Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

You clearly know more than I do so I will leave you to it.

I am asking you to give some accurate chronograph data on the old 44 Mag ammo. You made the statement about it. Now I am not talking about some old ammo that has been in quesrionable storage where the powder could have broken down etc.. How simple is that.
The information I gave on SAAMI specs and how the pressure guns are referenced is easy to do.
SAAMI has a website.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nah, I’m not going to engage. I do this crap for a living and I’m too burned out to get into this on a forum. Sorry.

Refer to Brian Pearce’s chronograph data from Guns magazine where he recreated Elmer Keith’s 600 yard mule deer kill. If the ammo he procured was poorly stored and it’s condition degraded, it still averaged a higher velocity than similar contemporary loads by a margin. Would it have been even faster when new/fresh? It’s likely.

Have at it gentlemen. It’s Saturday and I have better things to do this morning.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I already gave you a velocity of early 70s Remington factory load 240 grain JHP was 1400 FPS, newer manufactured depending on brand is between 1180 and 1240 FPS useing an Olher 35.

I know what is claimed that the 40,000 CUPS is equal to 36,000 PSI, but that doesn’t wash since they were loading and testing with only the CUP method the velocities were higher, therefore they can’t truly be equal.

Brain Pierce wrote that the 60s Winchester loaf claimed 1650 FPS, but shot closer to 1550 out of real revolvers.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nah, I’m not going to engage. I do this crap for a living and I’m too burned out to get into this on a forum. Sorry.

Refer to Brian Pearce’s chronograph data from Guns magazine where he recreated Elmer Keith’s 600 yard mule deer kill. If the ammo he procured was poorly stored and it’s condition degraded, it still averaged a higher velocity than similar contemporary loads by a margin. Would it have been even faster when new/fresh? It’s likely.

Have at it gentlemen. It’s Saturday and I have better things to do this morning.

How much higher? Was the differerence within the normal variation between firearms of the same barrel length. Was it jacketed or lead bullets? What was it?
If lead had the lube the factory use maybe degraded and cause a problem with velocity? Lets get the details. Since you do this for a living and you are famous so call pearce and ask him some pertinent questions.

HE MENTORS ME.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jwp475
I already gave you a velocity of early 70s Remington factory load 240 grain JHP was 1400 FPS, newer manufactured depending on brand is between 1180 and 1240 FPS useing an Olher 35.

I know what is claimed that the 40,000 CUPS is equal to 36,000 PSI, but that doesn’t wash since they were loading and testing with only the CUP method the velocities were higher, therefore they can’t truly be equal.

Brain Pierce wrote that the 60s Winchester loaf claimed 1650 FPS, but shot closer to 1550 out of real revolvers.

Give the specifics on the test you are talking about. Barrel length? Where did you got the velocities? From whom did you get the information? Did you actually do the test yourself?

HE MENTORS ME.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Cant you read I clearly stated an Olher 35. My barrel length was 6” the same revolver that got between 1180 and 1240 with recently manufactured Ammo.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Cant you read I clearly stated an Olher 35. My barrel length was 6” the same revolver that got between 1180 and 1240 with recently manufactured Ammo.

What brand of ammo? Did you chronograph the actual ammo? Are you quoting off the box on the aforementioned ammo? Give some details of you chronographing epiphany.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never claimed fame. You can call Brian Pearce if you want or simply get online and find the article. In fact I will dig up the date of the publication and you. I’m a bit surprised you don’t know about that particular test.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No I chronographed recent manufactured, Winchester, Speer, Fiochii, Federal. Actual chronographed these loads.

Recent manufactured Buffalo Bore and Underwood equaled the old Remington loads at 1400 FPS.

I understand your take, because that’s what SAAMI claims but I know because I’m old enough to know that today’s SAAMI me,be5 Ammo is not loaded to the same higher velocity as the older stuff since the switch to PSI. Denton’s conversion works reasonable well it shows 40,000 CUP to be closer to 43,500 PSI.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Never claimed fame. You can call Brian Pearce if you want or simply get online and find the article. In fact I will dig up the date of the publication and you.

I am asking you. You made a statement on velocity with a declaring declaration.

HE MENTORS ME.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Brian Pearce wrote that the older loads were faster than today’s, faster means higher pressure.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

No I chronographed recent manufactured, Winchester, Speer, Fiochii, Federal. Actual chronographed these loads.

Recent manufactured Buffalo Bore and Underwood equaled the old Remington loads at 1400 FPS.

I understand your take, because that’s what SAAMI claims but I know because I’m old enough to know that today’s SAAMI me,be5 Ammo is not loaded to the same higher velocity as the older stuff since the switch to PSI. Denton’s conversion works reasonable well it shows 40,000 CUP to be closer to 43,500 PSI.

I am 66 and have been reloading for over 40 years. Not that means anything. look at a lot of others.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
October 2009 issue of Handloader - not Guns, my mistake.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by glockdoofus

I am 66 and have been reloading for over 40 years. Not that means anything. look at a lot of others.

I’m talking factory loads not hand loads. I’ve got yo7 by a couple of years.

Incidentally the same happened with the 357 mag.

Last edited by jwp475; 01/19/19.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I know what you are talking about. Which load gave 1180 and 1240 FPS? Do you remember?

HE MENTORS ME.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know what you are talking about. Which load gave 1180 and 1240 FPS? Do you remember?

I don’t remember the velocity for each, my notes only indicate, some brand or brands were 1180 and some hit 1240 FPS. the early 70’s Remington JHP got 1400 FPS.

You are old enough to remember the ear splitting sound of those early loads in 357 mag

I have a 1969 reloading Manuel that show 23 grains of 2400 behind a warp grain bullet in 44 mag.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I don’t remember the velocity for each, my notes only indicate, some brand or brands were 1180 and some hit 1240 FPS. the early 70’s Remington JHP got 1400 FPS.

You are old enough to remember the ear splitting sound of those early loads in 357 mag

I have a 1969 reloading Manuel that show 23 grains of 2400 behind a warp grain bullet in 44 mag.

Although I am 66 I have never heard of a warp grain bullet. Which brand gave the 1180 and the 1240.

HE MENTORS ME.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

That’s a typo should be 240 grain. Those keys do both letters and numbers and I didn’t proof read.

Again I do not remember which brands did the 1180 and which brands that did 1240. No load that I chronographed in my M29 went below 1180 and none went above 1280. As I remember it was one or the other speed. It was 2008 when I did this

Just buy some recent manufactured 44 mag of manufacturers that are SAAMI members and chronograph them yourself, you should get similar numbers that I got.

I’ve still got a few of the 70s Remington 240 JHP loads that I can chronograph again if needed

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

That’s a typo should be 240 grain. Those keys do both letters and numbers and I didn’t proof read.

Again I do not remember which brands did the 1180 and which brands that did 1240. No load that I chronographed in my M29 went below 1180 and none went above 1280. As I remember it was one or the other speed. It was 2008 when I did this

Just buy some recent manufactured 44 mag of manufacturers that are SAAMI members and chronograph them yourself, you should get similar numbers that I got.

I’ve still got a few of the 70s Remington 240 JHP loads that I can chronograph again if needed

What barrel length is that M29? 4, 6, 6.5, 8.375 inch. Maybe a 3 inch?

HE MENTORS ME.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If one is NOT a SAAMI member one IS NOT REQUIRED to adhere to their specifications. The ammo can be loaded with "blow the doors off loads" so that doesnt compute in this conversation.

HE MENTORS ME.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.