Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Well, I got outbid on the drilling and 1 of the SxS I was interested in is relisted because it didn't get a bid last time around. I'm watching a couple right now, but unless I stumble on a good deal i'm hoping to have 1 bought in about a week.
I was talking to a friends dad at the coffee shop the other day. Turns out he has a SKB SxS. Followed him back to his house and got to look it over and swing it around a bit. Liked it.

I looked at that BSS. Not really what i'm after, but thanks for the heads up.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by LJBass
Well, I got outbid on the drilling and 1 of the SxS I was interested in is relisted because it didn't get a bid last time around. I'm watching a couple right now, but unless I stumble on a good deal i'm hoping to have 1 bought in about a week.
I was talking to a friends dad at the coffee shop the other day. Turns out he has a SKB SxS. Followed him back to his house and got to look it over and swing it around a bit. Liked it.

I looked at that BSS. Not really what i'm after, but thanks for the heads up.

Do you know if the SKB is a Turkish build or Japanese? Is it a 200E? If it is a Japanese built 200E 28 gauge, I would be interested in it if you decide not to buy it yourself.

BTW, while the Japanese built Ithaca 200's have a great rep, I would pass on a SKB 200 made in Turkey.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by sidepass
Have a very nice Merkel model 8 in 12 gauge that I paid much less for. Also have a 20 Gauge Ugartechea from lion Country and a 12 Beretta 471 Silver Hawk.
Look up doubleshotguns.com and Upland Journal. Auction arms works also

I bought a real nice model 8 about 7 years ago for $650. That's the direction I would be going even if I paid twice that,and that is definitely doable.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Don't buy anything until you look here. This guy goes to England twice a year just to buy affordable side by side shotguns. Everything he has is proof tested and measure for tolerances to make sure they are ready to be used and will last many years and thousands of rounds. British shotguns surpass all the other european side by sides in quality of build and still, they are lighter and much more pleasant to hunt and shoot.

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12906

This Webley was purchased for less than your budget limit you have...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Do you know if the SKB is a Turkish build or Japanese? Is it a 200E? If it is a Japanese built 200E 28 gauge, I would be interested in it if you decide not to buy it yourself.

BTW, while the Japanese built Ithaca 200's have a great rep, I would pass on a SKB 200 made in Turkey.
[/quote]

It's a 1961 Japanese 12ga.

I'll take another look at Merkels, I've been ignoring them because It seemed like a cheap merkel was 2500.

I believe Shrapnel is getting younger or his pictures are going back in time. That shop looks like a good resource. The gun you linked is the best looking gun there in my price range, to my taste anyways.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes Hill Rod and Gun usually has a very nice inventory on hand as does CSMC, William Larkin Moore, and Robin Hollow

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That Beretta Gardone sure could scratch that itch I have. Think a 690 Field 3 will have to do.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Don't buy anything until you look here. This guy goes to England twice a year just to buy affordable side by side shotguns. Everything he has is proof tested and measure for tolerances to make sure they are ready to be used and will last many years and thousands of rounds. British shotguns surpass all the other european side by sides in quality of build and still, they are lighter and much more pleasant to hunt and shoot.

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12906

This Webley was purchased for less than your budget limit you have...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the link... I think!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last thing I need is another older SXS but cannot help myself when I see a nice one...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Last thing I need is another older SXS but cannot help myself when I see a nice one...

There's something we agree on.

LOL
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks for the info.. Just what I have been looking for..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Difficult to buy a shotgun sight unseen. As you all know, the shotgun must be a good physical fit when you mount it. it may be pretty and a good buy, but unless it is a good fit for you, the money will be wasted.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Difficult to buy a shotgun sight unseen. As you all know, the shotgun must be a good physical fit when you mount it. it may be pretty and a good buy, but unless it is a good fit for you, the money will be wasted.

Or, one can get a gun and they like fitted to them. As all gun stocks are made to fit "the average man" odds are pretty good the stock of any given shotgun will not fit the shooter. The gun may be close enough for a given person to shoot well enough but it likely doesn't "fit" them.

This leads to the question, "Just how does a person know if a stock fits?" Unless the buyer already knows how a gun properly fitted to them should "feel", they are most likely to purchase a gun that "feels" like the last one even if every dimension was incorrect. People tend to buy what's familiar when their knowledge or experience is not to the level of telling them otherwise.

I recommend buying the gun one likes and then go shoot it for a while. Several hundred shells should get one enough rounds to determine if they can shoot the gun well enough. If not happy with the results, a trip to a qualified shooting instructor is next. An instructor should be able to determine if the gun fits close enough and, if so, what flaw(s) in your shooting need to be fixed to get the most from you and your equipment. If the gun fits poorly, a good instructor will be able to recognize the basic issues and might be able to make some gross changes to alleviate the problems. The instructor should also be able to suggest someone better able to help correct fitting problems.

If buying a gun to shoot, I look first at what pleases me or has the features I want. Fit is one of the last criteria. I've gone through the fitting process with enough guns to get a good idea of what needs to be done and how much it will cost. I factor cost into the price and then decide if fitting is viable or not. I've walked away from some otherwise good deals due to fitting cost. I've also made some pretty good buys as someone else jumped from gun to gun hoping to luck into a gun that "fit" them as it came from the factory. I keep in touch with a couple of these people, I get some pretty good offers on guns from them.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 01/27/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Woodmaster81 nailed it, guns aren't made to fit. They are an average that no person is.

L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
The Eagle has Landed... In budget, nice wood and checkering, nice engraving, straight English stock and splinter forearm, 2-3/4 12gauge chambers.

It's not a name I recognize, but I'm happy with all the details. I'm glad it came along before I got impatient and bought something that wasn't quite right.

Here is a link for those interested, And I do want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions... And now because someone suggested Ugartechea, I believe the next itch to scratch might be a Model 153... next year unless I sell a few I don't use anymore.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797370627

Thanks Lonnie.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
2-1/2" chambers?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice gun I believe those chambers have been opened up. Nothing wrong with that. If the gun was all original I believe it would have went for more money. I could be wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LJBass
The Eagle has Landed... In budget, nice wood and checkering, nice engraving, straight English stock and splinter forearm, 2-3/4 12gauge chambers.

It's not a name I recognize, but I'm happy with all the details. I'm glad it came along before I got impatient and bought something that wasn't quite right.

Here is a link for those interested, And I do want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions... And now because someone suggested Ugartechea, I believe the next itch to scratch might be a Model 153... next year unless I sell a few I don't use anymore.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797370627

Thanks Lonnie.

You won't be disappointed, it is a British gun and fulfills all your criteria of "Classy" and still in your budget. Once you hold and look at side by sides, you can see the Brits do have the edge on any American or European shotgun for weight, fit and finish...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Woodmaster:

I don't disagree with what you wrote, but as a caveat, I did a stock fitting on a Blaser F3 that set me back $650. I also had a Beretta Silver Pigeon V 28 ga that came with a straight English stock. I couldn't adapt to it and sent it to Cole Gunsmithing who replaced the stock with a pistol grip stock for a total of $1,000 expended. Yes, it was nice piece of XX+ walnut and I love the gun since the stock was replaced. It is now a quail killer par excellence! But the price of stock fitting must be figured into the overall cost of the gun.

If you find a nice Parker VHE in fine, original condition and do a stock fitting, you have devalued the collector value of the gun considerably.

Just saying....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Woodmaster:

I don't disagree with what you wrote, but as a caveat, I did a stock fitting on a Blaser F3 that set me back $650. I also had a Beretta Silver Pigeon V 28 ga that came with a straight English stock. I couldn't adapt to it and sent it to Cole Gunsmithing who replaced the stock with a pistol grip stock for a total of $1,000 expended. Yes, it was nice piece of XX+ walnut and I love the gun since the stock was replaced. It is now a quail killer par excellence! But the price of stock fitting must be figured into the overall cost of the gun.

If you find a nice Parker VHE in fine, original condition and do a stock fitting, you have devalued the collector value of the gun considerably.

Just saying....

Read the last paragraph of my last post which begins, "If buying a gun to shoot..." and you will see I covered the caveats you brought up. I would balk at spending $650 to fit a Savage 311 but that would be reasonable to me on an F3 that retails for several thousand dollars. $1000 for an upgraded replacement stock for a Beretta 687 is also a great deal even for a -$3000 gun. If it would have been the typical factory grade wood for that price, I would have walked away.

As for the Parker, I would have it fitted in a heartbeat if I were buying it to be a shooter. As mentioned, I would factor the cost of fitting into what I would be willing to pay. It makes zero sense to me to buy a firearm to use but keep it in a condition which reduces its utility. Now, if this thread was in regards to collecting guns rather than shooting them my answers might be different.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
788 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 76 invisible), 3,212 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.