But first I need to retire from working overseas.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dustin Retrievers Twin Bridges Mt.

She is 12 wks old in that first pic. Here’s one of her sire.

[Linked Image][/img]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Awesome. They are great dogs. I miss mine very much.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dustin Retrievers Twin Bridges Mt.

She is 12 wks old in that first pic. Here’s one of her sire.

[Linked Image][/img]

That is a fine looking Dog. Impressive!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sage is my third, 2nd female. For me, they are pets first and bird dogs second.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Yep, mine spend way more time as pets than hunters also.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dogslife57

Yep, mine spend way more time as pets than hunters also.

Nothing unusual about that and the way it works for almost all Bird Dog owners. Hunting season for the most part is a 4 month time frame. And most probably only hunt a couple days a week. Many less.

Last edited by battue; 01/17/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Chessies require more commitment from the owner than most breeds. I find they are tough dogs who expect you to be smarter than they are. One of you has to lead and if you don't they will. Mine would retrieve doves if told to but would look at you like you were a pervert! They will also shut down on you but they make it hard to own anything else.
Pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another vote against. I'm on my 3rd. Male from probably the most decorated living breeder alive. What a pain in the asss. If you were a single guy, early/middle aged, who never intends to have a 2nd dog or get involved with anyone else with a dog. And a good bit of experience.....MAYBE.

Dog can easily handle to task. Mine is bred to standards and is a VERY fit 84 pounds. Quite lean. Great gas tank on him. Incredibly Intelligent, yet opts to play Stupid on a whole different level. Quite a challenge in many areas. I'd pass and opt for an easy, biddable dog.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
384 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,046 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.