Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
So we have a 300 WinMag Mauser 98 action a store bought a gun in the 1960s it is Kodiak which was a company that took Mauser 98 actions and built more popular cartridges in it. Mine has a 24 inch barrel not a heavy barrel but I say a medium barrel. 1-10 twist and was wondering if anyone had load experience with 150 grain Scirrocco ll in the 300 WinMag. I have a swift manual but they do not push it as fast as I think you could I was thinking you could push it faster but maybe I am wrong.I have heard the Scirrocco ll Likes a good bit of jump to the lands I am going to jump it .050 and also have heard it likes It when you push it to max speed. I would not worry about it With other less expensive bullets I would experiment with them quite a bit more but when you are paying $.60 a bullet you are Trying To not just shoot them up I figure someone might have experienced something with this bullet and could give me some tips of what they did with it. And I am probably going to use IMR 4831 or maybe IMR 4350?

Chase

Feel free to ask more questions if you have them thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't shot any 150 S-2 in my 300 mag. I have shot the 180 S-2, they shot very well in my rifle. I used 75 grs H-4831 Fed 215
I know this isn't what you were asking, Just putting it out there.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks I would preferred 180 g myself but we have had one 150s for a while so I wish I could just find a load for it.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I shoot 165 Barnes in my 300 Win mag, 150 Barnes in my 300 Weatherby’s. The 150’s shot great in the 300 Win mag too. I have a couple 30-06’s, the 150’s are perfect for them too. I hunt deer, don’t really need a heavier bullet. I use lots of Ballistic tips, Accubonds, but if I could only have one bullet, it would be a Barnes. I use IMR 4350 in all the above cartridges. It’s an old man’s powder! The young boys on my lease tell me that all the time. Well, I’m an old man.

Last edited by hanco; 01/13/19.
C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for the advice!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I prefer bullets of 165 and heavier for my 308 for use on elk, and bullets of 180 grains and heavier from my 30-06s and 300 mag for use on elk,

BUT------

I have got "caught" when I had a 308 loaded with 150 grain Winchester Power Points (hand loaded) in the gun and I, my wife and some friends have all used them to kill elk and they did quite well. I recovered 2 one of which weighs 129 grains and the other weighs 131 grains,

The Swift Scirocco bullet is going to be at least as good as the Win P.P. bullets I used, and likely better. And you have the higher velocity to boot. So I doubt you'd have any complaints.

Remember that driving a bullet faster doesn't mean it penetrates better. Often it is just the opposite because it expands faster and opes up larger, but that's not something you can know for sure because different angles and impacts on bone flesh and organs at differing ranges all factor in.

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
We hunt whitetail and are not concerned about penetration as much. Thanks for the advice!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The gun may or may not like the S2s, they can be finicky. I've had great luck with various 150s in many 300WMs with H4895, IMR4350, and IMR4007SC, but many other powders will work just fine.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Every M98 Mauser magazine I've ever see had a short 3.26" inside length. Can you get that bullet seated where you want it and still fit the mag? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My .300 WM is an Ed Brown Damara.

Has a 3.6” mag, chambered accordingly for longer COAL.

Ed was smart to do that.

IMO, about perfect.

DF

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
DF no argument from me at all. The 300 WM has a fairly short neck, many LR competitions have proven the 300 WM record for accuracy capability. But if one wants the most powder capacity, that Ed Brown route is the way to go and no problem keeping the slinky ogive outside the neck. Now chop .34" off the space availibile in the mag for seated out long ogive bullets and that isn't going to work well. Speer Mag Tips and Nosler Protected Pts were brought out specifically for this cartridge and 3.34" mags to minimize tip battering and powder space intrusion by the bullet base. In my book short magnums don't belong in M98 mausers. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
S2s can be finicky. I've had great luck with various 150s in many 300WMs with H4895, IMR4350, and IMR4007SC, but many other powders will work just fine.

They're known more for great termial performace, not necessarily for great accuracy.

But, I've found if you treat them like a VLD, work with the jump, sometimes they'll surprise you.

They like to jump. I have on occasion, increased the jump until they shot pretty well.

Give them a chance. Once you have the right combo, you gotta good round.

DF

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
DF no argument from me at all. The 300 WM has a fairly short neck, many LR competitions have proven the 300 WM record for accuracy capability. But if one wants the most powder capacity, that Ed Brown route is the way to go and no problem keeping the slinky ogive outside the neck. Now chop .34" off the space availibile in the mag for seated out long ogive bullets and that isn't going to work well. Speer Mag Tips and Nosler Protected Pts were brought out specifically for this cartridge and 3.34" mags to minimize tip battering and powder space intrusion by the bullet base. In my book short magnums don't belong in M98 mausers. MB

You are right about getting the rounds in the magizine I can on get one of my Scirrocco loads but I have 180 Winchester power points that will fit in the magizine and shoot an 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards which is fine for back ups. I have killed 99 % of my deer with the first shot anyway. I just really wont the first shot to be bad A.. that’s why I chose the Scirroccos

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would test loads with a Speer or Sierra spitzer boat tails to get an idea of what loads shoot well for your rifle. Once you have some load parameters switch to the Siroccos and drop back about 2% in charge weight as the Siroccos generate more pressure than most bullets. Load to the same length as the cheaper bullets and see if that works. If not seat to mag length and then bump them back until you at least get close to the accuracy of the other bullets you were using. I have heard that bonded bullets are less accurate than plain cup and core. Not sure why but possibly the flux or bonding agent is not as uniform as the bare lead against the jacket.

I am playing with 150 BT and starting to get good results with R16 and R26. My previous loads were with R22 and they did well. Lots of powders work in the 300WM. I wouldn't worry too much about velocity as anything at or above 308 levels will be plenty for deer. The Siroccos may not kill as fast as the Power Points as the Sirocco is a tougher bullet.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
put up for sale, to buy bullets more suited for a mag? Seriously?

I don't even like what 150 tsx in a 300 mag do to deer, much less a cup and core one....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ChaseA1

You are right about getting the rounds in the magizine I can on get one of my Scirrocco loads but I have 180 Winchester power points that will fit in the magizine and shoot an 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards which is fine for back ups. I have killed 99 % of my deer with the first shot anyway. I just really wont the first shot to be bad A.. that’s why I chose the Scirroccos

What have you killed them with so far?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Getting back into the deer hunting game And I have a interarms action .300 win mag yet I have never shot a deer with it ( savage .300 hunter).I bought the rifle not based the rifle and not the caliber so I have always wondered what’s the best factory .300 win load for deer in terms of not trying to destroy a deer if a 70 ya shot presents itself.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Boxer go with heavy for caliber Monos. These will usually tear up less meat unless you hit bone then all bets are off.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
300 mag on deer?

You sure you used enough dynamite Butch? grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
180 plus Barnes are what I use in 300 wtby. I've used lighter. Do not like the destruction at all. even the light barnes will blow a patch of hair off the side of the deer about the size of a baseball.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
796 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 79 invisible), 3,183 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.