Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not sure how it wasn't other than the dude took forever shooting him initially on flat ground and missed his target by 15" or so. Classic target acquisition/shooting issues most don't practice for on top of bad shot or not knowing dope.

Glad he found the buck and shot him again but the ham shot sucked but it was all he had. He should have kept shooting at the buck as it was half down after the chase.

Rodeos happen but it just seems like the shooter sucked...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ethical? I will say the hunter who shot lacks experience. You always stay on the gun until you are certain as best as you possibly can determine your animal is down and not getting back up. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am not going comment on the ethics of the first shot, I don't know the dude or what he is capable of. What I will comment on is the the actions after the shot.

Dude should have reloaded and been ready for a follow up shot, That deer gave him lots of time for a follow up shot or two if he had not stood up and been BSing with his buddy. That behaviour I have an issue with. He could have ended it very quickly with minimal suffering for the deer if he was paying attention and not caught up in the glories of his 7 mag and 180 grain whatever bullet and the great shot that he made.

If my old man caught me acting like that he would have whupped my ass.

I am a big fan of and have taught or tried to teach to everyone I have helped to learn to hunt to reload as soon as reasonably possible and get the cross hairs back on the animal or where it fell out of sight or to move where you can get the cross hairs on the animal and be ready for a follow up shot for at least a couple of minutes.

The first words out of the mouth of the 4 African PHs I have hunted with after a good shot on an animal are "reload", meaning be ready for a follow up shot.

I am a big believer no matter how good I think the first shot was if any game animal gives me a second shot I will take it. I have seen several dead animals get up and move out. Most recently a buddy of mine shot a mule deer, I was watching the deer through binos and called the shot high and little far back. I encouraged him to "get up there and kill that deer", his response "no it's dead" I ask him to humour me and either shoot again it or stick a knife in the ribs to make sure its dead.

During the conversation the gets up and runs off uphill, 3 more shots and the deer is now dead. It could have been finished much sooner.

Just my thoughts.

Could have summed it all up by saying "what Beaver 10 and Greg W said" guess I'm just long winded today.

All the best GRF

Last edited by GRF; 01/19/19. Reason: commenting on posts made while I was typing
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I see a dude who made a poor shot on an unwounded animal at a rather long distance.

Everyone has different skill sets and different ethics but for me personally, I wont shoot at unwounded game past 450 yards and most shooters should shave 100 or 150 yards off that unless they want to see some goat [bleep].

I'm just glad he was able to polish it off.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Ethical? I will say the hunter who shot lacks experience. You always stay on the gun until you are certain as best as you possibly can determine your animal is down and not getting back up. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson. 😎

Amen.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The only critters that ever worry me are those that drop at the shot. Zero excuse to not been ready to throw another shot into the deer, and taking that shot.

He's an idiot in my book.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Zero excuse to not been ready to throw another shot into the deer, and taking that shot.

Big +1

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Zero excuse to not been ready to throw another shot into the deer, and taking that shot.

Big +1

+ another 1

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
That's just how the cool kids do chit these days.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
First that buck was not especially big and with patience he could have gotten closer or found another buck. Second no matter what bullet your shooting it might not perform as good as it could if it had a higher impact velocity. I'll bet he tries to get closer next time.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
He clipped it high. Should have assumed a stunner hit and been ready to pop him again.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/20/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
He clipped it high. Should have assumed a stunner hit and been ready to pop him again.

Yup. No idea,why he didn't shoot it again. Plenty of time. Once it stood back up, it looked like it was gonna go. Shoot the darn thing again!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by hookeye

Yup. No idea,why he didn't shoot it again. Plenty of time. Once it stood back up, it looked like it was gonna go. Shoot the darn thing again!

you cant have a one shot kill …..if you shoot them twice......bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Amen.

Nicely-matching, complete camo ensemble. Check.
All the other goodies the cool kids are wearing/using. Check.
Speaking ballistics language. Check.
Prepared mind. Fail.

I'm not sure what the guy's experience level is but if he didn't already know better, yes sir, he learned a valuable lesson lesson that day - and with an audience. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
"smoked him, smoked him smoked him" he was smokin somethin but it wasn't that deer. also people who disrespect an animal by saying that or dancin a jig after killing are D-bags in my book. And he didn't listen to the guy saying the deer was up (like 5 times). shooter was too busy thinking himself a hero. I would have been embarrassed by that performance and never publicized it at all.

Deer was standing still so I can't criticize someone with the skills to make a shot at that distance. looks like this guy didn't have the skill.

as mentioned what is unethical is pretending to be a TV star instead of putting a second round in the deer - deer was moving or his head was up the whole time - as mentioned shooter should have shot again.

hope the anti-hunters don't get a hold of this. also deer have hair - not fur

Last edited by Recurve1; 01/20/19.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Epic fail. I try to stay away from Kryptec clothed dudes.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank the internet for that one. Stupid phuqqers....

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Based on his comments, I'm not sure he really learned anything.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Recurve1
"smoked him, smoked him smoked him" he was smokin somethin but it wasn't that deer. also people who disrespect an animal by saying that or dancin a jig after killing are D-bags in my book. And he didn't listen to the guy saying the deer was up (like 5 times). shooter was too busy thinking himself a hero. I would have been embarrassed by that performance and never publicized it at all.

Deer was standing still so I can't criticize someone with the skills to make a shot at that distance. looks like this guy didn't have the skill.

as mentioned what is unethical is pretending to be a TV star instead of putting a second round in the deer - deer was moving or his head was up the whole time - as mentioned shooter should have shot again.

hope the anti-hunters don't get a hold of this. also deer have hair - not fur

+1, the comments at the end sounded like he was doing a poor imitation of Steve Rinella but he failed on a few different counts and all the cool music and blather about "feeding the family with organic meat" can't salvage the video from his ineptitude. As far as "ethical" goes, the baseline is taking only the shots you know you can make. I know that things can happen and the best can miss shots but he missed badly with plenty of time to set up so it looks like he didn't have the capability to make the shot. If he's capable and he just missed he should have the common sense to sh**-can that video, not broadcast it.

It was obvious in the video that he clipped the animal high, there wasn't much blood, and the animal bounded off as if it wasn't injured badly. Yet he made it sound like he made a good hit, and said he hoped it wouldn't be a long tracking job. Was that BS, hard to tell?

The most disappointing thing to me was when he got to the animal he went straight to caressing the horns and talking about the G1's or whatever. Kind of astounding that he didn't go right to where the first shot hit to look at the wound and figure out what went wrong. And then they basically ignored that in the rest of the video.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, ATC, 12 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.