Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

You and I think a lot alike, and I am not just referring to the fatties.

I normally take the first legal bull I can, so that I can get back to my beloved bird hunting and fishing.

I still have not taken a really big bull though...probably because I take the first bull I legally can.

Who are you? Loser.

Just kidding.

Or not.

Have Dog

Will Travel

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The only reason I kill elk is cause they taste good. Pass the bucks, any species, especially blacktail muley and western\canadian whitetail....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm a thinking many enjoy "Elk Camp".

And they are made of tenderloins, backstraps hams, jerky, stew meat, and burger.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Because my son and I are never closer than when we chase elk together.

[Linked Image]

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
More to get away from the bullschit of the daily grind and to piss off the spousal unit than anything else? Maybe not, but sure seems like that. LOL!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No deep secret. I just love to elk hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Why elk hunt?"

I'm not sure why elk hunt. I've never read a paper that detailed why elk hunt. Elk are herbivores, so they would not hunt in the fashion predators like men hunt. But I suppose elk could hunt some tasty grass or succulent forbs and browse. smile

Now why do I hunt elk? I don't. I admit the elk won. I can't take it anymore. They laugh at me as they come right up to the fence dividing the properties and lay down and wait until legal light has ended, then they flood the field.

I could go on, but it is just plumb embarrassing. I might have to go into the witness protection plan.

Mainly it is because I love hunting antelope and deer more. If I have a need for a larger animal, I do better on moose.

Another reason is that my left leg is significantly weakened after nerve damage caused by a back injury and retrieving most elk is difficult. I have a hard enough time retrieving a deer. Shucks some days it is hard to walk well in a parking lot, let alone rough terrain.

No other animal has embarrassed me like elk.

The elk won.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you live in a state with elk, it can be DIY relatively cheap entertainment,
Well, if you already have all the equipment, it's just the price of the tag. But, it never seems to end there, does it? There's always '1 more thing' an elk hunter can't hunt elk without. I just laid out $300 for a new backpacking quilt. There's always a better scope that your rifle just can't kill an elk without. 9 years ago I got into llama packing because I'm getting too old to pack elk quarters on my back. They haven't quit eating since I got them. There's no end to the cost of that 'free' entertainment.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

9 years ago I got into llama packing because I'm getting too old to pack elk quarters on my back. They haven't quit eating since I got them. There's no end to the cost of that 'free' entertainment.

Boy that is for sure and mules eat a lot more than llamas. Then you figure tack, trailer truck to pull it with. However, if I didn't have them, I would have a tough time elk hunting

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/19/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To get a bull 2 come in blowing snot all over, dry humping around screaming with eyes wide shut!

It changes you man, it changes you!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore

9 years ago I got into llama packing because I'm getting too old to pack elk quarters on my back. They haven't quit eating since I got them. There's no end to the cost of that 'free' entertainment.

Boy that is for sure and mules eat a lot more than llamas. Then you figure tack, trailer truck to pull it with. However, if I didn't have them, I would have a tough time elk hunting

My sons, DIL, best buddy, and myself, have taken 5 elk, all cows, in the past few years, off of a RFW property here in CO. All have been 'meat hunts', and all have been enjoyable outings with friend and family. Cost of these hunts have been just the resident tag, maybe a motel for a night or two, occasional ammo or gear, and gas to and from. Hunt area is only about 80 miles from where any of us live.
I will apply again this season, for the same tag, as I have enough pref points built up to again draw. One, or both, of my sons will join me on the hunt, to help with getting the elk loaded up once, or if, I pull the trigger.
I look forward to this hunt as much as any guided hunt for a big bull I have ever been on.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My elk hunting partner says it "separates the men from the boys"... I say I hunt elk, because they are tasty...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To me, elk are nothing more than groceries. I typically apply for a cow tag close to home here in the desert where one can be procured easily and loaded into the truck in big pieces, if not whole. Once that’s done I get back to what I really enjoy, hunting big mule deer and antelope.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chesterwy
To me, elk are nothing more than groceries. I typically apply for a cow tag close to home here in the desert where one can be procured easily and loaded into the truck in big pieces, if not whole. Once that’s done I get back to what I really enjoy, hunting big mule deer and antelope.
Our rifle elk and deer season overlap for 2 weeks. Our deer season, in most units, ends Oct 31 and the rut starts after that so the big boys take some serious hunting to find them. This fall I saw a real dandy mulie buck with 10 does a week after the season closed. He would have looked good on anyone's wall. Standing broadside at 200 yds. Piece of cake except for that cussed closed season.
Antelope tags in Idaho are very hard to get. The odds are usually 1 in 25 or worse. I've only drawn twice in my life.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I hunt solely for the meat. Have done so since I was a child. Horns are secondary. Think about it... God absolutely organic meat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iddave

[Linked Image]

People like Dave (and many others on this forum) that are willing and eager to commit the time and Herculean effort it takes to be consistently successful at harvesting nice bulls on public land, have my total admiration.

I am not willing to put in that effort.....and I suffer the consequences....by choice.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes the hardest part of the hunt is getting the tag. Where we hunt, bull tags are about a 1 in 6 or 7 chance. With cow tags, we've only missed once in 5 years. I'd rather hunt as often as possible rather than hold out for that bull tag. Besides, antlers taste terrible.

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Sometimes the hardest part of the hunt is getting the tag. Where we hunt, bull tags are about a 1 in 6 or 7 chance. With cow tags, we've only missed once in 5 years. I'd rather hunt as often as possible rather than hold out for that bull tag. Besides, antlers taste terrible.

I agree. Having said that, I’ve only drawn one tag in 30 year of hunting Idaho. The bull in the photo above was OTC tag fwtw.

Wageslave pegged it correctly with me. I’m just willing to go to lengths most guys aren’t to kill a bull. That’s been the “secret” to my success for my entire life. If I was a better hunter and could tag them more easily, I damn sure would. Thankfully for me, my boy seems up to the task as well so we’ve shared some sucess as a result.

I know it sounds crazy, but the shared misery of packing a bull like that 5 miles on your back is a bonding experience unlike very few occurrences in a man’s life. My time at boot camp at Fort Leonard Wood comes to mind in terms of a similar experience honestly.

Last edited by iddave; 01/19/19.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Elk do have ways of wining more often than not. But it sure is fun.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Because the only thing that gets me more excited while hunting is a heavily furred coyote coming into a call. And I doubt the wife would appreciate me filling the freezer with coyote meat (I do end up with a lot of coyote hides in the freezer though). Besides antelope they are the best tasting animal I have had but an antelope doesn’t fill the freezer

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
761 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 85 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.