Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pass the 22 Grendel and hold the fluff.

Hint.................

A friend of mine has one of these he had custom built, I was looking at his brass and it is no neck turn 22 PPC.
Don't know why the name change confused

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Grendel is vastly different from a PPC. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Bless your heart for trying..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started out hunting coyotes with a Rock River Varmint model AR, with a 20 inch heavy barrel. Loved how it shot, hated how it carried. Have since settled on lightweight bolt guns, although I do on occasion carry an AR. It's not the kind of gun, but how well you shoot the one you have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boolits matter more than a smidge. Hint.

It prolly ain't unhandy,to squirt 75 ELD magfed Smooches at 310fps+ in a 20" Krunchenticker. Hint.

Bless your heart.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have been hunting coyotes with AR's for a long time, most of mine are a bit on the heavy side as well. I have built several over the years to be coyote hunting specific and they always seem to end up a pound or two heavier than I planned. I always try something different when doing a build to see if it makes it better for coyote hunting. My current AR sports a 1-12" WOA 20" barrel, JP trigger, billet side charge upper with a Leupold 2.5X8 pushing 10 pounds. I never go hunting with just one rifle, I will pack my 6 pound .222 in the truck in case I have a looooooong walk to a stand or in wide open country I will take my 16 pound 22-250AI and see if I can hit a 800 yard coyote with an 80gr VLD

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A Grendel is vastly different from a PPC. Hint.

............Hint, it's not
Bless your heart....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be SURE to "tell" me "more".

Hint.

[Linked Image]

Bless your heart................

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Pass the 22 Grendel and hold the fluff.

Hint.................

A friend of mine has one of these he had custom built, I was looking at his brass and it is no neck turn 22 PPC.
Don't know why the name change confused

The shoulder is about .070" farther forward on the Grendel case, but they are otherwise very similar. Note that the chambers (particularly the neck and throat) are pretty different between a PPC and Grendel, but the case itself is pretty similar as you noticed. You can use PPC dies for Grendel cases, I do that for 243 LBC, which is a 6mm Grendel variant and basically a slightly longer 6mm PPC that's throated for heavy bullets with a no turn neck.

Hope that clears up the differences.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Soup
Yondering ,
Thank you for your prompt reply . I'm inquiring a few things . Would the majority of coyote hunters abandon it and build a new one - OR - do a lot of fellows shoot rigs close to that weight . I need to give you all some facts . We only have about 100 acres to hunt , but there is 170 acres behind our farm where a lot of deer / turkeys and everything else live and come out to our place to eat , no one hunts it . . Next to us is 130 acres mixed wood and fields that the owner hunts for deer . Now the kicker , it's all in Southern New Jersey and the only time we can use rifles is from January 1st to March 15th and we can only have 3 rounds TOTAL in the rifle -it must not be larger than .25 cal and no projos over 80 grains . I think that most coyote hunters everywhere else have more walking to do and hunt over thousands of acres in the West , South West , Mid West and the South .
Now you know my fix , whats your thoughts .

Soup

I don't shoot/hunt nearly as many coyotes as some of the guys here. With that said, IMO that rifle would work fine for me in your application, but I'd probably get tired of packing it around eventually. Seems like what you've got has the scales tipped a bit more towards "precision shooting" than hunting, although that's not necessarily bad and depends on your preferences. Might as well hunt with it some though, your limits and abilities are probably different than mine.

For my own preference, the ARs I've built intentionally as walking around rifles end up in the 6-7 lb range complete; those vary from 9" and 12.5" barreled short guns (pistol and SBR territory) to 20" light rifles. My son and I hunted this fall with the short guns (he's 11 so a small AR is the perfect size), and I'm leaning more and more to that direction for a handy woods gun; while wandering the woods with my 12.5" SBR (and using it on deer) I came to the realization that I didn't need or miss the extra length of a full size rifle. That is a pretty unconventional point of view though, so you may or may not want my input. smile My main point is that maybe with the acreage you have available to hunt and what doesn't sound like many long shots, you might be served just as well or better with a smaller overall package than your current rifle.

As I mentioned above though, if you do decide that one is too heavy and prefer to lighten it up or build a lighter gun, options are plentiful. At the extreme end, you can get one of these rifles under 4 lb with iron sights, call it 5 lb scoped. That'll be expensive and time consuming, but 7 lb scoped is pretty easy and a noticeable difference compared to what you've got. The ARs I've built intentionally as walking around rifles are all in the 6-7 lb range complete; those vary from 9" and 12" barreled short guns (pistol and SBR territory) to 20" light rifles.

Yondering, I sent you a PM.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She was doing "GREAT".

LAUGHING!.

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint.................

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know Stimpy.....

you shoot a lot, of everything... and you brag about shooting out more barrels than most people own X number of rifles....shoot them barrels out and they are plain worn out....

what I don't understand tho..... is you shoot nothing off more than you mouth...

and that never seems to wear out....

so are you still working with the original you came into the world with....

or have you been "rebarreled" or Re Mouthed multiple times in your internet career....

The inquiring minds of your campfire Groupies are dying to know...

Myself... I just think it would all slow down if you weren't living alone anymore...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
laugh well said

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Please find me "mistaken",it WILL be funnier than fhuqk. You CLUELESS Window Licking Dumb Fhuqks are a hoot...mainly because you are doing your best. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Be SURE,to "tell" me "more".

Bless your hearts.

Do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery.

Laughing!.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooopsie!............

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boolits matter more than a smidge. Hint.

It prolly ain't unhandy,to squirt 75 ELD magfed Smooches at 310fps+ in a 20" Krunchenticker. Hint.

Bless your heart.............

Wow 310 fps!!! Are you shiitin me????

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do you have any coyote pics?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooopsie!.................

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
310!!! Smoking!!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooopsie!..............

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Does that camo band help?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.