Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Curiously enough...505yds on this day.

[Linked Image]

Was simply itching,to blood a new rifle.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since it seems everyone's ethical standard is higher than anyone else's these days, you're staking your reputation among a certain population to post what you really think here any more.

But, since I don't really give a [bleep] what anyone else thinks I guess I'll join the fun.

The longest poke I have taken (so far) was 700 yards on an elk (well, 699 to be exact according to my laser rangefinder). Broadside elk across a canyon, perfectly steady rest and no wind. Crosshairs were not even wavering with my Harris bipod set tight into the ground and locked against my shoulder with the butt stock. You could cover 2 of the shots with a coffee cup and the third was when he stepped forward when I squeezed off and it was about 6" back, same elevation and still in the lungs. He stood there about 30 seconds with his head drooping more and more and finally fell over. My next closest was 515 on a cow elk in a farmers field we had permission to hunt on. Same deal, except two shots and she fell down. Skinned her out and the two bullet holes were practically touching. IIRC, my furthest on a deer was around 420 yards or so.

My basic rule is if I can't hold tight enough on a target spot, I just won't shoot. I've passed on 100 yard shots because I didn't have a place to get a rest and couldn't get steady enough to get a decent killing shot. But my upper limit also depends on how steady I can get and knowing my range. I would think 700 would be about my limit , but with the right rest, target, conditions, and ranging I may go further. But everything would have to be perfect..... sometimes the only shot you get in the country we hunt in is across a canyon or a wide open meadow. Be prepared or go home empty handed. I choose to come prepared....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
In Arizona I killed 3 jackrabbits at 600 even with a .223 55 nbts.
2.5x8 leupold with M1 turret.
3 shots in a row, they were all standing next to each other.
My son witnessed the whole thing in my 15x swaros.
He killed a coues buck at 401 with his .243 at the age of 10....in the heart.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
505yd chicken eggs...beings 505 seems to be a Theme of sorts.

If Only For Converation RINK.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hell, I thought this was the "long range" forum? Maybe we should put this thread in the hunting forum instead?

LOL, it is, some aint going to write how far they can 'really' hit at though. grin

No, but I figured I'd be seeing more 600+ yard 1 shot kills here. It doesn't take much to "hit", even at 1000 yards. wink

BSA, here you go...

Not gonna say this is a limit, but this is my longest shot I’ve taken on big fur. Conditions were perfect with a fouler bore shot already on the barrel before elk season. Then a one shot drt at 842 yards with a Wby 30/378 shoot’n 180g TSX bullet.

The bull, right after impact hunched up, stood there motionless for maybe 15-20 seconds, and collapsed, done.

Posted this a couple times before. Apologies for the redundancy. 😎

[Linked Image]

And the recovered 180g TSX

[Linked Image]

Excellent, now that is what I'm talking about. Thanks for sharing!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Since it seems everyone's ethical standard is higher than anyone else's these days, you're staking your reputation among a certain population to post what you really think here any more.

But, since I don't really give a [bleep] what anyone else thinks I guess I'll join the fun.

The longest poke I have taken (so far) was 700 yards on an elk (well, 699 to be exact according to my laser rangefinder). Broadside elk across a canyon, perfectly steady rest and no wind. Crosshairs were not even wavering with my Harris bipod set tight into the ground and locked against my shoulder with the butt stock. You could cover 2 of the shots with a coffee cup and the third was when he stepped forward when I squeezed off and it was about 6" back, same elevation and still in the lungs. He stood there about 30 seconds with his head drooping more and more and finally fell over. My next closest was 515 on a cow elk in a farmers field we had permission to hunt on. Same deal, except two shots and she fell down. Skinned her out and the two bullet holes were practically touching. IIRC, my furthest on a deer was around 420 yards or so.

My basic rule is if I can't hold tight enough on a target spot, I just won't shoot. I've passed on 100 yard shots because I didn't have a place to get a rest and couldn't get steady enough to get a decent killing shot. But my upper limit also depends on how steady I can get and knowing my range. I would think 700 would be about my limit , but with the right rest, target, conditions, and ranging I may go further. But everything would have to be perfect..... sometimes the only shot you get in the country we hunt in is across a canyon or a wide open meadow. Be prepared or go home empty handed. I choose to come prepared....

Bob

Good post Bob.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300 yds max. More comfortable at 200. But that is just me

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Whelenman
300 yds max. More comfortable at 200. But that is just me

I agree, but I shot a steel deer at 500 with a 50BMG. Conditions make shorten the 300.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Lame as [bleep] to shoot from that far.

That’s simply your opinion....

I think it’s “Lame as schitt” to shoot a bear over a barrel full of donuts.....

I think it’s “Lame as schitt” to have dogs run a cat up a tree, then shoot it....

I think it’s “Lame as schitt” to shoot a half-tame whitetail buck you have 211 trail cam pics of, and you named “G7”, out of a tree stand over your “food plot” (aka bait)....

You hear all of those things.... and that is the only thing that lame. Leave a guy to hunt how he’s going to hunt.

Shall we go on...... or shall we concede that different folks have different ways of doing things? There are pretty specific requirements for a hunt to be “legal”, however, there are very arbitrary feelings about what is ethical... conversations are far more civil when we don’t project our belief system onto others.... particularly on the interweb.

Best post on this thread. Together we stand, divided we fall! If it is legal and you can live with the outcome it's on you.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Legality doesn't define right. Example: Anti-Vaxxers.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone's "far" is different and it never ain't not fhuqking hilarious,to let folks schlep their "abilities" and "equipment" onto others.

Hint.

Laughing!................

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

You are right to a degree.

Anti-vaxxers are making a decision for someone that can't yet make one.

Hunting you are making a decision for yourself. But will ultimately effect another living thing. Same but different.

Bait, dogs, long range, archery, technology, were do you draw a line? Is is ok to hunt birds with a dog? Why???? Is it ok to fish with bait? Why? Is it ok to use a release bowhunting? Why??? At what point do you turn responsibility over to the individual? I have zero desire to run deer with dogs. However where it is legal I have no problem with someone else doing it. Just because something isn't right for you, doesn't mean its not right. That mindset is what Liberals believe. My way or the Highway.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I believe it was Elmer who said every one should scratch his itch as best suits him. I find it enlighting that many people who did not grow up deer hunting with dogs are opposed to it. How many of them will take a "long" shot late in the day? I do not remember ever losing a deer which was hit when running dogs.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Practice.

Practice some more.

Repeat.

1000yds

[Linked Image]

1102 yards

[Linked Image]

Profit.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's funny the resident liar never posts kills with known ranges..... Weird... Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pavementends
I believe it was Elmer who said every one should scratch his itch as best suits him. I find it enlighting that many people who did not grow up deer hunting with dogs are opposed to it. How many of them will take a "long" shot late in the day? I do not remember ever losing a deer which was hit when running dogs.

I grew up with it and can’t phuqqin stand it. White trash dumps dogs all over place then claims “it’s not the dogs fault they’re on your land”. Ain’t my fault his mangy ass has my boot print on it either.

As for the question at hand, I’m not messing with more than a foot of drift. Pretty much makes me a short knocker....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Practice.

Practice some more.

Repeat.

1000yds

[Linked Image]

1102 yards

[Linked Image]

Profit.

Very nice John. I was waiting for you to show up.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just sight in for Maximum Point Blank Range...

11.6" MOA high at 100! grin

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Or, taking a shot that's beyond your ability. Or taking a shot and not making every effort to recover the animal. Or showing up at a spot where you want to sit and watch for deer or elk in the evening, finding that someone's already there, and plunking your ass down anyway.

I look at long range hunting differently though. I know that lots of people think it's "not right." But it goes back to why people hunt and everyone has different reasons. If you read the "why hunt elk" thread lots of guys say they are doing it to stock the freezer and nothing more. I can't find fault with that. And given that, if they can make the shot and recover their animal there's no reason I can see not to.

Some will say that taking long-range shots isn't really hunting because the shooter is using technology to defeat the animal's senses and the animals don't have a chance. My repsonse to that is, we all use tehnology to defeat the animal's senses and if that's the argument you want to hang your hat on you'd better take a long hard look at 200 yard shots because a 200 yard shot with a modern rifle is 100% using technology to defeat the animal's senses.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like it’s more about “the shot”, than what’s being shot.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 54 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.