Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
February 8th thru 18th. Will be the dates for Our 11th Central Oregon Cougar Camp. All it takes is desire and a Cougar Tag. 3/4 Mile West of Cabin Lake USFS guard station. about 10 miles North of the Town of Fort Rock or Fort Rock State park. Bring your camp and food. My PM box works. This camp is about Killing Cougars No one profits $ Keep the old women (cougar) jokes to a minimum, We already heard them all.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds cool,how is your success?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PM sent.

LOL
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by baltz526
February 8th thru 18th. Will be the dates for Our 11th Central Oregon Cougar Camp. All it takes is desire and a Cougar Tag. 3/4 Mile West of Cabin Lake USFS guard station. about 10 miles North of the Town of Fort Rock or Fort Rock State park. Bring your camp and food. My PM box works. This camp is about Killing Cougars No one profits $ Keep the old women (cougar) jokes to a minimum, We already heard them all.

Xmas Valley, Or. and Silver Lake, the Lake that Disappeared,,,,,, I ran all that Country pretty Hard, back in the Day, out to Wagon Tire and beyond,,,, High Desert Country, worked a bit for the ZX Ranch as well,,,, Shooting and Trapping Yotes, and yea,,,,, got a few Cats as well,,,,, I still miss that part of the World.
LJ cool

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM Sent..

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Same story as the last ten years. We camp, We have a Campfire, We Kill Coyote and the occasional Cougar. Some concentrate on Coyote, Others Shed hunt, Others Rabbit hunt. Some do all. I hunt Cougar and act as camp host. We camp on the 2435rd which is just north of the Cabin Lake guard station on the USFS 18rd. Or if we get deep snow, We camp 5 miles South of the town of Fort Rock on BLM just off the main County rd to Silver Lake. Which hits 31 at the Silver Lake Cemetery. With the snow we have had so far. The 2435rd camp is most likely.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Access is from the town of Fort Rock. County grades the road to USFS boundary. About 1 mile from camp site. Other USFS roads are normally pretty bad due to snow depths. 18rd which starts in bend on the south end. can be driven some years. Not most years, but its about 38 miles of washboard. USFS roads off 31 that say Cabin Lake, The Hole in ground rd is closed about 4 miles in. The other gets up pretty high so is snow blocked most years. Best route is Highway 31 to Fort Rock/Christmas Lake Rd. 6 miles to fort rock, Then 10 miles North or 5 miles South depending on Snow, at Fort Rock. The most people we have seen in camp at one time is 18. Not a big event. Over the 10 day hunt. a good year has 25 total hunters coming and going. Huge area with lots of prime Winter Range pockets to find Cougar.

Last edited by baltz526; 01/20/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll stop by and stay for a spell. Not sure how long depending on work obligations which are light this time of year.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking this sounds like a hoot. Give me a chance to try out a few of my rifles on targets of opportunity, get out of the wife's hair for a few days, and meet a few of the fellas around these parts. Probably set up my small canvas tent . That's my old stomping ground for ground squirrels, but haven't had much opportunity to get out there much in the last few years. Take a few of my new Critr Gitr calls and make a racket with them....

Bob

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
. I was out there yesterday. Deer where around but I cut no fresh Cougar tracks. I will try it again Thursday from a different starting point.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
6 days and Camp begins.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been getting my ducks in a row.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may have to come late in the week. Just found out my daughter and grandbaby are coming for a visit Thursday for a week. Love to see them, but it throws my scheduled trip into a new schedule. I love being retired.....

Bob

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Later in the week normally means we have a few cats, general area located.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm loaded. Have to trench over a 1000' with the excavator tomorrow so I can't leave just yet. Which camp are we headed to?Fresh snow the last two days here. Excellent tracking snow!

Last edited by Fireball2; 02/05/19.

LOL
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The west of Cabin lake guard station camp. I should be there by Noon Friday. I am using my small camp this year = 10x10 Kodiak tent with a white tarp tent for Wood and stuff. Back has been bothering me, so decided I did not want to mess with the wall tent. There will be a TT in camp Friday also. At least one. I have a 1/2 cord of camp wood loaded to start on my car hauler trailer. And a lot more to use If we burn through it. Camp is 50 minutes from my house So picking up more wood is not a problem. That and other camp members bring some and Chain Saws. I do not post here from camp. I have a flip phone. Cell service might take a 1/2 mile drive from camp, Depending on your provider. It will likely be 1-3G speed with 4G only from one cell company's system.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The guys are really on em right around camp. Here's a photo one of them sent me this morning as I was on my way home.

[Linked Image]

The local barkeep gave me a tip on one at their ranch so we checked it out and ended up a buddy and I chased a pair of cats in about 7" of snow around a mountain and bumped them once but did not get a chance at them. We had an exciting chase. There's a lot of ground in the area and it will kick your ass chasing them when they know you're back there! We saw elk, hundreds of deer including some nice bucks, bobcat, coyotes, hundreds of antelope.

Weather went below zero one night and wind killed a lot of good calling chances. Everyone kept right at it and we all had a chance to warm up around a big campfire each night.

[Linked Image]

Cougars are much hairier than I thought they would be.

[Linked Image]

Several days high winds forecast (40mph+) so some of us packed it in but had a great time. Super nice people one and all. Thanks to baltz for a great effort and super hospitality. It's still going on thru the 18th and the cats are around so I bet the guys will have some great stories in a few days.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope to head up tomorrow but don't have time to pack up and set up camp so we will probably stay at the Best Western in Lapine this trip. Anybody know if the weather has subsided a bit? How are the snow levels? Seems like they have really been getting hammered this week from the reports I've been watching...

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope to head up tomorrow but don't have time to pack up and set up camp so we will probably stay at the Best Western in Lapine this trip. Anybody know if the weather has subsided a bit? How are the snow levels? Seems like they have really been getting hammered this week from the reports I've been watching...

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob I just got a report from one of my buddies out there said it was 36 and calm about three hours ago. He also tracked a cat today. Lodging is available at Christmas Valley motel, about 20 miles from camp. Gas is available at Silver Lake and Christmas Valley, camp is just north of Fort Rock.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.