Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1
Something similar happened to me elk hunting fall of '18 in that I shot a bull that flopped "dead" at the impact. 350yds shooting kneeling off of a tall bipod. I've killed 8 elk with this rifle and a truckload of deer. Been shooting the same 200gn TSX load through it since '04. I watched for probably 15-20sec turned around grabbed my pack cleared the rifle's chamber and prepared to go get to work on my "dead" elk. When I turned back around, the bull was back on his feet so I quickly peel out of the pack, chamber another round, but the bull lays right back down as the other 2 bulls with him leave, it's obvious he's not going to (can't) follow. While he's down I can see his head/neck and nothing else. I decide that getting closer is a better option than shooting from my present position. I got into a shallow depression, got up to ~125yds and as I was settling in on the bipods for a precise killing shot he managed to effort back to his feet and begins to stumble away. I hit him again through the chest, cycle the bolt, manage to trip the floor plate (which I've never ever done unintentionally on any rifle), find a loaded round at my feet, chamber it, hit him a 3rd time quartering hard away now @ 150yds or so and he was down for good.

Upon breakdown it was pretty obvious the bullet pushed further than I'd expected and got him in the diaphragm/liver. No guts, but, I didn't miss them by much. In my case, the bull was out in the open and there was really no way for him to go that wouldn't take him either relatively close to me or run him past either my hunting partner or another party of hunters that were relatively close.

Alls well that ends well but there was a 5-7min stretch of uncertainty.

Sounds to me like you made all the right decisions, and had a positive outcome. Well done.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In this instance, no, it was not an ethical shot because it exceeded his abilities and did not result in a humane kill.

There are many on here that have the skill set required to make that shot resulting in a clean kill.

It would not have been an ethical shot me personally, as I do not know that I could make that shot with 100% confidence.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CRS
It would not have been an ethical shot me personally, as I do not know that I could make that shot with 100% confidence.

It's interesting how different hunters define "ethical" when it comes to shot choice. Some define it by distance, others define it by whether you can make the shot, as you defined it above. I like your definition but I don't personally agree with the "100% confidence" level because as a wise man once said, if you hunt enough you'll miss or make a bad shot. So my standard is closer to 90%. That's not to say I'd take a shot I had any doubts about, just acknowledging that even when I'm "sure" I can make the shot there's still a small chance that I won't.

And for those who equate "ethical" with up close, here's something to think about. The hunters who have to get the closest are traditional bowhunters. And if you read the Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook by TJ Conrad, a respected traditional archer and really good with a traditional bow, he pegs that confidence level at 80%. Because shooting accurately with a trad bow is damn hard.

In other words the guy who wrote the book on "getting close" says 80% confidence that you can make the shot is OK. So who's more "ethical," the guy who has to get within 20 yards and is willing to accept 80%, or the guy who can kill from 500 with 90% confidence?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
These guys are funny. I put a comment on their you tube area, simliar to what I posted here, words to the effect of "that was pathetic, especially coming form guys that consider themselves the best..." There were some other simalr comments. All have been removed. I wonder how many negative coments that got that we will never see?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ethical shot? Yes. Unethical early celebration. Follow up shot, ugly but effective. A lot of ruined meat because he’s a dumbass. Like everyone else, keep shooting until it’s over

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the moral principles that we as ethical hunters believe in, is a clean humane kill. This was not what most would consider a clean humane kill.

I stand by my 100% confidence level statement, but even at that, rodeo's can and do happen. From 5 to 1200 yards. Traditional archery to LR systems.

I stated personally, that for me to take that shot would be unethical and irresponsible. I am not proficient, or qualified to take that shot. I know this because I have shot steel from 650-900 yards with my hunting rifles.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He probably had to shoot it a third time after that ass shot.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by rost495
stupid to take the shot when he did. Anyone worth a flip could tell that deer knew the gig was up and was moving on out. Just plain ignorant shooter IMHO.

Edited to add, I watched it again. Deer was slightly moving forward at shot. All shooter had to do was wait and he'd stop again. Boom.

As an aside, I've seen this scenario a few times now with shots below the spine and in the meat. I was lectured on here a while back that there is no location below the spine that isn't fatal. Those folks care to explain this video then that obviously didn't take his spine out?

Yes, I agree he probably would have stopped again. OTOH once they are edgy like that it generally takes some amount of time or even regroup and find them once they've moved some and settled again, rather than risk an alert deer taking a step. Though time of flight is not long, I just wouldn't risk it.

IMHO, the body language on that deer is totally wrong to pull the trigger. Even if he was 200 yards away it wouldn't have worked for me. But then most folks say I"m a bit to picky...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The shooter was so fond of himself and of his shot that he would not dare keeping his eyes on the deer.

The animal's reaction was the typical reaction of a spine shot, and experience tells you never lose sight of a spined animal until it stops kicking.

But he would not even listen to his buddy warning him that the deer had stood up.

For me this gentleman is the stereotype of the modern internet-learned shooter who sees more interest in taking a long shot than in the hunting in itself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jud was on the money. The shooter was hunting for the camera.

Steelhead, SKane, GregW, Beav, Smokepole, GRF, Recurve, 16Bore... I’m in complete agreement.

There’s no shortage of clowns pining to be the next superstar hunter. Who relates to these “industry” fueled productions, outside the “industry” itself, is anyone’s guess.

These are the last people I’d want to hunt with. You gotta ask yourself...

The medium, i.e. film, isn’t the problem, it’s the story teller’s dimness of vision that’s too blame. That they pretend this shït is anything but a protracted commercial is laughable. I wonder when they’ll figure out we’re no longer playing along.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rule #1 Stay on the gun, reload. Rio7

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by chamois

For me this gentleman is the stereotype of the modern internet-learned shooter who sees more interest in taking a long shot than in the hunting in itself.

That may be true but I think what he's really interested in is shooting videos and setting himself up to be the next Steve Rinella.

He probably should have taken up golf instead, if this video is any indication he has a better chance at becoming the next Tiger Woods.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you go to 23:35 it shows fairly well where the first shot hit. Definitely very high through the spinous processes. As others have stated, a hit near the spinal cord can deliver enough shock to stun the animal, dropping it to the ground temporarily.

As far as the cause of the high hit, I wonder if they got an accurate range from their rangefinder. It might have ranged the ground behind the deer instead of the deer itself, giving a yardage reading that was too long.

The dancing around after the shot was definitely a douchebag move. How about stay on the gun to make sure of the kill, then film the dancing later if you feel like you need it for the video.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first shot was too far for me as I only practice to 600 and won't push the knobs further than tested at the range. Even 600 would have to be perfect conditions for me to try it. Ethical? I don't know the shooter's level of competence and so can't say.

What I can say is we follow one rule - shoot them until they are down - and stay that way. Had the shooter done that there was plenty of time for a follow-up. They are lucky to have recovered it.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/17/19. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Ethical? I will say the hunter who shot lacks experience. You always stay on the gun until you are certain as best as you possibly can determine your animal is down and not getting back up. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson. 😎

Amen.

Nicely-matching, complete camo ensemble. Check.
All the other goodies the cool kids are wearing/using. Check.
Speaking ballistics language. Check.
Prepared mind. Fail.

I'm not sure what the guy's experience level is but if he didn't already know better, yes sir, he learned a valuable lesson lesson that day - and with an audience. smile

We can only hope he learned a lesson. No gaurantee.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics are questionable.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,218
Posts18,466,391
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.