Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jfw042
Have to say I'm starting to wonder why I personally do. The last few have been kind of disappointing, none of the old rush of excitement. Anyone else noticing that as we get a little slower & grayer?

I share the frustration but ... I'm addicted to elk country, to high mountains in October. I don't particularly care if i ever kill another elk. ML season is mid November and often pretty nasty. Regular rifle is mid October and with climate change in my area, it's gone from being miserable with mixed rain and snow to more "Indian Summer" ... great time to be out. Little frost in the morning, vine maple at its peak, trout will still hit a fly. I am thinking about switching to a flintlock even for centerfire season just .. be out there. The tags are OTC so I'm not taking someone else's chance to hunt by buying one.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm pretty much like Big Fin( Randy) although not as successful at killing big bulls, but I still have about a 95% success ratio in elk hunting.

I will be turning 76 this year.The last five years have been tough to keep it it.I have not missed an elk season in over 40 years,and don't plan to in the near future.However, I have had to make compromises. Big camp pack ins turned into camping in a camper at trailheads and riding in every day.Taller mules were sold and shorter ones bought so I throw a saddle on. The .06 got a muzzle break due to a bad shoulder..I am usually done hunting for the day at noon. Elk quarters had to be cut in smaller pieces so I could load them. With all that, in 2018 though, I killed a darn nice 6 x 6 on a solo hunt. Only me and two mules. Processed it in the field myself at just shy of 11,000 feet and got it back to camp in two loads.Only concession was I had to ask two guys to help me unload it.

Why would someone choose to smack a little white ball around and then chase it or sit in a stadium with 10,000 other people watch guys chase foot ball around when they could be out in God's country?

When I die , I want to slide into home base thinking it was a hell of a ride.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Saddlesore, well said.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Mtnsnake: I Hunt - therefore I am!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Is that a Metallica reference?

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brinky72
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Mtnsnake: I Hunt - therefore I am!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Is that a Metallica reference?

no , he seems to be french.

IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,144
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.