Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JamesJr: I shoot way more Colony Varmints (Prairie Dogs, Ground Squirrels and Rock Chucks) with the wonderful Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tips than I do predators.
I am always impressed with their accuracy and lethality on everything from Ground Squirrels to Badgers to Coyotes.
I use these bullets in several of my Varmint Rifles including those in 221 Remington Fireball, 222 Remington, 223 Remington and one of my 22-250 Remingtons.
They are expensive but they perform so well, I pay for them.
My main reason for posting though is to commend you on the cool Rifle (Model 7 Remington) and the great picture of it!
Thanks for sharing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith
I have killed a LOT of coyotes.

the thrill of shooting a fast bullet fades fast as yardage approaches 250-300 and beyond. These light bullets bleed off velocity very, very fast. A hit behind the diaphragm, you will never find the coyote.

For example, At 275 yards, MV of 3850 fps, a p. dog will just fall over.

So, I make mine 55g Nosler ballistic tips, great penetration on coming and going shots, break shoulders and hips, keep on penetrating.

You will loose coyotes with the 40's, but the Nosler is the best of them all.

You might try seating those bullets with the pointed end toward the front. I live in the middle of varmint heaven and shoot thousands of rounds a year. The 40 grain BT or V-Max is the best thing to come along in varmint shooting.

If they didn't work, I wouldn't use them...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

the thrill of shooting a fast bullet fades fast as yardage approaches 250-300 and beyond. These light bullets bleed off velocity very, very fast. A hit behind the diaphragm, you will never find the coyote.

So, I make mine 55g Nosler ballistic tips, great penetration on coming and going shots, break shoulders and hips, keep on penetrating.

You might try seating those bullets with the pointed end toward the front. I live in the middle of varmint heaven and shoot thousands of rounds a year. The 40 grain BT or V-Max is the best thing to come along in varmint shooting.

[Linked Image]

So, you're the reason Nosler is always out of stock on those when I need them? wink I thought I had a good supply until I saw how you have them hoarded.... smile

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

So, you're the reason Nosler is always out of stock on those when I need them? wink I thought I had a good supply until I saw how you have them hoarded.... smile

Bob

Shrap is just Nosler's and Hornady's major shareholder.....

each sends him a monthly dividend check and 10,000 varmint bullets.

hear tell, sometimes tho he runs out, and actually has to order some...

all they have to do for UPS and USPS is address the Box
Shrapnel.... Montana....

they know exactly where to deliver it to....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe it seeing that stack of pills. That's okay, I'll be up in Bend in a few days and I'll drop by and grab a few handfuls from the bins so I have enough for the next couple seasons..... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
shrapnel for many years, I was shooting around 24-26, 000 rounds a years on ground squirrels, jack rabbits, p. dogs, chucks all over N. Ca, Nevada, Idaho, and p. dogs over 4 states. We hunted coyotes in Az, and Mexico in the Winter. A two week hunt in Mexico, could produce as many coyotes as a trapper could catch in S. Texas. Sierra and Nosler had trucks drop ship bullets to my Gun Club by the pallet, minimum order was $6000.

Depending on Muzzle velocity, the lighter bullets bleed off velocity fast, and there is an obvious difference how they knock down coyotes at 250 yards and further. You really start to seeing the difference in how a heavier bullet kills when coyotes are hit behind the diaphram.

It is amazing to have multiples coming in from different directions, all racing to get to the call. These coyotes will rarely stop, you have to shoot them on the run or at the trot, so you hit them all over the body.

If you like light bullets and fast calibers, the 6 Rem AI with the 55g Nosler at 4400 fps is where you want to be. You can hit a coyote behind the stomach and he is grave yard dead when you walk up on him. When you have multiples already on the ground, more coming in, you will stop your swing, lift your head off the gun, etc and hit coyotes in NON PERFECT spots. We hunted competitions, and could not afford to loose any animals.

Standard 243 with a hot load of Varget will shoot tiny groups with 55g Noslers around 4100 fps.

6 BR with 26" barrel pumps the 55g Noslers out at 3900, zero freebore throat.

6 Dasher with 26" barrel shoots the 55g Nosler at 4030-4100 depending on the powder used, zero freebore throat.

40g V max and the Sierra Blitz kings on ground squirrels, are awesome with zero freebore 223's and AI's. I shot a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of Blue dot loads with 40g Noslers every year in Rem 788 and a custom 223 , 3200 fps.

hunting situations I had to prepare for consider, considering the size of the varmint and typical distances:

a. calling coyotes in up close, 10'-150 yards

b. calling coyotes to 350 yards

c. ground squirrels to 250 yards

d. jack rabbits to 500 yards

e. rock chucks to 500 yards

f. p. dogs on the open plains from Montana to S. and N. Dakota, 10 mph wind is a calm day

Guns and loads will vary, but the 40g will cover two of the above in spades, a. & c.

Last edited by keith; 02/07/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was going by your original post of prairie dogs falling over at 250 yards with the 40 grain Vmax. Nothing close to that observed by myself or anyone else on the Prairie Dog Invitational we shot annually. deflave's observation was with a 22-250, but I also used the 222 Mag with the 40 grain Vmax and nothing close to a PD tip over.

Originally Posted by deflave
Interestingly...

Shrap and I shot side by side one day on p-dogs in some pretty good wind. He would shoot, I'd spot. I'd shoot, he'd spot.

At like ranges we were both holding the same out to 400.

He was shooting the light stuff in a standard twist and I was shooting the 75gr. A-Max in a 1-8". Both 22-250's.

I do love the fast twist 22-250 but only because I used the Barnes monolithic stuff for deer hunting and shot to 800 + yards with it regularly at my range.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Just shot a coyote not more than 5 minutes ago from the back porch, went out to grab a couple sticks of firewood, there he was standing on a grass bank watching my calves, 55gr NBT left the 22-250 at 3800 fps braced off the BBQ grill, pop FLOP at 238 yards. smile

It's 17 degrees and windy here now, they're hungry.

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.