Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Nick Meyer is a good guy and knows his stuff.

Agree on both counts, but never tell him I said so!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
GB2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
[. . .

Finally, the first thing I do to any spinning reel is remove the parts that automatically close the bail. Learn to close the bail by hand and your spinning reel endeavors will go a lot smoother. Some remove the bail altogether, but I don't think that is necessary if you convert to manually closing the bail.

Hope this helps,
Gun Doc

Great advise on manually closing the bail. After you do it a while it becomes automatic.
[/quote]

Yes, it does, and since your are reaching down to crank the reel anyway, it is very little extra motion.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I only get to salt water fish a couple times a year. I still use the old Mitchell Garcia reels from the 60's and 70's. Have several 306's,1 302, and a couple 402's. Love em and parts are fairly easy to find on Ebay and the local fishing shows. Caught a 48 lb. striper last April in the Chesapeake Bay on the 402.

Last edited by Bearschlayerx2; 01/13/19.

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the day, a pro fishing guide Dad knew always cut the bail wires off the reel, and manually closed - so mine got cut when I was barely a teen. I never think about manually closing the bail, it's 'Automatic' smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
If money were truly no object, then I would have to try a Van Staal or a Zeebaas (both of those are spelled correctly, BTW.)

But since I don't want to spend the kind of money that will buy a decent rifle on a reel, my go to salt water inshore spinner for years has been the original Daiwa Black Gold, BG15. They are not elegant, but they are tough. I cannot say I use them as hard as some, but people I know who use equipment seriously, the late Billy Sandifer for one, speak highly of the original Black Golds. I keep thinking Daiwa is going to quit making them, but so far they have not. I guess they have a loyal following.

I have been getting into surf fishing and one of the more knowledgeable and still alive people I know, Nick Meyer of Breakaway Tackle Development, likes the newer Daiwa BG (confusing, I know) reels. They do have a lot of features for the money. I've a BG5000 I like a lot, but haven't used hard enough to recommend. That said, the Alan Hawk BG review mentioned earlier is as complete a reel review as you will ever want to read. I'm a PhD engineer, and I made a copy of it for my records. That said, I still bought a surf sized original Black Gold BG60 to put back in case Daiwa ever quits making the series. (I think I have enough BG15 reels to last me.)

If you want to learn from the folks that use stuff hard, read the surf fishing forums. The old Penn "Greenie" series and the almost identical SS series also have a following, and rightly so.

Finally, the first thing I do to any spinning reel is remove the parts that automatically close the bail. Learn to close the bail by hand and your spinning reel endeavors will go a lot smoother. Some remove the bail altogether, but I don't think that is necessary if you convert to manually closing the bail.

Hope this helps,
Gun Doc
you from corpus?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by stxhunter
[
you from corpus?

Born and raised in San Antonio. Spent a lot of time in Rockport as a kid, when it was truly a small little fishing town and not much else. Have lived in Austin since '73, when I came to school at UT. That was when it was a big small town not over run with idiots. Now looking to get the hell out and move south, but not sure where. Have a condo in Port Aransas, a lot in Holiday Beach, but not wanting to live on the coast (I said this before Harvey, but hurricanes are the reason I always said that.) We do want to get closer to the coast. Met Nick when I built a simple machine to test the breaking strength of fishing hardware like snaps and such. Showed it to him. He liked it, built his own and we became friends. I'm and engineer, so we connect, although he likes to pick on engineers. I just tell him "piss off" in my best British accent, and we both laugh. He is a great guy.

Maybe that was too much information and sorry everyone for the hijack. Stxhunter, PM me if you want.

Gun Doc

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I recently bought a second hand Penn for $25. which is a very good deal. My fishing is limited to salt water only simply because of my proximity to the Gulf of Mexico.

Sherwood

Last edited by Sherwood; 02/26/19.

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A little more on the Diawa Black Gold. Last week I surf fished every day for three or four hours with a 2500 model. There's been a lot said and written about the quality parts and engineering of this reel and it's value compared to reels costing better than twice as much. My use of it wasn't all that demanding. It got dunked a couple of times and no big fish but it worked perfect every day and IMO is as smooth as any spinning reels I've used including reels costing more than twice as much. I've been a Shimano fan for a lot of years, still am but I'd have to say for smoothness of operation and if the quality of parts and engineering is as good as reported, for around $90 the Black Gold might be as good a spinning reel value for heavy saltwater or freshwater use as you'll find.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You cannot beat the old Penn SS series. Built like tanks, and perform. They have been "re-discovered", so some sellers price them accordingly.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ribka
Picked up a diawa battle and really think it is a good reel..

Doubt it.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jdollar
Van Stahl

Van Staal. Its a reel, not a chainsaw.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
for around $90 the Black Gold might be as good a spinning reel value for heavy saltwater or freshwater use as you'll find.

The Daiwa BG is a fantastic reel. Look no further unless you want to.

Very few warts on the battle, but for very little more you get a reel with a much more robust maingear. A home run imo for Daiwa.

I have penn slammers, ss, Z's, in addition to stradics and baitrunners from shimano. So I am not a brand loyal drone. Lots of great reels on the market, but the new BG hits a huge quality for price ratio.

When I use mine I have never said "I should have brought the _______". Not once. Not ever.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My go to surf and tuna plugging reel is the Daiwa Saltiga.

Van Staal is my #2 in the surf or from the boat.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Penn-5500ss-Saltwater-Freshwater-Spinning-Fishing-Reel-Boat-Pier-Bank-4/153377314979?hash=item23b60018a3:g:EU4AAOSwsIFcZIJg

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing can touch Shimano.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Daiwa BG for me.

Last edited by BKinSD; 04/11/19.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Daiwa Fuego. Tons of line capacity for the size, small and light for the size, tons of drag and mag sealed.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The only spinning reel I ever used for saltwater was the Shimano Baitrunner. My brother got it for my Mom. I don't remember the weight line but I want to say 20lb maybe heavier. It was a neat setup.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GoForBroke
The only spinning reel I ever used for saltwater was the Shimano Baitrunner. My brother got it for my Mom. I don't remember the weight line but I want to say 20lb maybe heavier. It was a neat setup.

I have one. That is a perfect setup, depending on which size reel. Excellent for live baiting.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by GoForBroke

I have one. That is a perfect setup, depending on which size reel. Excellent for live baiting.

I'd set it up for her freshwater for stripped bass and big catfish. loves loves it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.