24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a MRC Extreme X2, and very happy with the build quality and accuracy.

BP-B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think I have had five MRC actions or rifles pass through my hands. Despite their virtues, I would never put "MRC" and "true mountain rifle" together in the same sentence.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Wrongside
First Montana Rifle Co. offering that has peaked my interest in a long time. I wonder what street price will be.

They also have my attention.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by utah708
I think I have had five MRC actions or rifles pass through my hands. Despite their virtues, I would never put "MRC" and "true mountain rifle" together in the same sentence.

So you've handled the new one then?

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Nope, but the amount of weight in the action puts them behind the curve for a true mountain rifle from the outset. The MRC bolt I just weighed is 14.5 oz, and a NULA 9.5. The MRC is derived from blending the M70 and M98 action--neither of which are light weight. Just pull a MRC from a stock and look at the amount of metal below the waterline and you will see what I mean.

There is also the chance that advertised and actual weight for the rifle will differ. The Extreme X2 was advertised at 6# 14oz, but as the thread below indicates, some were substantially heavier than that:

"Overweight" X2 Extreme

I have the exact gun discussed in the thread above--one of the special order of 1-8 twist .243 Win, and its bare weight on a accurate digital scale is 7# 10 oz . That is 3/4# more than the advertised weight.

I have no bone to pick with MRC. I bought two or three of their $350 charter sale actions just when they were starting out, and as someone who grew up in Montana, I thought a Montana action would be a cool thing. They can be the basis for fine rifles; just know that it is not a light design.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kilmanjaro and some of the previous MRC Smiths would put the Kurtz Mt. Rifle style lightening channel on the MRC and then they shaved some weight off the magazine by Swiss cheesing it. I think some even bored out the bolt and put in an aluminum liner. But the Kilmanjaro mountain and ladies rifle were pretty trim.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
From my notes when I tinkered with action weights in the past:

MRC SA CM action with Factory BM = 45.9 oz
MRC SA CM action with LW BM = 41.7 oz
Win SA CM action with factory BM = 41.3 oz
Rem SA SS action with HS Gen1 DBM + Mag = 40.6 oz - (HS DBM + Mag ~5 oz heavier than factory BDL BM)
Rem SA SS action ADL Config = ~33 oz
Custom Titanium Receiver ADL config = ~22 oz.

I agree with utah708, the MRC action is not the place to start for a true fly weight rifle. However, if they can meet the advertised rifle weight for the MRC Ascent, I am still interested.

EDIT: First 5 data points above are sample size of one. Titanium weight based off manufacturer website with titanium bolt option. Cannot recall which brand.

Last edited by Orion2000; 01/16/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000
From my notes when I tinkered with action weights in the past:

MRC SA CM action with Factory BM = 45.9 oz
MRC SA CM action with LW BM = 41.7 oz
Win SA CM action with factory BM = 41.3 oz
Rem SA SS action with HS Gen1 DBM + Mag = 40.6 oz - (HS DBM + Mag ~5 oz heavier than factory BDL BM)
Rem SA SS action ADL Config = ~33 oz
Custom Titanium Receiver ADL config = ~22 oz.

I agree with utah708, the MRC action is not the place to start for a true fly weight rifle. However, if they can meet the advertised rifle weight for the MRC Ascent, I am still interested.

EDIT: First 5 data points above are sample size of one. Titanium weight based off manufacturer website with titanium bolt option. Cannot recall which brand.

That's a fantastic posting for those of us who value an ultralight rifle build. Thanks for taking the time.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lots of good information there.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The surprise for me was that the Win SA set up with PTG light weight BM was actually only slightly heavier than the Rem SA factory set up. I had a scheme in mind to convert a LH Win SA WSM action over to LH Win SA Standard action. However, got distracted and sold the project before I started commissioning metal work.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought a LH Forbes in 7-08 very nice LW rifle that balances like a heavier rifle. Accurate could not build one for what I paid for it. Very impressed with my Tikka LH 6.5 Creedmoor also. Not so with MRC rifles.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by utah708
Nope, but the amount of weight in the action puts them behind the curve for a true mountain rifle from the outset. The MRC bolt I just weighed is 14.5 oz, and a NULA 9.5. The MRC is derived from blending the M70 and M98 action--neither of which are light weight. Just pull a MRC from a stock and look at the amount of metal below the waterline and you will see what I mean.

There is also the chance that advertised and actual weight for the rifle will differ. The Extreme X2 was advertised at 6# 14oz, but as the thread below indicates, some were substantially heavier than that:

"Overweight" X2 Extreme

I have the exact gun discussed in the thread above--one of the special order of 1-8 twist .243 Win, and its bare weight on a accurate digital scale is 7# 10 oz . That is 3/4# more than the advertised weight.

I have no bone to pick with MRC. I bought two or three of their $350 charter sale actions just when they were starting out, and as someone who grew up in Montana, I thought a Montana action would be a cool thing. They can be the basis for fine rifles; just know that it is not a light design.

A couple points. First, I understand the size and weight of the action, as I have owned/handled quite a few. That doesn't necessarily make it impossible to make a sub 6lb gun. The biggest challenge they are likely to have is getting it to balance well. Second, the advertised weight vs tje actual weight of your X2 is in no way relevant as that was a marketing practice of prior leadership. The X3 I have is within about an ounce of it's advertised weight.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Handled a righty Saturday at DSC. Finish was good. Balanced okay to me. Thanked them for offering these in left hand. Contact Robert Perry MRC marketing. Told him about this forum. He said call him direct. Phone 406-756-4867 extension 207.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Scott270, Glad to hear that the balance felt O.K. Also, that the marketing rep is putting his contact info "out there".

Ammoman, Glad to hear that the new X3 is close to it's advertised weight. That is a start. However, trust is earned, not given. The new crew at MRC will have their work cut out to rebuild the trust and reputation that the previous regime trashed. Not picking a fight. Just stating the obvious that they are in a steep rebuild mode at the moment. I sincerely wish them well...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottf270
Handled a righty Saturday at DSC. Finish was good. Balanced okay to me. Thanked them for offering these in left hand. Contact Robert Perry MRC marketing. Told him about this forum. He said call him direct. Phone 406-756-4867 extension 207.

Thanks for taking the time and effort with this.

If the weights are realistically in the upper 5lb range, I may consider one of these rifles. I don't live too far from Kalispell, I'd likely drive up there and look them over.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, thank you very much for your feedback, scott270.

Hope you take that drive, broomd... wink

I really hope these XARs work out. Both for MRCs sake, and ours.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I handled a X3 (of course, RH) last week. Of course, the bolt seems to add to the weight, but it balanced well. I am seriously considering placing an order for a 7mm-08. Some of the negative customer service feedback concerns me.

Does anyone own one and have any comments?

Thanks. DJB

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Finally got pricing from my dealer. $1500. The 6.5 PRC is a no go however. Looks like I'm getting it in 7mm-08.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by ammoman16
Finally got pricing from my dealer. $1500. The 6.5 PRC is a no go however. Looks like I'm getting it in 7mm-08.

Did you ever receive an ETA ? ... Just curious.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
6-8 months. I talked to the dealer to actually place the order the other day and he forgot that it was supposed to be LH. He's supposed to get back in touch with me Wed. I'll post any updates I get.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
185 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.