Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Most of my short-range shots...... still end up in long-range packouts.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

So true - my biggest buck yet was shot at under 100 yards...4 miles in, 1200 feet below the trailhead...Killed around noon, back to the UTV at 2:30 am in the morning... Was a long damn night.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The smaller "Mid Range Shot" deer seem to require some pack work as well

[Linked Image]

The flat desert can surely help in this problem....

Antelope is the farthest game animal I have shot - took 15 minutes to get to the side by side.

[Linked Image]

Neither of these bulls were big enough to cash in my tag that day - but were 200 yards from my side by side.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

So true - my biggest buck yet was shot at under 100 yards...4 miles in, 1200 feet below the trailhead...Killed around noon, back to the UTV at 2:30 am in the morning... Was a long damn night.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ha!

My Wyoming deer this last year was similarly miserable....maybe an 80 yard shot though only a mile or so from a road. Problem was, it was a rocky, steep miserable mile and I had to cross a knee deep creek. Shot at last light, quartered up and in my pack in about an hour and I got back to the pickup around 2 in the morning...

[Linked Image]

Good times.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pair of 90 yard shots...... about 3 miles and 2000 vertical feet from the truck...

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have killed 2 animals at over 600 yards in past years. Now I only practice at 200 and 400 yards before hunting. In 2018 I shot (2) antelope at 200 yards, (1) antelope at 50 yards, and (2) mule deer at 100 yards.

In 2018 my 280 pound hunting partner had a heart attack and I had to hunt alone. With me weighing 155 pounds, me dragging a mule deer is like building the pyramids. In 2018 I was forced to use a deer cart. Where have those been all my life?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Since we're talking about pack-outs, here's my personal best. The shot was only 280 yards but we were somewhere around 15 miles from the take-out point:

[Linked Image]

First part of the trip out was a 3,000 foot climb, this pic was from near the top of the route (not the arête in the center):

[Linked Image]

We finished up the first night at about 2 AM, took us the next 3 days to pack out. Total of around 5K ascent and 8 K descent along the way and it rained the entire time. Or so it seemed that way.

Anyone know how to make the photos full-size?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use the same image address as you did:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/90503.jpg

however replace the word "medium" with "full". When bracketed with [img] and [/img], you'll see:

[Linked Image]

Nice ram BTW!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, and thanks.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
The problem with LR shooting in some of the backcountry areas I hunt here in Idaho (selway bitteroot and frank church wildernesses) is that a 6-700 yard cross canyon shot means a day to get over to the animal and multiple days to pack out...big rough steep roadless wildnerness country...

If you want the critter to come home with you, you'll have to hike over to it whether before the shot or after wink

Jordan"s right.....I am not too sure what you're getting at here Hiaring.

If you're hunting those areas, you're either going to spend a day crossing that canyon to get your more acceptably ranged shot, or you're going to spend a day getting over to your downed critter.

Either way you'll spend multiple days packing it out.

Yeah, shooting an animal and letting the unskinned carcass lie out stewing in its own heat because you're a day away across the canyon is way better than getting close, taking the shot, and immediately getting the carcass cooled down. Plus the whole putting the carcass at the mercy of predators thing is a great way to save a cape and meat. /s

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Predators can get to hanging quarters while packing out the first load regardless of how far the shot was or how long it took you to get to the critter after the shot. So can the heat. BTDT, on both accounts despite my best efforts to keep it cool and hung high enough to avoid bears. The heat is one of many reasons why I quit early season bowhunting. Not making a cross canyon shot if you're nervous about the heat is a smart move, but if it is cool out your point is moot.

This elk was killed well within more accepted ranges. I'll let you decide whether a predator got to it or not before we got it completely deboned.
[Linked Image]

Where does one draw the line? Only when you're close to the vehicle so your pack trips are short? Only when it is cold and snowy out and bears are sleeping? Is hanging meat in camp as lame of you claim long range shots are? I can think of 3 separate times I have had bears steal meat that was hanging in camp while I was gone.

Pluses and minuses, as well as risks to all these options.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Ted, this deserves its own thread, with pics.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Ted, this deserves its own thread, with pics.....

Well, I've posted those elk pictures enough already on this board....if I am not careful folks will think that's the only trip I have ever been on...

That bear encounter was just one facet of many during that 10 day adventure....

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It deserves its own thread..... HINT

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I have got older I take short and long shots on the same side of the mountain, unless you have a guide that will go fetch it for you.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^GREAT picture^^^

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The risk in waiting is simply the risk in not filling a tag. The risks in taking the shot (in the scenario presented - a day to get to the animal) are much more plentiful. Like you mentioned, there are pluses and minuses to all those decisions, and it's really a matter of how worried a person is about hanging a set of antler, horns, or hide on the wall and posting pictures of dead animals on the internet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
It deserves its own thread..... HINT

Probably laugh....I'll get something written up and posted...

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Good it's worthy....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally, I like to see pictures of dead animals on the internet, especially good ones like the ones that roundoak and tinman just posted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Personally, I like to see pictures of dead animals on the internet, especially good ones like the ones that roundoak and tinman just posted.

Interesting coincidence, my thoughts were same about tinman's posts and your beautiful ram.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.