Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Shooting from 'left to right" is always more challenging for a right-handed shooter. My suggestion is to spend some time at the 27yard line or farther back ( Annie Oakley shooting) on a trap field concentrating on the left to right targets. This willl help you with proper gun speed and either pass through the target lead or a sustained lead, How to transition this to a rifle practice like the moving qualifying moose targets required in
Sweden or maybe Norway hopefully some on the campfire can help you with.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
I wont shoot at running game, hardest shot is 500 yard steel with a Sharps rifle using full buckhorn barrel sights in a gotdamn Oklahoma crosswind.

Agreeing...I just consider a moving target at distance a no shoot for me. A “gunslinger” on another forum was bragging about how he regularly can shoot DRT on Speed goats at 400 yards running. When his post got called BS, asking for his method for accounting for speed of the animal, judgement of yardage, lead amount and his technique for such practices. He piled himself up into a train wreck of lies. Luck should have been his answer. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I wont shoot at running game, hardest shot is 500 yard steel with a Sharps rifle using full buckhorn barrel sights in a gotdamn Oklahoma crosswind.

Agreeing...I just consider a moving target at distance a no shoot for me. A “gunslinger” on another forum was bragging about how he regularly can shoot DRT on Speed goats at 400 yards running. When his post got called BS, asking for his method for accounting for speed of the animal, judgement of yardage, lead amount and his technique for such practices. He piled himself up into a train wreck of lies. Luck should have been his answer. 😎

I would of got away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling kids... anyhow what other forum you refering too?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The toughest for me is animals moving left or right. Have taken quite a few coyotes at full run doing this at ranges out to about 300 and have taken them out to a hair under 500 when moving more directly away. For big game I won't even attempt a left/right moving shot if moving faster than a walk and then only at 200 or under. An animal walking at 3.5mph and 200 yards out will move over a foot in the time it takes a 2900fps (avg speed) bullet to reach it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Damn, what a diptwat that guy was, I learned early on bird hunting with gramps, dad and uncles I don't need to be trying to shoot chit on the move, had it reaffirmed shooting clay birds with Lt Powell, rockchucker and CrimsonTide and a pig hunt a few years ago, I believe precise placement at longer distances is too much of a discipline for me to overcome when it comes to shooting game on the run or trying to slap shoot a shotgun at flying birds/clays.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LongRangeHunting Forum...79S, I thought that may have been you...He posted a picture of himself. He was heavily tanned and wearing a Speedo in the snow. Sounds like a familiar hunt of yours? 🤣😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The toughest for me is animals moving left or right. Have taken quite a few coyotes at full run doing this at ranges out to about 300 and have taken them out to a hair under 500 when moving more directly away. For big game I won't even attempt a left/right moving shot if moving faster than a walk and then only at 200 or under. An animal walking at 3.5mph and 200 yards out will move over a foot in the time it takes a 2900fps (avg speed) bullet to reach it.

It’s a beautiful thing to see a dog get rolled at distance on the run. I did it once, and only once. I hit high over their backs, low under the belly, sometimes in front, but rarely. Them yotes sure can run when shot at. 😎

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The reason I got into “long range hunting”.... is I couldn’t hit running coyotes for schitt. 50 yards... 250 yards.... it didn’t matter, I’d hit about one outta ten. But then I realized they almost always stop if you don’t shoot at them when they’re running. I’d WAY rather have a 400-500 yard shot in a static coyote (or deer), than a 100 yard shot at one that’s running.

I pounded a metric ton of running jackrabbits with an open sighted 10/22 when I was a kid... but somehow that didn’t translate to success with a scoped centerfire. I can’t hit a damn thing that’s moving with a shotgun either.... but that same 10/22 was hell on decoyed geese the couple times I tried it.

That’s one of the great hypocrisies that the anti-longrange crowd is guilty of.... the presumption that all (or most) shots are good shots... as long as they’re inside an arbitrary acceptable rrange. I practice shots on static targets well past my comfortable-on-critters range pretty frequently... and I run into a lot of folks who do the same. But, I’ve never run into anyone who was practicing shots on moving targets.... ever.

No practice... no play... learned that from several coaches when I was young... seems appropriate here too.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
.... I’d WAY rather have a 400-500 yard shot in a static coyote (or deer), than a 100 yard shot at one that’s running.

I pounded a metric ton of running jackrabbits with an open sighted 10/22 when I was a kid...

Me, too.

BTW, as a kid I hit three birds on the wing - two sparrows with my Daisy .177 caliber and a pheasant with my .22 single-shot. So why can't I hit schitt with my 12 ga?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
.... I’d WAY rather have a 400-500 yard shot in a static coyote (or deer), than a 100 yard shot at one that’s running.

I pounded a metric ton of running jackrabbits with an open sighted 10/22 when I was a kid...

Me, too.

BTW, as a kid I hit three birds on the wing - two sparrows with my Daisy .177 caliber and a pheasant with my .22 single-shot. So why can't I hit schitt with my 12 ga?

Who cares you can’t hit schit with a shotgun. You can roll dogs at distances, that is impressive! I will teach you how to be a better shotgunner. You teach me the art of yote shooting on the run...Deal 😉😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Doggy, here’s the thing I have found consistently said by you, only...It’s simple and very truthful...”Don’t show us a picture of your target at 700-800-900 plus yards with multiple hits”...”Show the target with your first shot being a solid hit.”

That’s where it’s at! Most of us that shoot a lot can place hits on target after making adjustments with multiple rounds being fired until the windage is accounted for. In real time, you are usually not gonna get that second shot off at big fur at those yards once your first shot is a miss, albeit a slight miss will make the fur move or change its position giving the hunter an even worse shot angle then he had on the first attempt...Fact.

You’ve flamed new and old members over this causing some to have the red-ass. Putting it into perspective. You weren’t ripping someone for their shooting skills, only directly saying it doesn’t mean schit on big fur unless your first shot finds the mark.

I took a pard before the start of elk season up to my mountain top range which maxes out at 800 yards so he could check zero and put hits on my 12”x14” steel at 750 yards. His 1st, 2nd and 3rd shots were all solid hits with a slight 3-5 mph wind. His rifle was good to go, and so was my pard. 😎

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Beaver10; 01/14/19.

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve found I learn a lot more about my limitations in the field... by missing with that first round, than I do by the hits. I’ll never take a shot a fur, that I haven’t made (and missed once or twice) in real field practice.... but that’s just me. Eastwood said “A man’s got to know his limitations”.... I’m thinking he was right.

I like good groups, but they’re kinda like fake titties... good to look at, and they impress your buddies... but at the end of the day, I appreciate function far more than aesthetics.

Don’t give me credit for the first round hits schitt... guys like Jason and Jordan have been preaching it for years. They’re just far more gentlemanly than I, unfortunately they’re not around as much these days... so a goon like me has to carry that mantle a bit.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
LongRangeHunting Forum...79S, I thought that may have been you...He posted a picture of himself. He was heavily tanned and wearing a Speedo in the snow. Sounds like a familiar hunt of yours? 🤣😎

Oh yeah that was a great hunt.. shot a elk at 1200yds with a 22-250 50gr bullet on the run.. one shot is all it took

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh yeah that was a great hunt.. shot a elk at 1200yds with a 22-250 50gr bullet on the run.. one shot is all it took

Knew it was you...Nice shooting 😉😎

“Molon Labe”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (222Sako, 163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.