Hop To
Page 16 of 46 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 45 46
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by robertham1
I’m actually shocked how few people participated in this “challange”. With a forum consisting of thousands and thousands of like minded hunters/shooters who are passionate enough about guns to regularly log on and read/post, I’d have bet there would have more participants. There are some hunters who’s load development is done at 2 moa, but there’s a lot of folks here who not only have the gear, but have the skill to shoot tiny groups consistantly.

I never seem to have time to shoot 20 shots from one rifle at a sitting. I went to check the zero on my .223 before heading south of the border yesterday and put the first 5 into less than a 1/4" and... that's all I had with me! I had another load but I didn't think it would shoot as good and it didn't.

One of these days I am going to have to make time and shoot a couple of these 10 shot groups before it gets hot again.

223 AR? South of the border? I even thought military rounds were not acceptable south of the border? Just curious.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great thread. I'm posting results of my new rifles first 10 shot groups to establish a base line for the rifle.

Rifle: Tikka T3x Superlite 6.5 creedmoor
[Linked Image]

Range. Sorry, not from today:
[Linked Image]

Target shot:
[Linked Image]

Calipers laying next to one group:
[Linked Image]

The funny thing is, some guys may think these accurate as hell Tikka's are for everyone. Here's how my buddy shot the Tikka today:
[Linked Image]

Here's how he shot my Savage 12fv 6.5 creedmoor:
[Linked Image]

Sorry I don't have a pic of my rifle on the bench, you guys have seen the set-up a 100 times, same ol stuff, but with a different rifle. I got to bs'n with my bud and forgot all about taking pics of the rifle on the bench. However, All in all, I am very stoked to start working with this Tikka. It's like every rifle, load development will tighten those groups up a lot. As for this "challenge", for me, it's more about how accurate I am shooting and with what rifles. I figured since I've asked quite a few members here to post up Tikka accuracy results in this thread and none of them did it, I had to pull out the wallet and buy one for myself. I'm actually very happy with this rifle. It has an exceptional build quality, the new rings and bases and scope are working wonderfully. The rifle has tons of potential. We'll see if I can get this one to a true "1 moa all day long" rifle.. I think it's possible... Post your results guys. As I'm proving right now, it's not about being the best or who shoots the best. Its about whether you have a 1 moa all day long rifle.. By the way, it was a windy mother today. My target stand was blown over twice and it takes a lot to blow that heavy bastid over. Groups would have possibly been better, had the wind not been blowing a 100 mph... blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Troy sucks... LOL light rifles aren't for everyone... I said it before a light rifle will magnify all your shooting problems

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha. Yes, my buddy Troy hates heavier recoiling rifles. He tried a 338wm, but couldn't handle that either. Eventually sold that one....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BSA what was the load you were shooting?

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

41.5 gr H4350
140gr ELDM
CCI 200
2.820" OAL
Starline brass

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I was picking through my six five Swede Lap-Wah box, there may be 20 loaded rounds left for this test. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
I was picking through my six five Swede Lap-Wah box, there may be 20 loaded rounds left for this test. cool

cool

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This test has given me a new respect for those that can put the holes close together for so many shots. I have to do some load work up for a hunt.
Pulled out the trusty 1970's push feed Win 70 in 30-06. It does not like 150's... but I don't like the way 180's hit my shoulder.
Early on in the load work I began to use the two side by side target layout. Shot one bullet in a side then one in the other so conditions did not change. For sure it showed elevation changes due to powder drop changes. But It also showed just how good a shooter is who can pile 20 down range and keep them all looking good.
My targets look more like Troys than BSA's..... but. Troy, don't feel so bad.
Worked this same set up out to 200yds with a bigger diamond side by side and things remained about the same. Its zeroed now and GTG from 12 yds out to 200.
But I don't expect to see groups like BSA"s from it any time soon.
Tip of the cap to those that own rifles that will do it, and those that can.

Last edited by Bob_B257; 01/14/19.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
This test has given me a new respect for those that can put the holes close together for so many shots. I have to do some load work up for a hunt.
Pulled out the trusty 1970's push feed Win 70 in 30-06. It does not like 150's... but I don't like the way 180's hit my shoulder.
Early on in the load work I began to use the two side by side target layout. Shot one bullet in a side then one in the other so conditions did not change. For sure it showed elevation changes due to powder drop changes. But It also showed just how good a shooter is who can pile 20 down range and keep them all looking good.
My targets look more like Troys than BSA's..... but. Troy, don't feel so bad.
Worked this same set up out to 200yds with a bigger diamond side by side and things remained about the same. Its zeroed now and GTG from 12 yds out to 200.
But I don't expect to see groups like BSA"s from it any time soon.
Tip of the cap to those that own rifles that will do it, and those that can.

Bob, shooting this challenge is an eye opener for a lot of us here. Its great practice and excellent for finding your rifles true zero and aiding in developing a good load. As for my buddy Troy, i give him an a for effort. Hes always gotten his buck, even though he doesnt really like shooting off a bench. He knows his limitations and i respect him for that. Youll never hear him brag about shooting "sub 1/2 moa all day long". Hes a good ol boy and loves hunting.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

41.5 gr H4350
140gr ELDM
CCI 200
2.820" OAL
Starline brass

Man, that sounds like a great load to have shot like that from the Tikka. Wouldn’t have guessed that at all.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

41.5 gr H4350
140gr ELDM
CCI 200
2.820" OAL
Starline brass

Man, that sounds like a great load to have shot like that from the Tikka. Wouldn’t have guessed that at all.

It probably would have been more accurate, but it was pretty windy. The barrel also isnt completely freefloated. Im going to open up the barrel channel all the way to the front of the receiver. We'll see what difference that makes, if any. Like i said, its a great baseline. I expect accuracy to improve with just a little tinkering and load development. These tikkas are good shooters out of the box, but theres always room for improvement. Its not like my BSA model E, where i glass bedded, added a timney and refinished even before the first shot was fired (by me). That rifle turned in some 1/2 moa groups on its first outing last friday. I keep urging you guys to shoot your tikkas in this challenge. Unlike me, this go around, i know you have a fine tuned handload perfectly dialed for your rifle. Post them up. Its easy to do.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I will run them soon. The AR's are shooting decently as well, might have to give them as hot here soon.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell yes. You'll do just fine..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think many people have attempted the challenge but very few post the results. 10 rounds from a lightweight hunting rifle around 1.5 MOA is pretty darn good if you ask me.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I think many people have attempted the challenge but very few post the results. 10 rounds from a lightweight hunting rifle around 1.5 MOA is pretty darn good if you ask me.

I agree wareagle. For the longest time i've tried to dial my light rifles (featherweight or lighter) in to where its sub moa for 3 shots, moa for 5 and 1.5 moa for 10 shots. Ive tried to live by those standards as a good measure of a rifles accuracy.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

41.5 gr H4350
140gr ELDM
CCI 200
2.820" OAL
Starline brass

It probably would have been more accurate, but it was pretty windy. The barrel also isnt completely freefloated. Im going to open up the barrel channel all the way to the front of the receiver. We'll see what difference that makes, if any. Like i said, its a great baseline. I expect accuracy to improve with just a little tinkering and load development. These tikkas are good shooters out of the box, but theres always room for improvement. Its not like my BSA model E, where i glass bedded, added a timney and refinished even before the first shot was fired (by me). That rifle turned in some 1/2 moa groups on its first outing last friday. I keep urging you guys to shoot your tikkas in this challenge. Unlike me, this go around, i know you have a fine tuned handload perfectly dialed for your rifle. Post them up. Its easy to do.

Yup, that rifle will settle down and shoot better with a little more break in and your float/bed checks. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

41.5 gr H4350
140gr ELDM
CCI 200
2.820" OAL
Starline brass

Hey Scotty. I actually had some loads worked up with big game powder that I really wanted to try the other day. However, with as windy and cold as it was, it would have been a waste. Im anxious to give them a try this weekend, if not tomorrow. Have you tried that powder in your creed?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, has anyone else been out shooting? I've been working on my new Tikka superlite 6.5 creedmoor. Slowly getting her dialed in. Pulled my cheap Zeiss terra and put my Burris 4.5-14X42 on it, glass bed it, and freefloated the barrel. It's encroaching on the ever so vaunted "moa" . Maybe I can get her into the sub moa realm after a bit of load development. Here's a target from today:

[Linked Image]
This is what 4 shots into that target looked like:
[Linked Image]
Then after 5 and 6:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
101.1 yards to the target according to the LRF..
[Linked Image]

Not really an entry, just showing some progress. Even though it's small improvement, I'll take it. It's showing promise.... More to come on this one. wink

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My Superlite 708 has shot some amazing 4-5 shot groups then proceeds to string them badly horizontally too when it gets hot

Page 16 of 46 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.