Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For those that use small primers, does using them make a difference in how much powder it takes to get a given velocity?

To put it another way, if you find a good load using standard primers would you need to adjust the powder charge if you go to small primers?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sorry, can't help. Have never used small-primer cases when loading either the 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor. As noted in Ask the Gunwriters, I live in Montana where it can get very cold, and have even had problems with some powders in some cartridges with large rifle magnum primers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A shooting partner and I did a SMALL test of this in 6.5 Creedmoor with the Pressure Trace and a chrono somewhat more than a year ago. There was not a noticeable (I don’t recall whether I did any statistical analysis, but if I did I didn’t save it) difference in pressure or speed between Lapua and Norma (SR and LR primers, respectively) cases with the same charge of 4451 under 140s, using Wolf SR magnum and Wolf LR primers. We did the test in quite moderate weather, neither hot nor cold.

THIS WAS NOT AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING TEST, NOR WAS IT EVEN A MODERATE-SIZE TEST. DON’T COUNT ON THIS RESULT WITH EVERY COMBO YOU MIGHT TRY. The Lapua and Norma cases we used were both non-ballon-head cases, meaning the bottoms of the cases are flat on the inside. Hornady cases, at least the ones I’ve always received, _are_ ballon-head, so there would be a capacity difference between them and the Lapuas that one would expect to make a difference in pressure.

Last edited by MZ5; 01/14/19. Reason: Correct auto-correct
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I should note that a similarly small test using Win 748 and light varmint bullets showed me something that made me decide I would not use the SR-primed cases to hunt in cool to cold weather with a heavily-deterred propellant like that. In fact, I’m happy to stick with LR primers for all Creedmoor hunting cartridges. For match shooting, I wouldn’t care what primer size I used for most matches (unless it was going to be cold).

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MZ5
The Lapua and Norma cases we used were both non-ballon-head cases, meaning the bottoms of the cases are flat on the inside. Hornady cases, at least the ones I’ve always received, _are_ ballon-head, so there would be a capacity difference between them and the Lapuas that one would expect to make a difference in pressure.

MZ5, thanks for the information. I'm assuming that any differences in case volume due to the ballon-head/non ballon-head would show up in weight differences, as would case thickness differences?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not enough of a difference to go screwing around with small rifle primers and smaller decap pins in my dies.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hmmm, smaller de-capping pins for all brands of dies? The one I'm using is a Redding Bushing die.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sorry, can't help. Have never used small-primer cases when loading either the 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor. As noted in Ask the Gunwriters, I live in Montana where it can get very cold, and have even had problems with some powders in some cartridges with large rifle magnum primers.

Yep, and its not just that they use small primers, the flash hole is smaller and can cause ignition problems.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Hmmm, smaller de-capping pins for all brands of dies? The one I'm using is a Redding Bushing die.

You got to deprime eventually. For that, youll need a smaller decapping pin. Good luck finding them at your lgs. Btdt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You got to deprime eventually. For that, youll need a smaller decapping pin. Good luck finding them at your lgs. Btdt..

I haven't tried the Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass. However, I ran into the small flash holes with Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass; the flash holes were smaller than the decapping pin in my Hornady dies. The first pass through the die fixed that though, now they're all exactly the size of the decapping pin. I don't recall if I had to tighten the decapper down more than usual, but didn't have any other issues with it.
IIRC I did the same thing on that brass with a Lee 6mm PPC sizer die too; that one has the newer one piece decapping pin and didn't give me any issues at all to open the flash holes.

Has that worked for you in the Creedmoor brass, or have you tried?

Last edited by Yondering; 01/14/19.
IC B3

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MZ5
The Lapua and Norma cases we used were both non-ballon-head cases, meaning the bottoms of the cases are flat on the inside. Hornady cases, at least the ones I’ve always received, _are_ ballon-head, so there would be a capacity difference between them and the Lapuas that one would expect to make a difference in pressure.

MZ5, thanks for the information. I'm assuming that any differences in case volume due to the ballon-head/non ballon-head would show up in weight differences, as would case thickness differences?

Sure, but the trick is to know how much of any weight difference is due to which of those differences. An SR-pocket case of necessity has more brass in it, at least if it's non-balloon-head. So it's heavier because of that, but no more capacious.

The reason we chose to compare those Lapua SR vs. Norma LR was, in part, because they were both flat-bottom cases. I don't find it terribly tedious to measure the volume of fired brass, but I realize that we're all different in what we find tedious.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yep, and its not just that they use small primers, the flash hole is smaller and can cause ignition problems.

You're talking very cold weather I assume?? Hard to wrap my head around why a reputable company based in Finnland would go with a design that doesn't work well in cold weather.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Small-primer 6.5 cases weren't designed for hunting in cold weather. Instead they were designed for target shooting, for those shooters who firmly believe less primer flame can result in better accuracy, and especially for those who like to load to higher pressures, where the extra brass around the primer pocket results in less expansion. Thus making higher velocity possible.

But aside from biathhlon (which combines X-country skiing with rimfire shooting) most target shooting with centerfires takes places in more moderate temperatures.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Here is a great read on SRP vs. LRP with some velocity data you can compare smokepole.

http://alphamunitions.com/kaubers-corner-large-vs-small-rifle-primers/

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks MD and hig, great info.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higbean
Here is a great read on SRP vs. LRP with some velocity data you can compare smokepole.

http://alphamunitions.com/kaubers-corner-large-vs-small-rifle-primers/

I found this tidbit quite interesting. It’s not consistent with my experience.

Chronograph: MagnetoSpeed V3
In addition to the 10 test rounds of each caliber and primer size, I loaded an additional 10 to shoot without the MagnetoSpeed attached. What I found was the MagnetoSpeed shifted the point of impact generally high left .5 – 1.25 MOA but did not affect group size.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wasn't it Tubb (he knows a thing or two) who says he found no difference in performance by using regular primers over the small ones?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Magneto adds almost a mil of elevation rather consistently in my experience.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I remember Tubb being pretty adamant that the 6xc needed large primers.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Higbean,

Exactly, In fact Tubb says on his website that tests proved LR rifle primers worked better, but doesn't specifically name the test.

There are several holes in the Kauber test, including the fact that10 shots isn't a sufficient sample for valid standard deviation in velocity.

Have also seen Magnetospeeds drastically affect group size, not just POI.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.