Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I like the 95g partition in the 243/6Rem.

100g Hornady flat base would be second.

270-140 & 150g game king will not let you down

280 Rem-150g Game king and 160g at 2900

7/08-140 Game kings have worked great

7 RM-160g Game king is magic
30/06-150-165's have filled freezers

We went to Ga every year in the early 80's and carried a large chest freezer on a car hauler at my cousin's farm that had a depredation permit.

Jeez, back here the limit on deer has been 12 or more since the late 80's. The family has killed untold hundreds between dad, brothers, and cousins.

Now the game changers are out, sounds like 7Rm, R#26, and 165g Game changers to me!

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwall

I make #3 for sure. My negative attitude was EARNED from 1975 - 1980 in that I tested S bullets in 243, 270, 06, & 7 RM.
Distance made no diff. I used a LOT of diff media and got the SAME results.

ie. I NEVER recovered ONE Sierra bullet that did not explode OR separate. Consequently I never shot ONE S bullet AT game.

I sincerely hope they improve their performance but it won’t make any diff to me because I already have other Brands that are dependable.

Jerry

Pop never shot one into media, only into game. grin

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I guess I'm livin' in a different universe than some on here. I have never had a failure using any cartridge using Sierra bullets, Game King OR Prohunter. In my .270 130s are the best I've ever used. Never had a failure with them. I can honestly say that every shot that had a chance of success with the 130 grain Game King has been a success. I did lose a deer or missed it, not sure once when I was getting ready to call it quits for the day and was getting up from my swivel chair in the blind and looked out the window and a huge 10-12 point buck was about 10 feet out of the blind strolling by. I got up stuck the gun out the window and he humped his back and put it in Super and bolted as I shot. But I'm pretty sure I missed it. No blood or evidence. But that's the only time I ever didn't kill and/or find what shot at with the .270 with 130 Game Kings.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/28/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by unahunt
I used this bullet on two deer and a antelope, this past fall deadly and accurate, broadside shots, complete pass thru, high shoulder shots calibers were 6mm/284 and 243, anybody else use this bullet?

Nice to know about the Sierra Gamechanger...I'm the original Sierra hater ( with the exception of the 63 SMP) so its good to hear they stepped up their game to include both accuracy AND performance on game.

Dang, I thought I was the only one that felt about the same, but my feelings are probably newer than yours. LOL. I doubt I felt that way prior to the mid 90s or so...

NOPE! Unless the Gamechangers are the next big thing I always recommend that you not shoot Sierras at anything you have any respect for....

Agreed.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldman3

I had a bad experience with the 130 gr Pro Hunter bullets back in the early '90's. Not just me and not just one time. In fact, I was planning (never did go) a red stag hunt in S. America and talking to the guide, I asked about bullet selection and stated that I reloaded. He said not to use Pro Hunter, that they too had bad experiences with them. All this happened around the same time.

just my .02

My brother and I have shot quite a few deer with the 130 in our 270s over the years. Never lost one and most were down right there and all pass throughs. Most were running around 2750-2900 fps.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wish my 243 was twisted fast enough for the 90 Gamechanger as the 130’s shoot absolute bug holes out of my 260.

100% Public land DIY!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by unahunt
I used this bullet on two deer and a antelope, this past fall deadly and accurate, broadside shots, complete pass thru, high shoulder shots calibers were 6mm/284 and 243, anybody else use this bullet?

Nice to know about the Sierra Gamechanger...I'm the original Sierra hater ( with the exception of the 63 SMP) so its good to hear they stepped up their game to include both accuracy AND performance on game.

Dang, I thought I was the only one that felt about the same, but my feelings are probably newer than yours. LOL. I doubt I felt that way prior to the mid 90s or so...

NOPE! Unless the Gamechangers are the next big thing I always recommend that you not shoot Sierras at anything you have any respect for....

I've had quite the opposite experience with Sierra. Last year I shot 9 deer with my 708 loaded with 140 Gamekings and NONE went any farther than 3 steps. I've had more failures if that's the correct term with NPT's. The GK's seemed to whack everything I hit.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Never had a failure with Sierras, but all have been ribshots, except one buck hit as he angled away down a slope. Probably shouldn't have taken the shot, but the 150gr (forget which) entered just at the "V" at the back of the sternum. Found a little button of lead and jacket just behind his ear when I cut off his horns. Must have hit him when his front legs where down and the back legs up. 165gr Gamekings have been hammers in the .30/06.

The new ones look good, but I'm awash in SPS blems and overruns, especially 95gr BTs, so who knows when I'll ever get to them.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall

I make #3 for sure. My negative attitude was EARNED from 1975 - 1980 in that I tested S bullets in 243, 270, 06, & 7 RM.
Distance made no diff. I used a LOT of diff media and got the SAME results.

ie. I NEVER recovered ONE Sierra bullet that did not explode OR separate. Consequently I never shot ONE S bullet AT game.

I sincerely hope they improve their performance but it won’t make any diff to me because I already have other Brands that are dependable.

Jerry

I used to shoot deer with the 85 grain BTHP .243" and the 90 grain BTHP .257" Gamekings, but had four failures, two with each bullet, where the bullets came apart on impact and never penetrated through the rib cage, doing no damage to any vital organs. What they did was create a shallow wound the size of a dinner plate that must have been painful, but would probably only have been fatal if the deer died from an infection of the damaged tissue. I recovered the four deer, but immediately switched to Nosler ABs, BTs, and Partitions for shooting game without seeing another bullet failure.

Coincidence?

Maybe, but four failures were three too many for me to continue to trust Sierra bullets for shooting game. I still shoot a variety of Sierras at paper and varmints, but probably never again at game as long as there are more dependable bullets on the market.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
140 gr Sierra GK from a 7-08. Shot was 60 yds...Entrance, 1st pic, and what appears to be an exit, 2nd pic, But it wasn't. The bullet burst through the ribs on the opposite side and lodged just under the skin..Buck was DRT.....

Attached Images
thumbnail (4).jpg (82.28 KB, 103 downloads)
thumbnail (2).jpg (72.94 KB, 105 downloads)
thumbnail (3).jpg (76.55 KB, 101 downloads)
Last edited by Highoctane; 02/15/19.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's not good.

The new website lists those as a sort of dual-purpose bullet, varmints and deer. Maybe they'd work better at longer range after cooling down a bit, but who can count on that except maybe over a baitpile?. Larger, heavier bullets have more weight to give up and still get inside.

I loaded 95gr LRXs for deer in my 6CM last season, but only shot a couple of foxes (NOT fur friendly!) I think the monos or NPs are good insurance for the little guns if you can't pick your shots. I see a lot of good stuff about the 95gr BTs too, but don't recall any reports on angled shots.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.