Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13475982 01/21/19
Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know nothing about bow hunting, and nothing about elk hunting, but I'm curious.

What are the differences between bowhunting deer or elk in terms of tactics, equipment, or anything else?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My experience has been that there is no difference in the hunting techniques, but the difference in altitude and location sometimes means you need to have the ability to stay out over night on the elk hunts.
That is just me.
It has to do with where the elk were. In many other places it would not apply.

Elk are like giant white-Tail deer in how they hide and how they use their nose and eyes. The one huge difference is with elk you don't get a 2nd chance at one. They don't live in a small area and keep coming back. If you push them and get caught, they move, and can go 2-5 miles in their first run from you. And then just "set up house" in the new place. White tails will be back in a day or 2. Elk may come back in a month, or in the following year.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tactics would be totally different, specially compared to back East hunting. I know some guys stand hunt for Elk, but that is the exception not the norm. Everyone I know and myself included Spot and Stalk's Elk. It is a whole lot more fun and exciting than stand hunting. Calling Elk is a lot more successful then calling Deer from my experiences. Note I did not say easier, I said more successful! Other than that I pretty much agree with szihn.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well that's a good point M C H.

I tend to forget that many folks hunt WT deer from a stand, especially in the midwest and back east. That's not done out here on white tails or mule deer, And you'd REALLY have to wait for a looooong time for that to ever work on elk. so when I say it's like hunting giant white tails I meant spot and stalk. Elk just are not that specific in their movements. Might be in places where you have a lot of private ground and no pressure, but out in the wilderness areas where I hunt, finding elk at all can be time consuming and require many miles of foot work.

Thanks for clearing that up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I agree!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Whitetails can be patterned and shot on trails from a tree stand. Elk can be called and duped quite easily when you understand their characteristics and get good with calling. Mule deer don’t pattern, or come to calls, making them a much harder animal to get with a bow.

If you look in the Pope and Young record book, there are about 45,000 Whitetail deer, 7,500 Elk and only 3,000 Mule deer. It is obvious that a Mule deer is the hardest to get with a bow by a large margin...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Whitetails can be patterned and shot on trails from a tree stand. Elk can be called and duped quite easily when you understand their characteristics and get good with calling. Mule deer don’t pattern, or come to calls, making them a much harder animal to get with a bow.

If you look in the Pope and Young record book, there are about 45,000 Whitetail deer, 7,500 Elk and only 3,000 Mule deer. It is obvious that a Mule deer is the hardest to get with a bow by a large margin...

Agree 100%

Youper Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So elk don't need a closer range or heavier bow than deer do? Any shot angles you would take on a deer but not an elk?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don`t be fooled the whitetail deer is the smartest deer to bowhunt,elk would be number 2 in smartness elk act like whitetail deer and mostly stay in herds which makes it sometimes even harder. number 3 mule deer maybe in smartness. try to hunt whitetails from the ground almost impossible. mule deer are a great animal to bowhunt from the ground if you have learned to bowhunt whitetails you will enjoy a mule deer hunt. just finding elk can be hard, elk move fast and far quickly. i have bowhunted and shot target archery for now over 55 some years in Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, both Dakotas,Colorado,Wyoming,Montana, Canada ,and don`t ever underestimate the big Whitetail Buck he is the luckiest and smartest of all game animals and the hardest to bowhunt. at my age of 65 i have taken my share of trophy animals,i do not believe in record books or putting them in the so called trophy books ,its a personal thing with me and the animals i have ate and harvested for the family . i only ever say meats in the freezer and horns on the wall my son feels the same way. >>> Some of the best bowhunters in the world none of us will never know who they are ,they feel the same way as i do, its a very private humble experience and a respect thing for the animals we have taken. good luck hunting , be safe and always shoot to kill,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Youper
So elk don't need a closer range or heavier bow than deer do? Any shot angles you would take on a deer but not an elk?

NO! I have seen Elk killed with 45lb draw bows. Any reasonable range you can accurately shoot at will kill an Elk. I suggest a quartering to quartering away shots. Elk have big vitals but I don't believe you should handicap yourself by shots that really shrink them.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pete53
Don`t be fooled the whitetail deer is the smartest deer to bowhunt,elk would be number 2 in smartness elk act like whitetail deer and mostly stay in herds which makes it sometimes even harder. number 3 mule deer maybe in smartness. try to hunt whitetails from the ground almost impossible. mule deer are a great animal to bowhunt from the ground if you have learned to bowhunt whitetails you will enjoy a mule deer hunt. just finding elk can be hard, elk move fast and far quickly. i have bowhunted and shot target archery for now over 55 some years in Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, both Dakotas,Colorado,Wyoming,Montana, Canada ,and don`t ever underestimate the big Whitetail Buck he is the luckiest and smartest of all game animals and the hardest to bowhunt. at my age of 65 i have taken my share of trophy animals,i do not believe in record books or putting them in the so called trophy books ,its a personal thing with me and the animals i have ate and harvested for the family . i only ever say meats in the freezer and horns on the wall my son feels the same way. >>> Some of the best bowhunters in the world none of us will never know who they are ,they feel the same way as i do, its a very private humble experience and a respect thing for the animals we have taken. good luck hunting , be safe and always shoot to kill,Pete53

I disagree and I have hunted whitetail numerous times from the ground. My father hates hieghts and has only ever hunted from the ground. No problems filling the freezer. Most all my friends here in Montana spot and stalk Whitetail. Whitetail are creatures of habit, Know their habit and you will kill whitetail. Elk and Mule Deer are not so much creatures of habit. As Shrapnel has said Elk and Mule Deer will more out of a zip code in a second, some could even more out of an area code.

Sorry mis quoted Shrapnel. It was szihn

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/22/19.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
i have ate and harvested for the family . i only ever say meats in the freezer and horns on the wall my son feels the same way. >>> Some of the best bowhunters in the world none of us will never know who they are ,they feel the same way as i do, its a very private humble experience and a respect thing for the animals we have taken.

That says it all. Pete you may not only be wrong about hunting, your English sucks too!

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I think most bow hunters have had a deer "jump string" that is to drop at the sound of the bow and have the arrow pass over the deer.
(At the speed of sound a deer past about 22 yards can react to the sound and move before the arrow arrives... causing a miss or worse a poor hit.)
I am new to elk bow hunting, but, do not know of elk reacting to the sound in time to spoil the shot.
I deer hunt with a one pin sight...zeroed at 22 yards and just do not put myself in a position to shoot beyond that, I feel more confident and practice regularly on elk targets to 50 yards.
Experienced elk bowhunters please chime in!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Mule deer don’t pattern, or come to calls, making them a much harder animal to get with a bow.

I have called in mule deer with the Primos fawn bleat call and patterned deer moving into ag fields.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HitnRun
i have ate and harvested for the family . i only ever say meats in the freezer and horns on the wall my son feels the same way. >>> Some of the best bowhunters in the world none of us will never know who they are ,they feel the same way as i do, its a very private humble experience and a respect thing for the animals we have taken.

That says it all. Pete you may not only be wrong about hunting, your English sucks too!

hitnrun heres my entire quote:
.> its a personal thing with me and the animals i have ate and harvested for the family . i only ever say meats in the freezer and horns on the wall ,my son feels the same way. >>> Some of the best bowhunters in the world none of us will never know who they are ,they feel the same way as i do, its a very private humble experience and a respect thing for the animals we have taken. good luck hunting , be safe and always shoot to kill,Pete53
>>>>> next time maybe be a little smarter read and use the whole quote. why be so negative with what people post ? does it make you feel bigger ?

sharpnel: > yes mule deer do pattern and do come to calls but maybe not to your pickup ??

Last edited by pete53; 01/22/19.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HitnRun

hitnrun heres my entire quote:
.> its a personal thing with me and the animals i have ate and harvested for the family . i only ever say meats in the freezer and horns on the wall ,my son feels the same way. >>> Some of the best bowhunters in the world none of us will never know who they are ,they feel the same way as i do, its a very private humble experience and a respect thing for the animals we have taken. good luck hunting , be safe and always shoot to kill,Pete53
>>>>> next time maybe be a little smarter read and use the whole quote. why be so negative with what people post ? does it make you feel bigger ?

sharpnel: > yes mule deer do pattern and do come to calls but maybe not to your pickup ??

"the animals i have ate and harvested for the family." Good Lord, do you live in a cave?

"i only ever say meats in the freezer and horns on the wall ,my son feels the same way>>>" You don't see anything wrong with this either, were your parents cousins?

"Some of the best bowhunters in the world none of us will never know who they are ,they feel the same way as i do" Another clue your mom dropped you out of the family tree. The only thing long and hard on you was Kindergarten.

Reading your entire post doesn't correct your butchering of the English language. Of course, you can't see how stupid you look because your writing doesn't make you stupid, being stupid is what makes you stupid.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well here's my 2 cents. I've killed 7 bulls with a bow. A couple by calling, a couple spot and stalk, a couple running to get ahead of them and ambushing, and last year's sitting on a waterhole.

To do any of them successfully you will need to be in the best shape of your life, be willing to go hard day after day and deal with defeat. When you look at success rates in the F&G sites remember that of the 15%-20% success, most of those guys are the ones that kill elk every year. A newbie's chance is more like 5%.

Calling on public land will most likely end up with a hunter or two moving in on you. It is nearly impossible to get away from people on public land here in Idaho without a pack string, so you will have to come up with a twist. Last year I hauled a pop up blind to the top of a mountain and sat on a waterhole. It worked, not as exciting as calling but I will be sitting that same water hole this season using the same method.

I think you would save yourself a lot of time and headaches if you could find someone to mentor you - or if you can get on private land where they are not so pressured.

It's fun, I love it - and live for it each fall, but by no means is public land elk hunting easy. Good luck to you.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience elk are every bit as habitual as whitetails and in certain circumstances they can be patterned as well, just on a larger scale.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Youper

The first thing to learn about elk hunt absolutes - there are very few, and every one has an exception somewhere...

Every state is different in terrain - public/private, the animal habits, the hunting pressure, and the available seasons - what works well for me in Idaho may be 180 out for Colorado or New Mexico.

IMHE - No...a 400 grain arrow and broadhead (sharp) will pass through an elk, BUT the bones are bigger and heavier if you are off of the mark.

You may get away with a bone shot on a deer, probably not with an elk. I know of two elk lost with a shot that hit the shoulder blade of the elk and did not penetrate enough for a clean kill.

Point being - you must know your range limitations, and practice shooting out of breath, on one knee, both knees, and after holding your draw...all likely to happen on an elk hunt.

Elk hunting is about the scale of the hunt - area you need to consider is generally much larger than deer, the elk will usually cover more ground in day and require you to cover more ground to keep up.

Yes, they can be patterned, but usually not by a hunter coming into the area a day or two early - see the mentor comment above, or you need to plan on hunting the same area for a few seasons and learn the terrain.

Pressure - get away from the roads where you are going to hunt...simple rule, go where people aren't - but expect to work and travel a bit to get there.

As noted with bugling/cow calling - expect other hunters to come in to you as well,. especially if you haven't used the rule above.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/23/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Uncas
I think most bow hunters have had a deer "jump string" that is to drop at the sound of the bow and have the arrow pass over the deer.
(At the speed of sound a deer past about 22 yards can react to the sound and move before the arrow arrives... causing a miss or worse a poor hit.)
I am new to elk bow hunting, but, do not know of elk reacting to the sound in time to spoil the shot.
I deer hunt with a one pin sight...zeroed at 22 yards and just do not put myself in a position to shoot beyond that, I feel more confident and practice regularly on elk targets to 50 yards.
Experienced elk bowhunters please chime in!

Elk targets are usually quartering flat targets, Rarely if ever will you see that in the wild. I am not knocking shooting the target. But what I am saying is know the elks anatomy! Understand where his shoulder is at the position he is standing. It changes it is not a stationary fixed location. Another pointer I will give that I see some very good archers make a mistake on is their own position. If you are shooting down hill, Do Not lower your bow hand. Bend at the waist. Your arm should always be straight with your shoulders. If you are shooting up hill, the same thing applies bend at the waist. Pay attention to your elevation to the animal, it might be a very small incline or decline bend at the waist accordingly. Moving your bow hand to chase the target changes your draw and anchor. You want the same draw and same anchor every shot. Like AH64Guy said you DO NOT want to hit the shoulder. Aim Small, Miss Small. I would rather error slightly back then hitting should. Another pointer I think is helpful is practicing awkward positions. My first Elk snuck up behind me when I was trying to get the Elk in front of me to come in. I had to turn my upper body only about 130 degrees to get the shot. As AH64Guy said Kneeling, sitting, anything you can think of. It will help you. If you can practice shoot on uneven ground that is perfect.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It depends on WHERE you're hunting deer and WHERE you're hunting elk.

Some places are allot easier than others.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had a Colorado resident that hunts both ELK and Turkey tell me that Archery Elk hunting is more like turkey hunting then anything else. Elk do not have a home range like WD unless it is towards the end of the Season and a Bull goes into hiding . ELk can be hunted from a stand if on private land and they have very little hunting pressure.

it depends on WHERE you're hunting deer and WHERE you're hunting elk.

Some places are allot easier than others.

This ^^^^^^

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Good points, of course shot placement is priority #1 with Elk. (as it should be on ground squirrels on up) We have a 100 yard range inside a 200 yard mixed woods/ clearing bow range with about 60 targets.
Most days no one else is there, so you can enter from any direction and shoot the 3-D targets from 360 degrees at any range you care to...however the focus must be on quartering away shots.
Rifle hunting...
4 years in Utah... our camp was about 33-40% successful. Back in Utah I am the only (rifle) hunter in our camp to take an Elk with one shot. Double Lung is the lesson here!
Every one else in that camp would try their best to make multiple hits no matter how good the first shot is. Them boys could shoot and track, but really the fun is over when the trail is old and it is getting dark.
We found healed over bullet scars in bull's rib cages that should have been lethal. Elk break all the rules, it seems.
I know two Michigan lifelong bow hunters who did a DIY elk hunt in Montana last year...and killed two bulls and two mule deer. One of the boys is a 60 year old, smoking, 350 lb. heart attack waiting to happen.
But they could shoot and they made the effort. Lucky Bummers for sure!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Elk hunting means getting away from people usually. Gotta put in some country...to get into decent calling or stalking.
People is what screws up most elk hunting.
Definitely want to put the arrow up under the ribs from quartering. Much more effective.
Getting an elk down, can be a lot easier than getting one back to the vehicle. They are big, but much bigger when laying on the side of a hill, 4 or 5 miles from the truck. Livestock is really nice to have, or have access to.
I'm not in any way wanting to pack one out on my back. They are way bigger than I am. Even with livestock it is a chore.
Lots of people come out to kill them, but not very many come out and pack them out. Even a cow can be a huge load of work.
There's nothing as exciting, in my book, except maybe Brown Bears in thick cover, but elk are in a class by themselves if taken one on one.
Still, meats not meat until its in the pan.

re

Beware the man with one gun, for he likely knows how to use it...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by T_Inman
In my experience elk are every bit as habitual as whitetails and in certain circumstances they can be patterned as well, just on a larger scale.

yes elk can be patterned, but you need to think like a bowhunter and be able to make a shot at 50 yards ,mostly its smaller bulls that pattern easier,but these bulls taste fine too.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
My buddies and I hunt out of tree stands for elk in a cow elk unit. Very difficult to draw bull tag in our state.
The area is very thick and steep with a lot of downed timber. We average around 80 per cent every. Every year we have all had mature bulls under our stands but of course no bull tags. I’m hunting elk out of state again and bringing a tree stand just in case find a decent ambush point. Just another tool to use. We of course spend time scouting before hunt.

Not exciting type hunting but most effective for that unit. I’ve archery hunted whitetail out of a tree stand 40 years now. We put in for bull tags out of state and other units and call and cover a lot of ground when hunting bulls. I’ve learned over the years you don’t have to hike in 10 miles to find decent opportunities. In fact with all the hunting shows the remote back country gets crowded. They’re a wonderful animal to observe

When tree stand hunting we all shoot heavy arrows and heavy broadheads ( 600 grains) with inserts as shots are 25 yards and under.

I have elk and mule deer on my property and agree mature mule deer by far the most difficult game animal with bow. I spend a lot of time in summer hiking in elk country and observing elk.mule deer does are very curious and will come into calls. I’ve experimented with grunt calls with mule deer bucks.

Last edited by ribka; 05/10/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

yes elk can be patterned, but you need to think like a bowhunter and be able to make a shot at 50 yards ,mostly its smaller bulls that pattern easier,but these bulls taste fine too.

Patterns go straight out the window as soon as the rut starts and or they get pressured...........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Things change about Labor day. A bull will find a couple cows and they will sort out which is the leader. Then the lead cow will take off in a cross country run, presumably to find more cows. She will cover a lot of distance with the bull puffing along behind them trying to keep up. I once watched a herd of about 7 or 8 come down off the side of a mountain at a very fast pace with the bull 100 yds behind them. The cows stopped in some quakies at the bottom and waited for the bull. As soon as he got there, the lead cow took off again right back up the hill following almost the same route they'd come down. After he gets his harem gathered, she'll settle down and stay put.

Another time time I saw over a dozen cows motating along the side of a hill. The bull was a little raghorn & I figured he'd stolen the herd while the herd bull was preoccupied. The cow led them into a patch of timber. About 20 min later, here she came back out but this time the bull was a big 6x6 and the raghorn was following them bellowing his heart out. No tail for you this year little buddy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
bow hunting out west for elk is not easy but its something every bowhunter should try at least once ,it does help to have a few deer under your belt you have shot with a bow first. try to get into good shape before you go ,to be in the mountains with the sound of bull elk bugling,to get close to elk and get the scent of elk is something you will never forget. so if your headed to mountains this fall for a elk bowhunt i wish you luck and a safe hunt.> and as a old elk bowhunter told me : shoot to kill,Pete53

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by szihn

Elk are like giant white-Tail deer in how they hide and how they use their nose and eyes. The one huge difference is with elk you don't get a 2nd chance at one......

I'd disagree with this, I don't think elk are anything like whitetails, especially during bow season. Bucks don't advertise their location by bugling, and they don't gather a harem and defend it from other bucks. And it's much easier to sneak up on a bull than a buck. Apples and oranges IMO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whitetails are different than mule deer/ elk

Mule deer are different than elk.

I can easily see the correlation between turkeys and elk.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
MARK THIS DOWN!

I agree with smokepole!

That will B the day...........

Well here it is!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
turkeys can not smell,elk and deer can smell danger

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

the calling and run and gun style are very much like turkey hunting. Call and move til you get an answer, then figure it out.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
MARK THIS DOWN!

I agree with smokepole!

That will B the day...........

Well here it is!

Does ketamine cause a hangover?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895

Because you will see a bull go over a mountain and the next time you see him he's on another mountain - they must be able to fly. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10ring1, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.