Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
10 feet to 300 yds
No
When I shoot once they are gone, to much cover to spray and pray.
I consider them pests, but don’t gut shoot them to run off and suffer
I gotta have a scope or I would be spraying and praying
No
No
No
Yes I do like trapping them, shooting cshit out of them. That’s why I’m thinking 22-250 for off season when I go to fill feeders-fool around. It may give a bit more reach than my 223 AR’s. I have one stand I can see out to 300 yds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 01/23/19.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Let the air out of one this evening with my 7TCU M700 and a 120 Sierra ProHunter. It died.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty much satisfied that most of it boils down to the setting one hunts in, and how good the shooter is. Most any gun will kill a pig if judiciously employed. Figure your collective limitations and choose the gun/load and hunting style.

That would be my last my version of "It's not the tool that matters."

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Feeling you there Dan. Hence my love for the 22cal Stoner in my relatively open setting. When you’ve got 30 pigs squealing and running in all directions in grass pasture and mixed low brush, light recoil and self loading makes it easier to run up the tally. One can always wander the battlefield polishing off wounded after the dust settles.

I could have probably killed all 5 we saw tonight with an AR or even my 336 when we hemmed them up in the switchgrass were it not for having my favorite 3 year old protege in tow. He got a kick out of the dozen or so babies about the size of rabbits that we caught after the big ones bailed.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Full auto would be nice!

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BTW, Hanco, I wasn't messing with you or trying to offend. I just don't think there is a "best" anything until you consider a lot more things about the use. It is true for rifles, carry guns, lawnmowers, trucks, boats (especially boats!), you name it.
I think the better question is "Hey guys, I've got the itch for a Ruger American, .22-250 with a 1/8 twist. With the right bullet, do you think it would be an adequate pig rifle?"

Sounds like it would, so if I were you I'd go forth and buy one, then go shoot up a bunch of pigs. I'd also be thankful every day that I had a piece of land to hunt and trap pigs, not to mention all the other things you can do on that land.

If I ever get a chance to do a lot of longer range shooting, I'm thinking of a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. The main reason would be to save wear and tear on my more expensive rifles.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hanco
What do you think is the best pig rifle? I’ve shot them with most common deer caliber rifles as well as 223’s, 45’s, 40’s, 9mm. I’m thinking about getting a Ruger American rifle 22-250 with the 1in8 twist barrel to use when it’s not deer season. The 62 Barnes rips them a new ass shot out of an AR. They would be even better at 22-250 speeds. I have Creedmoor rifles too, but want a 22-250. I’ve had Swift’s and other slow twist 22-250’s but I like heavier bullets than they would shoot. Thank you for your support!!!

With all of the pigs that you kill, you should be telling us what to use.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I don’t mean to kill so many! I enjoy other pig hunters opinions.

Last edited by hanco; 01/24/19.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I slapped a 458 SOCOM upper on my AR and went hunting. As expected, the 300gr TTSX proved very effective at dispatching hogs.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We shoot them with .22s in the trap, and in the field I've killed them with everything form a .223 AR-15 up to my .325 WSM. My favorite for walking around is my 6.8SPC. It is just a good balance between being light, easy to hand;e and killing power.

IC B3

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
It make you feel good to kill one of the bastards, no matter what you use.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
What do you think is the best pig rifle? I’ve shot them with most common deer caliber rifles as well as 223’s, 45’s, 40’s, 9mm. I’m thinking about getting a Ruger American rifle 22-250 with the 1in8 twist barrel to use when it’s not deer season. The 62 Barnes rips them a new ass shot out of an AR. They would be even better at 22-250 speeds. I have Creedmoor rifles too, but want a 22-250. I’ve had Swift’s and other slow twist 22-250’s but I like heavier bullets than they would shoot. Thank you for your support!!!

With all of the pigs that you kill, you should be telling us what to use.

not hanco,

but my take.

My original response was "the one I have in my hand at the time."

Chances are the one I will have in my hand at the time will depend on the circumstances of what are my methods.

If I am snaring or trapping,

then

[Linked Image]

a shotgun with buckshot

[Linked Image]

an AR in 223/5.56

[Linked Image]

a pistola

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If I am stand hunting,

then is it a cartridge that is capable of firing a projectile of suffiient diameter and weight to result in two leaky holes in case the critter is not DRT and I have to track. In that case I want a blood trail that a blind man can wade in!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

even if it is in the mud!

Also, as I eat most of what I shoot, with big heavy slow bullets, one can eat right up to the bullet hole!

[Linked Image]

unlike this one that was shot with a 6.5 Leopard (6.5 x 300 WSM), at 120 yds with 140 gr Sierra Spitzers at a MV of 3,200 fps plus!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve never tried to snare pigs, afraid deer will get caught.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I understand, and that is a possibility.

what I typically do is to place my snares at holes in the game wire mesh/barbed wire fence where the hogs and coyotes cross under. I do not put corn out as bait, as I want them to be at full speed when they cross under. If there is not corn, deer are not attracted as they will either jump over the fencing or go under if it is solely barbed wire. At places where the brush is so thick and there is a 18" to 2' tunnel, that hogs use as a transit area. I will place a snare there. Deer do not use those "tunnels". Its much easier to walk the road or unobstructed trails.

ya!

GWB

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I see does going under fences where the pigs go. They go under in places that look impossible to me. Looks like a cool idea, 1/8 cable???

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I see does going under fences where the pigs go. They go under in places that look impossible to me. Looks like a cool idea, 1/8 cable???

[Linked Image]

all things are possible.

http://boarmasters.com/shop/hogs/boarmasters-hog-neck-snare/

https://www.minntrapprod.com/MBS-17-Cam-Lock-Wolf-Hog-Per-Dozen/productinfo/MBS17/

For me, it adds another avenue of enjoyment. I can do a set for hogs in the AM, come in around 10 to 10: 30, grab a snack, take one or more of my buds

[Linked Image]

and a ditty bag with a couple brewskis,( its always beer-thirty at my "beer lease") then run the snares.

Perforate what ever is at the end of the cable,

[Linked Image]

load em' up,

[Linked Image]

go to where I get signal, see if I have any emergencies. Make a couple calls, check out what's happening on the "innanet", then head back to camp. Skin if I got hoglets, take a nap if I don't and get up and head out for the evening hunt!

ya!

GWB

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great photos and a great life!!! Enjoy!!

Molon Labe
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m gonna try a couple in the small holes under the fence. Ever catch a coyote??

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you want to bait soak the corn in diesel fuel. Deer won't touch it but hogs love it for some reason. Maybe it helps get rid of parasites. I have seen coyotes snared but they can get out about half the time. Have also seen a foot left behind which turned me against snaring. I leave that to the government trapper guys.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 51 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.