24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the shot ain't the easiest/highest percentage facet of any/all Hunts...you've dropped alotta fhuqking balls.

Hint.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by gunner500
Have shot a few deer and one elk at longer ranges, over the last couple years I shot two 120ish lb black Russian shoats from the back porch here at the farm, one at 522 yards the other 569 yards, technically I guess shooting from ones wife's pick nick table isn't hunting, but, it was cold and ill take the free groceries, rifle used on the pigs was a heavy 300 win mag firing 208gr a-maxes at 3K with Retumbo.

Now that sounds like a proper pig load...

Bob

LOL, yessir, I've used that setup on all manner of 'pigs' for a LONG time, it always works, the 208 a-max's are about shot up, have 800 of the 210 LRAB's to work with next.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell, I thought this was the "long range" forum? Maybe we should put this thread in the hunting forum instead?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hell, I thought this was the "long range" forum? Maybe we should put this thread in the hunting forum instead?

LOL, it is, some aint going to write how far they can 'really' hit at though. grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

LOL, it is, some aint going to write how far they can 'really' hit at though. grin

No, but I figured I'd be seeing more 600+ yard 1 shot kills here. It doesn't take much to "hit", even at 1000 yards. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
After you've headached the precession/spin drift chit. laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No, but I figured I'd be seeing more 600+ yard 1 shot kills here. It doesn't take much to "hit", even at 1000 yards. wink

BSA, here you go...

Not gonna say this is a limit, but this is my longest shot I’ve taken on big fur. Conditions were perfect with a fouler bore shot already on the barrel before elk season. Then a one shot drt at 842 yards with a Wby 30/378 shoot’n 180g TSX bullet.

The bull, right after impact hunched up, stood there motionless for maybe 15-20 seconds, and collapsed, done.

Posted this a couple times before. Apologies for the redundancy. 😎

[Linked Image]

And the recovered 180g TSX

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE!

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've been working some long hours this week and just got back to this thread. It seems to ha e gotten a little detailed. My original intent in the question was to say for you, personally, with the gear you hint with, if you say everything is perfect, perfect perfect, where do you finally say the ahotbis too far? Currently, my personal ability is not as far as my equipment, however, I expect some guys cannot shoot their gear. Like beyond supersonic distance, or outdoatance the killing power of the round etc. So again, if everything was picture perfect, how far is too far?

Salmonhead
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Unfortunately, I've had the misfortune of having to take a couple of wounded animals at 500 plus yards. Not proud of the situation, as with a little more time I could've snuck within range....but they were injured. So I had to shoot. Lame as [bleep] to shoot from that far.

Don't worry about Smokepole's posts - Bob was correct - the guy is an ankle biter.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by salmonhead
I've been working some long hours this week and just got back to this thread. It seems to ha e gotten a little detailed. My original intent in the question was to say for you, personally, with the gear you hint with, if you say everything is perfect, perfect perfect, where do you finally say the ahotbis too far? Currently, my personal ability is not as far as my equipment, however, I expect some guys cannot shoot their gear. Like beyond supersonic distance, or outdoatance the killing power of the round etc. So again, if everything was picture perfect, how far is too far?

Sometimes reading comprehension is not stellar around here. LMFAO.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Don't worry about Smokepole's posts - Bob was correct - the guy is an ankle biter.

No, I just know bullsh** when I see it. I've never taken a shot at a big game animal over 400 yards, and I may never take one as long as 500.

That doesn't mean others shouldn't. Or that a well-made 500-yard shot by a competent hunter who's put in the work isn't something to be proud of.

Personally, I don't worry about posts from people who come on the long range hunting forum and bitch about long range hunting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I shoot my deer and elk rifles enough in the offseason to stay confident. I usually shoot steel out to 500 yards prior to the hunt. Depending on my rest and wind conditions, I like to limit shots at elk to 400, 450 if everything is near perfect. I like to limit shots on deer to 300 due to smaller target size. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately, I've had the misfortune of having to take a couple of wounded animals at 500 plus yards. Not proud of the situation, as with a little more time I could've snuck within range....but they were injured. So I had to shoot. Lame as [bleep] to shoot from that far.

Bob was incorrect. Smoke’s bites are more in the area of face and neck and definitely leave a mark. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lame as [bleep] to shoot from that far.

That’s simply your opinion....

I think it’s “Lame as schitt” to shoot a bear over a barrel full of donuts.....

I think it’s “Lame as schitt” to have dogs run a cat up a tree, then shoot it....

I think it’s “Lame as schitt” to shoot a half-tame whitetail buck you have 211 trail cam pics of, and you named “G7”, out of a tree stand over your “food plot” (aka bait)....

You hear all of those things.... and that is the only thing that lame. Leave a guy to hunt how he’s going to hunt.

Shall we go on...... or shall we concede that different folks have different ways of doing things? There are pretty specific requirements for a hunt to be “legal”, however, there are very arbitrary feelings about what is ethical... conversations are far more civil when we don’t project our belief system onto others.... particularly on the interweb.

Last edited by Dogshooter; 01/19/19.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone's "far" is different and more often than not,fhuqking hilarious..

Never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I shot a deer at 3 yds one time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have only shot (1) Bear closer than that.................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

My personal limit on this day, was 505 meters.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know what my personal "limit" is...but I am prepared for stuff out to 800 yards. Conditions would have to be really good and I'd need to be rock solid with no chance of getting closer before I would attempt that though.

The furthest I have attempted is 600 yards, on an elk. He was about to get into the trees to bed, it was the last day of the season and I needed to have him out that day, not the next so waiting for him to come out in the evening wasn't an option. One shot and he was down.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
312 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.