Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Never ask a barber if you need a haircut!

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

P
P
One of two guns I regret selling

M
M
Hi guys, first day on the forum, and I’m not usually given to making profound statements nor observations, however I see there is a lot of comment about what gun to shoot a Buffalo with..........well after being a full licensed full time Professional Hunter in Africa for 29 years. I am licensed in Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa(only Limpopo and Mpumalanga) and recently adding Cameroon to my portfolio, I have hunted numerous elephant in Botswana too.
I can honestly tell you it has more to do with which gun do you like to shoot? .375HH is the accepted legal minimum in most countries and it is a jolly fine caliber, hence the reason it’s been around so damned long. Now you have the minimum caliber, you have to ask yourself what style of rifle do you enjoy shooting.
Believe me, contrary to all the charging buffalo footage you may have watched on the outdoor channel, or read in the latest experts article on hunting Africa’s Dangerous Game, it happens quite infrequently.
It’s also unlikely you will need to do any barrel rolls or load your gun upside down, nor shoot from the hip falling backwards(watch out for your PH please!)
Most off the shelf factory rifles, if you keep them clean, will not let you down. Bear in mind that most of our game you’ll be shooting at 100 meters or less. No need for fancy barrels with unreal grouping.
Most hunter arriving in camp can’t manage the much acclaimed 1”group. Most PH’s just want to see you can get it in a group to start with, and take it from there. If your first bullet is in the bull, that’s it, let’s go hunting. We really don’t want to mess with team confidence and take a second shot!
In all those years of guiding hunters on over 200 buffalo, and around 100 elephant maybe more, my worst rifle and ammunition issues on safari came from reloads and rebuilds, where someone with the tools thought they new more than the manufacturer. Please excuse me if you fall into that category, but it’s the truth. People trying to get a little extra bang from a bullet, a little tighter group from a bullet and barrel/action, all the while the buffalo doesn’t know this, nor does he care. One thing is though, if you make him angry you better make sure you shoot straighter the second time. I can’t say how many times I’ve heard how that buffalo just wouldn’t die........shot 6 times and still running.....that’s cause none are seriously fatal vital organ shots. He will probably die, just not now. I’ve seen plenty of well executed shots that drop the buff in his tracks, and it’s not because of the brilliance of the gun but more the nerve of the hunter and his ability to shoot his favorite gun.
Shoot the gun you love to shoot, .375HH and above for your Buffalo, elephant, dikdik, sable, impala, bongo, eland..............everything. You only need one gun.

I’ve carried a .458wm from Winchester’s Super Grade shelf. A model 70 (post’64), no controlled feed, no claw extraction. 2 down and one in the barrel. It was given to me in 1993 by a well known Retired PH and one of the original Safari Outfitters in Zimbabwe. This rifle is an extension of my arm. There is no cherckering left, just a shadow where it used to be, the Blueing is all but gone where it is exposed to the elements and my sweaty hands. The magazine inside front looks a little like the texture of a golf ball, from the rounds in the magazine striking the front with the recoil all these years, I only use monolithic 465gr ammunition.....cause I only shoot your game when we really have to.......close.
So let me conclude with saying, by the Grace of the good Lord, no one has been hurt in anyway on my watch. I have never had a misfire, I have never had a problem loading, unloading, nor any safety issues. SHOOT WHAT YOU KNOW & KNOW WHAT YOU SHOOT.
Love AFRICA, she needs you. Cheers.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Matetsi,

WELCOME ABOARD. - Interesting post, too.

yours, Darla & tex

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by C_ROY
Got my my 1st Cape Buffalo hunt booked for 2022.... yeah I know it's a ways out but I have to save up! grin

Now to get a dedicated buff rifle. I really wish I could use my .338 Win Mag. I have used that rifle for 17 yrs and I just can't imagine a properly placed 275 Swift A frame or 285 Barnes TSX would bounce off a Cape but it'a an excuse for a new gun. laugh

Looking at a Kimber Talkeetna. What 375 you guys using for buffalo?

I would think a 338WM would work just fine. I know several people who have used them with great success. Id talk with your PH prior to dropping the coin and see if he would allow you to use it. Caliber restrictions are pretty easier to legally get around in Africa.

If I had a 338 I would NOT purchase a 375, as they are just too close. You could buy a donor 700 mag of some sort and have a smith screw on a 416 rem barrel which would be a very real step up in power.

Ive not hunted in Africa so take this with a grain of salt but the most used buffalo gun I've ever heard of was one belonging to Warren Page. With it he slew something like 5 or 600 buffalo. It was built on a LH Remington and last i heard ole left didn't die at the hand of a cow with horns sticking out of its head.

Id use whatever action you like the best and are most comfortable with.

Last edited by Quak; 02/04/19.

GOD Bless America
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Please see the Whitworth Mauser with Timney trigger, Gentry safety, Talley rings and bases and custom bastogne walnut by Dominic Pisano. If you are interested would sell for $2200 plus shipping. I posted the pics in the image gallery but did not see how to get them here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I would think a 338WM would work just fine"
Quak: Col. Jeff Cooper's first buff hunt was with a 338 WM. He was a good shot. It did not go well. That is why he built Baby, a 450 G&A. When I asked him if a better bullet would have resulted in a better outcome he laughed at me. Since you have:" not hunted in Africa" I am going to stick with my 416 Ruger I have used for 4 buff. Since African cape buffalo cost about $14,000 now and 416 Ruger rifles are $700 (if you shop around) I leave my 338 WM home.

Last edited by bobmn; 02/07/19.
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the input....lots of great ideas for sure from lot's of credible hunters that have actual "been there knowledge." There are lots of great deals out there right now for used rifles but there is something to be said for a new rifle and that is the direction I am going.

Found a good deal here and this is what I bought: https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-m77r-hawkeyer-375ruger-ftw-hunter-camo.html#.XEn5xVVKivE

Reposting to let you all know that I'm all set now. Thanks for all the great commentary. I can never get enough about African hunting!

Next priority is finding a quality stock to replace the factory one.

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s a heck of a deal.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Matetsi
Hi guys, first day on the forum, and I’m not usually given to making profound statements nor observations, however I see there is a lot of comment about what gun to shoot a Buffalo with..........well after being a full licensed full time Professional Hunter in Africa for 29 years. I am licensed in Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa(only Limpopo and Mpumalanga) and recently adding Cameroon to my portfolio, I have hunted numerous elephant in Botswana too.
I can honestly tell you it has more to do with which gun do you like to shoot? .375HH is the accepted legal minimum in most countries and it is a jolly fine caliber, hence the reason it’s been around so damned long. Now you have the minimum caliber, you have to ask yourself what style of rifle do you enjoy shooting.
Believe me, contrary to all the charging buffalo footage you may have watched on the outdoor channel, or read in the latest experts article on hunting Africa’s Dangerous Game, it happens quite infrequently.
It’s also unlikely you will need to do any barrel rolls or load your gun upside down, nor shoot from the hip falling backwards(watch out for your PH please!)
Most off the shelf factory rifles, if you keep them clean, will not let you down. Bear in mind that most of our game you’ll be shooting at 100 meters or less. No need for fancy barrels with unreal grouping.
Most hunter arriving in camp can’t manage the much acclaimed 1”group. Most PH’s just want to see you can get it in a group to start with, and take it from there. If your first bullet is in the bull, that’s it, let’s go hunting. We really don’t want to mess with team confidence and take a second shot!
In all those years of guiding hunters on over 200 buffalo, and around 100 elephant maybe more, my worst rifle and ammunition issues on safari came from reloads and rebuilds, where someone with the tools thought they new more than the manufacturer. Please excuse me if you fall into that category, but it’s the truth. People trying to get a little extra bang from a bullet, a little tighter group from a bullet and barrel/action, all the while the buffalo doesn’t know this, nor does he care. One thing is though, if you make him angry you better make sure you shoot straighter the second time. I can’t say how many times I’ve heard how that buffalo just wouldn’t die........shot 6 times and still running.....that’s cause none are seriously fatal vital organ shots. He will probably die, just not now. I’ve seen plenty of well executed shots that drop the buff in his tracks, and it’s not because of the brilliance of the gun but more the nerve of the hunter and his ability to shoot his favorite gun.
Shoot the gun you love to shoot, .375HH and above for your Buffalo, elephant, dikdik, sable, impala, bongo, eland..............everything. You only need one gun.

I’ve carried a .458wm from Winchester’s Super Grade shelf. A model 70 (post’64), no controlled feed, no claw extraction. 2 down and one in the barrel. It was given to me in 1993 by a well known Retired PH and one of the original Safari Outfitters in Zimbabwe. This rifle is an extension of my arm. There is no cherckering left, just a shadow where it used to be, the Blueing is all but gone where it is exposed to the elements and my sweaty hands. The magazine inside front looks a little like the texture of a golf ball, from the rounds in the magazine striking the front with the recoil all these years, I only use monolithic 465gr ammunition.....cause I only shoot your game when we really have to.......close.
So let me conclude with saying, by the Grace of the good Lord, no one has been hurt in anyway on my watch. I have never had a misfire, I have never had a problem loading, unloading, nor any safety issues. SHOOT WHAT YOU KNOW & KNOW WHAT YOU SHOOT.

Thanks for this. I'd LOVE to see pictures of that rifle if you don't mind.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 02/07/19.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
CRoy: What country are you hunting? The reason I ask is while the 375 and 416 Rugers are great cartridges, ammo availability is less than desirable on the Dark Continent. Despite Hornady's PR department comments about " the great inroads" they are making, I know of only one shop in South Africa that carries factory ammo. Perhaps your PH can line up a box in case your ammo does not make it. Happened to me my first trip to Zim.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In case your scope [bleep] the bed get an NECG receiver sight that is made for the Ruger integrel bases. You will need a taller front sight. Because the Ruger receiver is an investment casting it is rougher than a cob. Use 400 grit cloth and polish the top edges of the magazine lips, magazine follower, feed ramp and receiver feed rails. Don't remove too much metal or the follower will pop out. Take small screw driver and depress the ejector. Wrap some polishing cloth around a small needle file and polish the slot the ejector rides in. Replace the chintzy factory magazine spring with a stronger spring. Practice bolt flicks a whole bunch with dummy cartridges with the primer pocket filled in with silicone. Not only will this smooth up the action but it will also show if you are short stroking the bolt. Make a set of shooting sticks. Plans are on the Fire. Practice rapidly getting on the stciks as well as shooting off them at the range. Montana Bullet Company makes gas checked lead bullets for cheap practice rounds. Chore Boy copper pot scrubber strands wrapped around a bore brush removes any lead accumulation.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like factory the factory Hogue rubber overmolded stock because it is so quiet in the jesse. Twigs don't brush against a hollow synthetic stock that acts like a sound chamber. The stickiness of the rubber disappears after the first drive out of camp due to all the dust.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hi guys, first day on the forum, and I’m not usually given to making profound statements nor observations,

Dang, this guy's first post and it's one of the best, most informative ones I've read in my 15+ years here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed. Hope he posts more on where he hunts.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by bobmn
"I would think a 338WM would work just fine"
Quak: Col. Jeff Cooper's first buff hunt was with a 338 WM. He was a good shot. It did not go well. That is why he built Baby, a 450 G&A. When I asked him if a better bullet would have resulted in a better outcome he laughed at me. Since you have:" not hunted in Africa" I am going to stick with my 416 Ruger I have used for 4 buff. Since African cape buffalo cost about $14,000 now and 416 Ruger rifles are $700 (if you shop around) I leave my 338 WM home.

Col. Coopers experience aside I was referring to a couple hunting pals that have used it with great success and the stories of John Barsness and Jim Charmichal from Outdoor Life who had used it to great effect. Regardless, I wasn't touting it as the perfect cow killer but simply saying the 375 is not a big step up in power so id go to a .40 if I wanted more than the .338.

Ive read of some others who have used it with satisfaction but i can't recall at the moment. Perhaps it was Boddington? If i was headed to the dark continent in search of a buffalo, id likely pack a 416 Rem.

As always YMMV.

Last edited by Quak; 02/08/19.

GOD Bless America
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Follow up on the re-stocking?

If you haven't replaced it yet I would consider turning it over to a good gun smith for a complete re-working. You could smooth it up by shooting it a lot but that could take awhile. A good gun smith can take a good action and really turn it into a piece of perfection. It would be well worth it if the wait time is not too long.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome!

Great post. Share more!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Looking at a Kimber Talkeetna. What 375 you guys using for buffalo?

Whitworth...great gun at a still reasonable price...

[Linked Image]

Great looking bull! and the Cape buffalo is nice, too!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cape bufflao have a saying about Ingwe:

"He looks at you like you owe him money".

smile smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.