Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by C_ROY
Another thought is to build. What are good actions to use a s a base? Interarms Mark X ? Others? I assume finding a Model 70 action at a good price to build would be difficult.....For a Ruger 375 that uses a std action, correct? I could look for 30-06 or 270 for an action, correct? The 375 H&H I assume look for a mag like a 7mm, 300 Win?

Yes....one can build a .375 H&H and one could use a Mauser action.....even a VZ-24 but it requires a fair amount of work and definitely requires feed rail adjustments.....it can be expensive and not everyone can do it.....even a few smiths that say they can, cannot actually make these things feed well.....

If one really wants a Mauser action for the task, I would agree on the Whitworth.....but there are others such as the ones imported by Charles Daly (Zastava) and the Mark X that might be good donors for the task.....but find one originally made for the magnum actions.....
Finding a pre-64 Model 70 action for the job isn't easy but might turn out to be expensive....the later CRF models in magnum settings will work fairly well....the work required to convert a 7mm Mag to .375 H&H isn't extensive and not too difficult to do.....find one listed as a "classic" for the task.

One should decide in advance if CRF is a requirement....if it is so be it.....but if it's not, then Remington and Sako and Weatherby Vanguard are also fine options.....personally, I believe the CRF feature is way overblown and would not hesitate to use a push feed action for a .375 H&H

Mine is a Winchester classic originally chambered to .338 Win Mag....it works fine in .375 H&H but did require some modifications to the magazine box, and bolt stop...No work necessary to the bolt face or feed rails were required.

That said, building is chiefly for one that wants something he cannot buy....such as stock features, barrel twists, barrel contours, magazine capacity....and the list goes on and on....in the net result he probably won't do much better than to buy a new Winchester Alaskan and go hunting....most any build will take up to a year to complete depending on what you really want.....the new Winchester will be in your hands in a week or two....we all have different checkbooks and timelines....only you can decide.

Sound advice from someone who has BTDT. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 700 either and you can probably pick one up cheap and use the money you save to practice, practice practice.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
+1 on the Whitworth.

I agree with you and ingwe. The Whitworth is a hell of a bargain and excellent action and rifle. I actually ran across one of those when I was selling my pre 64 375H&H to Gunner for his Africa trip. Had I not been getting out of the 375 scene, I would have snagged that rifle up in a heartbeat. It was a beauty and only $600.00 locally. Yep, I still kick myself in the azz, for not buying it... I'm sure I'll be smoking a turd in hell for it too... sick

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by C_ROY
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I'm a big fan of using the same model for everything. If you can get a 375 in the same model as your 338, that would be the bee's knees. Muscle memory and auto pilot are pretty handy tools.
Bfly

My .338 and all my other rifles are all Remington 700 based. I believe most PH's prefer the positive feed of a mauser based action. I'm OK straying into the dark side of control round feed. laugh

Don't do that, you may want to throw all of your 700's away when you get back..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just be patient. Great deals on used 375's happen frequently on many forums. Unless you think you're going to hunt a lot of buffalo, or other DG, save your money and go used and maybe something that'll hold value so you can sell it afterwards if you're only going once.

You could also save money going with the 375 Ruger, usually. Heck most any standard magnum could be re-bored to 375 Ruger. Find a 7mm Rem ir something in the 4-500 range, send it to JES and $225 later you'll have your 375. But it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to find a 375R for 6-700 either

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used a .375 H&H CZ 550 Safari Magnum which is basically a Mauser action. They're fairly heavy rifles, but that means recoil is very manageable. These rifles are used a lot in Africa and most PH's have confidence in them.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
PM sent!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
C ROY,

My first .375 H&H (the one I've now had to almost 30 years, despite a couple others along the way) is a Whitworth Mark X. Bought it for $225 at Capital Sports & Western Wear in Helena, Montana. It had a cheap synthetic stock, which I then replaced with a better one, and then added a pretty plain-grained American walnut stock I fitted and checkered, and shortened the barrel to 22". The late Dave Gentry added one of his M70-style 3-position safeties, and D'Arcy Echols eventually added a set of NECG express sights. It shoots very well, and among other animals (including one buffalo) took my first kudu, a huge-bodied bull so old its horns were broomed back several inches, like an old bighorn sheep The Whitworths are fine rifles, and if you find one in good they really don't need extra stuff I've had done to mine.

That said, I would suggest you take RinB's advice and at least contact the PH, asking if he'd be amenable to using the .338 you already own. Just about everything in Africa is flexible, including the regulations about minimum "caliber"--and .375 is by no means the universal legal minimum.The saved money could toward other safari expenses, which always crop up.

But if you really, truly want a .375, so you have an "African" rifle to take to Africa, then you should get one! That's why I took my Whitworth on my first safari, even though it was strictly plains game.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My first African trip in 2010 was plains game only and I took my trusty .338 Win Mag. It did it all with very little fuss.

When I re upped in 2015 and wanted to include cape buffalo, I first bought a CZ in 458 Lott. It shot 500 gr pills and was a little snappy from the bench.

I settled on a Dakota M76 in 416 Rigby, which shot 400 gr bullets very well, and I took my 338 Win Mag for everything else. That was my ticket to success.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"THE SAME ACTION AS YOUR 338 MAKES SENSE"

I agree with those that said this.

100% especially for dangerous game. they nailed it.

I chose years ago to use Sako actions for rifles, and Merkel breakopens for upland game.

of course you get to ducks and geese and fine firearms are replaced with disposable berettas and benellis...

A shooter needs to find the safety without thinking, the trigger(s) without looking, and the target instinctively.

same goes for actions and scopes.

also a good idea for motorcycles as we get older, oh, and wives. stick with one model...

Last edited by jameister; 01/20/19.

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm a big fan of using the same model for everything. If you can get a 375 in the same model as your 338, that would be the bee's knees. Muscle memory and auto pilot are pretty handy tools.
Bfly

Smart man.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A common trend on replies seems to be use a familiar and similar rifle. I'm good with that; I would enjoy putting together a 375 Ruger on an unused 700 7mm Mag I have here not being used.

I will talk to my PH the end of February as he will be in my area for a sports show and we plan to meet to nail down exact dates. I will ask him about using a push feed vs. a control round feed. I will also ask about using my .338 but a new rifle/project is always fun and furthers my looniness!

PASS IT ON!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What sports show in NC in February?

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh

PASS IT ON!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by donsm70
My first African trip in 2010 was plains game only and I took my trusty .338 Win Mag. It did it all with very little fuss.

When I re upped in 2015 and wanted to include cape buffalo, I first bought a CZ in 458 Lott. It shot 500 gr pills and was a little snappy from the bench.

I settled on a Dakota M76 in 416 Rigby, which shot 400 gr bullets very well, and I took my 338 Win Mag for everything else. That was my ticket to success.

donsm70

I 2nd the Dakota in 416 Rigby. 400 grain Barnes TSXs are deadly. My father liked mine and needed a scoped bolt-action rifle for buffalo on our trip to Tanzania. We took the doubles but were after bait, so we needed to be successful on stalks versus having fun. We took 5 bulls that trip. The 3 he shot were dead within 60 yards. He has a .375 H&H and took a bull on his first trip to Africa. It was a bit light, in his opinion and he wouldn’t use it again.

And go with the Rigby—always go with a traditional African cartridge. Yeah, they may be a bit more expensive but you don’t shoot them all the time and it’s part of the experience, right?

Last edited by kscowboy01; 01/21/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bfly

I am also a big believer in this. Although they are not the same make, 7 of my hunting and practice rifles (.223, .22-250, .257 Ackley, 7 mm RM, .308 Win, .300 Wby, and .375 RUM) are scoped, bolt actions of approximately the same weight, have the stock dimensions, and the same safety location and operation.

When I was preparing for my first Cape Buffalo hunt in 2005 I had a Rem 700 Classic in .375 H&H, but it's stock was not the same as my other rifles, and it wasn't exactly what I wanted, so I traded it and bought a Stainless Rem 700 in .375 RUM. I immediately re-stocked it in laminated wood from Richards that I shaped and checkered the same as my other rifles. I then developed moa or better loads for it with several different bullets (300 grain TSX @ 2840 fps, 300 grain Partitions @ 2909 fps, and 270 grain TSX @ 3030 fps). I put a 2-7x Leupold scope on it, and to control its recoil, I had a KDF muzzle brake installed on it and I put a mechanical recoil reducer in the stock. It's felt recoil is not much more than my 7 mm RM.

I have used it on two South African and one Zimbabwe hunts, with shots from 30 to 348 yards on a variety of animals from Steenbok to Buffalo, and I couldn't be happier with it's performance.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what a classic M-70 converted from a 338 mag looks like when it's a .375 H&H

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by vapodog; 01/21/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]]

Last edited by vapodog; 01/21/19.
B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think the easiest thing to do would be to purchase a new M70 Safari Express and be done with it. Prices are reasonable and you should be good to go right out of the box. The sooner you buy your rifle the sooner you can begin practicing with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC3
I think the easiest thing to do would be to purchase a new M70 Safari Express and be done with it. Prices are reasonable and you should be good to go right out of the box. The sooner you buy your rifle the sooner you can begin practicing with it.

yup....very sage advice

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A good New Haven .375 may be a good way to go, has the original M-70 trigger preferred by many.

I got this one used here on the Classifieds. Had it chopped and flutted, added NECG irons. Tweaked the NH trigger to a clean 3#'s, redid the hot glue bedding with Steel Bed. Shoots very well. Lot of gun for the cost.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,428
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.