Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13432793 01/08/19
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Shot HP for years...ben out of it now for years, but getting the bug to shoot again, thought I might try this. Some matches scheduled this summer in Wi. not to far from me.
Anyone done this type of match? Seems it could be fun. Whatcha shooting, and what are your thoughts? I got a RR AR gathering dust...would it work? Looks like most guys are shooting bolt guns.
Thanks

Last edited by CGPAUL; 01/08/19.
BP-B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I too would be interested.

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Not much,zero, in the way of replys...maybe an exclusive club?
PRM...just in Va visiting by Norfolk....you got any chucks where you live?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I much prefer HP to any bipod shooting.
That & PRS sounds very expensive.
$0.02 and no more! smile

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I shot my first match last year. I plan to do 3 or 4 this year, just for fun.

I ran a Criterion LV contour 700 chambered in 6.5 creed. 24" barrel. No can or brake. I threw it in a Grayboe Terrain stock with DBM. Glass was a 10x swfa. This was basically a chunky hunting rifle and not ideal for the PRS game in terms of weight & recoil. I suppose it weighed 6-8 lbs less than most rigs I shot against(majority bolt guns). It also cost about $5,000 less.

After the second stage I was wondering WTF I got myself into. I was a little nerved up after the barricade kicked my ass but started to settle down and have fun after that. I shoot a lot but the challenges I encountered at this match definitely put me out of my comfort zone. I ended up in 28th place out of 42 shooters. I guess that's probably where I deserved to be. This was an "Open" class match so the majority of the shooters had significantly more match experience than I.

I processed the experience for a couple weeks and decided that I would go back for more. I'd say keep it simple and avoid buying every gadget out there. IMO you'll want a low recoiling rifle(1/2 moa capable) that accepts 10 rd mags, a small rear bag, a game changer bag, a bipod, and a scope that tracks reliably. The 10x SWFA did not handicap me and we shot out to 1200 yards. Most of the match was between 400 & 850 yards. Learn your dope, practice on a barricade, do lots of dry firing and I'm sure you'll do well and have fun. I had my dope figured out but had done nothing in preparation beyond that.

Good luck!

IC B2

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the input...I don`t have a bolt gun with that mag. capacity, but do have an AR. Thought I might use that with 69 or 77 grners. I understand the shooting is more like what you could expect in the hunting field..think the practice would be good.
I`m 76, so just finishing would be a win.
Thanks...BTB where are you shooting the matches?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think there were a couple guys shooting AR 223's at the match I attended. Shoot what you've got. I'd gun a 69 tmk, 70 rdf, or 75 Hornady bthp in an AR platform. You'll definitely be down on horsepower at "long" range, but that shouldn't stop you from giving it a go.

I live in the upper Midwest and the matches I plan on attending are part of the Border War Rifle Series.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
An AR is going to be a pretty big handicap in a lot of ways. Wind, of course, is an issue, but a larger concern is that small, slow bullet makes spotting hits a lot harder on steel. The steel is usually so shot up that the only way the RO can call hits is sound, and if the plate move. Many times, a .223 just wont swing the plate. Not saying it can't be done, and definitely cant say it won't be fun....but it will be tough.

Do some poking around your area, chances are there is a state or regional lever club that shoots "PRS-Style" club matches that will be a lot less formal, and a good way to wet your feet and see if its something you like. If it is....you will be getting a bolt gun pretty soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dakotagun
It also cost about $5,000 less.

LOL! Yeah, that's a barrier to entry.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by liliysdad
An AR is going to be a pretty big handicap in a lot of ways. Wind, of course, is an issue, but a larger concern is that small, slow bullet makes spotting hits a lot harder on steel. The steel is usually so shot up that the only way the RO can call hits is sound, and if the plate move. Many times, a .223 just wont swing the plate. Not saying it can't be done, and definitely cant say it won't be fun....but it will be tough.

This may or may not be an issue. Top competitors are migrating toward 6mm from 6.5 to help reduce recoil since a lot of matches have sensors to detect hits. You don't necessarily have to "spot" them anymore.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone
It also cost about $5,000 less.

LOL! Yeah, that's a barrier to entry.

A few guys were chuckling at me when got to some of the last stages. All in good fun of course. There was no "free recoiling" my setup, that is for sure!

I can honestly say that the other shooters were helpful and genuinely nice folks.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by liliysdad

This may or may not be an issue. Top competitors are migrating toward 6mm from 6.5 to help reduce recoil since a lot of matches have sensors to detect hits. You don't necessarily have to "spot" them anymore.

Very few of the club level matches have target sensor setups, at least around here. 6mm has been a thing for a while, and a 105 or 115 at 3000fps will swing a plate a whole, whole bunch more than a 70gr .224. there are several guys playing with the 22x47 and 22 Creedmoor shooting 90+ bullets at 3000ish, and even they are having some issue with spotting shots.

But yes..if that's all you've got, I'd give it a shot. Its gonna be brutal just because it's not the tool for the job. It will, at least, be a learning experience.

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Yea, there are some matches in Cascade, Wi. this summer. Wouldn`t be too bad a drive..quess they can shoot to 1k, a push for the .223. I was thinking maybe a conversion to the Velkrye would work. New upper and BCG, and I think mags. Quess I could always try a match before spending some bucks.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think you'd have a lot of fun with nothing more than a Ruger Predator in 6 or 6.5 and an SWFA 10x.....

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I got the SWFA..just need the rifle! Will look into it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am not at all saying that the Ruger will be truly competitive as it is....but it would sure be fun on a shoestring budget.

AICS pattern mags, smooth action, etc....

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Did some looking last nite..how about a Grendel? Could get an upper for modest cost, and some mags. Would it do 1k tho? Any experience?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It would be better, for sure, than a .223...but its till pretty pokey. The AR platform is so limiting....but yeah, it would be an improvement.

You can pick up a Ruger Predator in 6mm Creedmoor for $425. I dont think you can get into a Grendel barrel, bolt, magazines, and match grade ammo for that.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I agree. I'd run a Ruger American 6mm creedmoor before an AR platform.

I'd rather spin a Criterion barrel on a 700 action than doing either.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I agree. I'd run a Ruger American 6mm creedmoor before an AR platform.

I'd rather spin a Criterion barrel on a 700 action than doing either.

All day, every day....but I was trying to be as cheap as possible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.