-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Siamese amused I loaded 550g cast in and used the modern rifle loads . Forget the actual data, but I know they made me wander around talking to my shoe laces after about 5 off the bench..
Couldn't cycle them in my 95 so that kept this idiot safe.
I have loaded 405's ,powder coated up to where the went through a elk shoulder to shoulder ,turning bone to bone meal.
Got so enamored with pumping up the 45-70 that it wasn't fun any more.
Dialer it back down to trapdoor levels and guess what. Next elk , shoulder to shoulder with bone shares making the lungs look like the had been through a quisenart blender.
Big and slow feels better.
Trail Boss is a pointers friend.

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/05/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My load for years consisted of a 405 grain Kodiak Custom Super Premium Bonded bullet, Winchester brass, 54 grains of H322 and WLR primers. I used to use 56 grains of H322 from my old Speer manual, but backed off to 54 grains after reading some stuff by Brian Pierce, thank you Mr. Pierce. The bullet sits on that case full of H322 and with a good crimp from the Lee crimp die, it stays put under recoil when in the rifle's tubular magazine

The velocity out of my fire lapped, DBC coated, "customized" Marlin 45-70 and it's 21" octagon barrel with Ballard rifling is well over 1,900 fps mv. It is absolutely no fun to shoot off of the bench, so most of my shooting with that beast is off hand or off of shooting sticks. I still have over 80 of those heavy jacketed 405 grain Kodiak bullets loaded up. I also have some heavy jacketed 350 grain Kodiak bullets that I am going to load up and they will probably be going well over 2,000 fs mv with H322 and new Starline brass.

Karl from Alaska Bullet Works in Juneau shoots a 45-70 with his 405 grain heavy jacketed bullet. He said many Alaskan guides and other Alaskan's that carry a 45-70 for bear protection prefer the heavy jacketed 405 grain version for up close shots on big bears. But, he said the regular jacket thickness worked fine, but he mainly makes the heavy jacket per customer requests. Should I ever opt for hunting with my Marlin for moose I believe the 350 grain version will be a plenty and think it also is plenty for big bears.

I know many use cast and LBT style bullets in their 45-70's or some other type of non expanding deep penetrating bullet and have good results. But, since I won't be hunting out of North America I will stick with an expanding jacketed bullet. I have heard good things about the discontinued 300 grain Nosler bullet and wish it was and option for hunters.

Barnes makes a 350 grain X bullet for Buffalo Bore for the 45-70, but they have some kind of a "agreement" with them and will not offer that bullet as a component for those of us who load our own. If they did I would grab some as I am a Barnes X fan. I personally feel they are doing a disservice to their many loyal customers by refusing to sell that 350 grain X bullet to them, but I realize they are in business to make money.

Like many in Alaska, I hunt with a scoped bolt rifle, but when not hunting, I prefer the slab sided Marlin 45-70 for hiking, ATV rides, camping, fishing salmon streams, berry picking, etc. The big and heavy .45 caliber bullet is a comfort during those activities.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.