Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If we stretch this out for another 10 posts..., could I sell you a free-floated forearm mod??

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use the same brand brass, never have worried about that. I have a large number of Lake City 308’s. Before I load them I need to see how it compares with all the Hornady match I use. It’s probably thicker inside.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I weighed all of them. Quite an eye opener.

Old Winchester was by far the most consistent with 90% falling within 4 grains of each other. Remington marked R-P had two distinct batches one heavy, one light, with brass tapering off on either side for several grains. REM-UMC was terrible, all over the map, over 20 grains variation in weight, seemingly no quality control. Peters nothing special there. Federal two distinct batches, one heavy one light, 10 grains apart. The new Federal is 10-15 grains heavier than anything else, also very consistent, but way heavier. Old Savage marked brass was featherweight, nearly 30 grains lighter than the new Federal brass.

If I was just starting out I'd buy new Federal brass. It weighs almost 170 grains on average vs 155 avg for the others, so work up loads from below very important. .

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/11/19.

LOL
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I use the same brand brass, never have worried about that. I have a large number of Lake City 308’s. Before I load them I need to see how it compares with all the Hornady match I use. It’s probably thicker inside.

The Lake City will be about ten grains heavier if your batches are anything like mine.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
mathman,

YEP. IF the 7.62x51NATO brass is as good quality as the LC M2 brass (that I get FREE from a NICE local Garand match shooter, who doesn't reload) & that I use exclusively for loading ammo for my .30-06 rifles & to reform/load into 9.3x62mm Mauser ammo, too.

So far, I've found NO "commercial brass" that is any better than Lake City M2 "once fired" cases..

yours, tex

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I weighed all of them. Quite an eye opener.

Old Winchester was by far the most consistent with 90% falling within 4 grains of each other. Remington marked R-P had two distinct batches one heavy, one light, with brass tapering off on either side for several grains. REM-UMC was terrible, all over the map, over 20 grains variation in weight, seemingly no quality control. Peters nothing special there. Federal two distinct batches, one heavy one light, 10 grains apart. The new Federal is 10-15 grains heavier than anything else, also very consistent, but way heavier. Old Savage marked brass was featherweight, nearly 30 grains lighter than the new Federal brass.

If I was just starting out I'd buy new Federal brass. It weighs almost 170 grains on average vs 155 avg for the others, so work up loads from below very important. .

Wow.. that's a lot of difference. Makes it clear why reloading manuals always stress to retest your loads when changing ANY component. Even if they have the same internal capacities, a thicker wall will make a difference on pressures when firing.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DarlaG
mathman,

YEP. IF the 7.62x51NATO brass is as good quality as the LC M2 brass (that I get FREE from a NICE local Garand match shooter, who doesn't reload) & that I use exclusively for loading ammo for my .30-06 rifles & to reform/load into 9.3x62mm Mauser ammo, too.

So far, I've found NO "commercial brass" that is any better than Lake City M2 "once fired" cases..

yours, tex

Have you compared it to Lapua?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
mathman,

YES, and while I find Lapua to be FINE, I see it as NO BETTER quality than Lake City & COSTLY besides.

yours, tex

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Impressive. I wish that were the case for the 308 stuff.

I'm not running down LC by the way. It's tough, and a lot of it has been really fine for most of my shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find all the accolades for LC interesting given that back in the day most of the jams we had with our coax M73 machine guns were caused by LC 7.62 ammo. The cases would rupture at the shoulder and when the rest of the case was extracted the shoulder and neck would remain stuck in the chamber causing a malfunction. mad We never had that happen with 7.62 from any other manufacturer.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Skidrow,

INTERESTING. - When I was an AD Mike Papa, we NEVER had a problem with our cases separating in the old M60 MG.
(Fyi, I used to TEACH the M60 & fired numerous THOUSANDS of rounds, when I was a Black Hat at USAMPS.)

I wonder why the M73 coaxial gun has that (potentially DEADLY) problem??

yours, tex

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got no idea why. It was a pretty strange deal because we didn't have that problem with any other 7.62. Even stranger is that when we got M240s that problem went away. Can't explain it but it happened.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Hubert
I always try to keep my hunting loads to shoot under 1 inch. where I hunt most of my shots are under 100 yds. but I like to make head shots if possible and a 1 incher is all that is needed.. my 300 savage can easily do that even with a 10% lower powder charge and there is no tracking involved.. befor you all jump on me for taking head shots and the possibilities of a wounded deer getting away , I shoot enough to have the nessary skills to make a head shot easy.. I use the same gun to kill wood chucks and never miss them. I spent time on the army rifle team. and was an expert rifleman for the 20 years I was in the army... I also survived my time in Vietnam. and other combat missions.

its all about what the shooter CAN do consistently, ABOVE, with that confidence.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Skidrow
I've got no idea why. It was a pretty strange deal because we didn't have that problem with any other 7.62. Even stranger is that when we got M240s that problem went away. Can't explain it but it happened.

Skidrow,

"PASSING STRANGE", imo.

yours, tex

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Skidrow

Very different operating systems I believe. M73 being recoil operated, M240 being gas.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M73 being recoil operated, M240 being gas.

True.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.