Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I use to clean my m/l at the end of the season and protect it from rust with wonder lube. Usually would get it out time or two in summer but not always. The times I didn't shoot it in summer I got some rust when I wiped the barrel out before fall sight in time. I read here or somewhere that seasoning the barrel was BS. I decided to protect the barrel with oil and have no more rust even after setting in my gun rack till next fall. What say ya'll, oil or no?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had my T/C Hawken for 15 years. Never used anything but Bore Butter as patch lube and preservative. No rust whatsover inside or out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wonder Lube or Bore Butter will both work as a patch lube and preservative. I some times in the summer when it's blazing hot will coat my T/C hawken barrel removed from the wood with either bore butter or wonder lube inside and out then set it in the sun on my deck and let the sun season the metal. I have no issues with rust anywhere.

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wonder Lube or Bore Butter is a poor rust inhibitor. Oil it up,but remove before shooting black powder in it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
total BS. Its nothing more than mineral oil and paraffin wax. I hear folks say, its olive oil and beeswax!! Yeah right, ever look at the prices of those 2 ingredients and especially the shelf life of olive oil? Not happening.

I personally won't use it. If you currently use it and have good luck with it, keep at it. I have one rusted bore from that stuff because it was a poor anti rust lube.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There are lots of way better cleaning and preservatives out there. Ballistol is one of them that would be suitable for this

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bigblock455
total BS. Its nothing more than mineral oil and paraffin wax. I hear folks say, its olive oil and beeswax!! Yeah right, ever look at the prices of those 2 ingredients and especially the shelf life of olive oil? Not happening.

I personally won't use it. If you currently use it and have good luck with it, keep at it. I have one rusted bore from that stuff because it was a poor anti rust lube.
Hoppe's gun oil is mineral oil. Mineral oil and various waxes have been used as rust inhibitors for a couple centuries.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Wonder Lube or Bore Butter is a poor rust inhibitor. Oil it up,but remove before shooting black powder in it
Yeah, it only works here in New York. Since it's soooo much more humid in Colorado it probably won't work out there..

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Take some Bore Butter and lube a maxi ball with it then let it set a year like you would rifle fro m season to season. You will see it is dried out and flake off.

Seasoning , at least to me, is like when you season a cast iron skillet. You fill up the porous holes of the cast iron and build up a layer of burned on oil. Your muzzle loader is cleaned up to bare metal.

This is why the instructions say not to use oil as a lubricant with black powder. It will turn the oil into carbon coating that is hard to get off. Which is why you use std gun solvents when using BH209. Bore Butter is fine for short term,but I sure don't use it for long term

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Take some Bore Butter and lube a maxi ball with it then let it set a year like you would rifle fro m season to season. You will see it is dried out and flake off.

Seasoning , at least to me, is like when you season a cast iron skillet. You fill up the porous holes of the cast iron and build up a layer of burned on oil. Your muzzle loader is cleaned up to bare metal.

This is why the instructions say not to use oil as a lubricant with black powder. It will turn the oil into carbon coating that is hard to get off. Which is why you use std gun solvents when using BH209. Bore Butter is fine for short term,but I sure don't use it for long term
My Hawken only gets used just before and during muzzleloader season each December. The rest of the year it hangs above the picture window in my living room. It never gets touched in between. Each year I take it out just before MZ season to shoot a few balls for zero check. When I pick it up you can easily see and feel the tacky wax film on the barrel from the Bore Butter that was applied at the end of last season. I have a few of those old dried out Maxi Balls. It took many years for them to get that way.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Has anyone tried Frog Lube as a rust preventative on the outside and bore of a muzzleloader?

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Its pretty much the same thing as bore butter, same consistency, same texture, and it to sucked as a patch lube.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Its pretty much the same thing as bore butter, same consistency, same texture, and it to sucked as a patch lube.

I would not imagine it would be worth andything as a patch lube. It is based off Coconut oil and might be too slippery and runny for that purpose. As a rust preventative though it is very hard to surpass

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most soaps like dawn have salts in them, it is a thickener. So that salt can react with the steel. So I use simple green and water. Then it is clean and hopefully the carbon and sulfur is removed. I usually use RemOil or Barricade as a preservative. Before I shoot it, I clean out the oil with an alcohol wipe.
Lots of people hate bore butter, I am in that camp.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Clean with soap and water, then a couple patches of Hoppe's, followed with some mineral oil and another couple dry patches. Run a patch down and back before loading up to shoot.

Some old timers around here insist on organic substances like bear grease, sheep tallow, etc. My response is that mineral oil is organic.

1Minute
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
only ever used bore butter, really cake it in the barrel at the end of the season. No rust ever

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Bore butter users.... You trust that stuff enough to do this... For a week?
[Linked Image]

N
N
I use Birchwood Casey Barricade. Tried bore butter but no joy. There may be others but Barricade works for me. Heard that seasoning was b.s. and not so couldn't say.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What fool would leave his muzzleloader in the snow for a week in the first place?

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Hatchet Jack for one.

The point being.... Would bore butter users trust it to protector their firearm in conditions that extreme? Seeing how none spoke up... That would be a big no lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 63 invisible), 3,229 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,957
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.