Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
A long put off project of mine will hopfully make some headway tomorrow and not being a wood guy hoping for imput on the blanks I have (this is a savage 99 project)

In the first four pictures the bottom two pieces of wood are what I always thought I would use obove them are a couple more fore end blanks that may be better suited or maybe none of them are right?

Pictures 5 and 6 are of anothe blank purchased with my Dakota 10 project in mind

Pictures 7 and 8 are of another set that I purchased mainly for the Butt stock with a replacement for a cracked stock on my borchardt in mind.

Looking for imput on what may be suited for the new 99. Do you guys think the bottom 2 in the first set of pictures will work?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13473370#Post13473370

Thanks Chris

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
They'll all work. The bottom one in the far LH pic might be a little tricky getting around the sap wood, if that bothers you.

What's this Dakota 10 project of which you speak?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I have an action here that I need to finish. I had finally decided to barrel it in 22lr but when I called Dakota looking for another breech block they said they no longer offer them? When I told them thier websight lists the cartridge I was informed my action is eary enough they have sinse changed the block some and a new manufactured one will not work.
Still thinking on it though maybe I will machine the bore of center enough to acomodate the firing pin placement.

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tell us about the 99 metal...model, barrel wt/length, TD/solid, PG/straight, etc.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Solid frame 260 remington, she will be light weight, 23" barrel, pistol grip stock, hoping for the pre war R shaped for end.
Will need help on the early r for end dimentions. Hopefully I will have a few pictures tomorrow.

Started life as a post mil E has serrial number on bottom if memory serves.

Rick I still think we should rebarrel a 22HP with a 224 bore for you.

Last edited by ctw; 01/20/19.

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr. Williams,

I vote for the 7/8 set, but I am a fool for curly/fiddle back/tiger stripe wood of any breed!

Beautiful...

An armed society is a polite society.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Chris, Nice to have so many choices! I agree with Gary, they all would work! Nice that You are finally working on Your own project!!

To the question of grain character on the first bunch, yes a 99 PG butt will end up with some of that sapwood, which is softer/lighter, especially at the top tang and grip end. Lighter is good, but softer will mean it's more susceptible field dents over time, maybe more susceptible to the dreaded tang crack too, but that feels like a low risk. That butt might work better on a small frame action with straight grip, which will give more opportunity to work around the sap wood. But if you like the contrast of light and dark colors, I'd say go for it.

The single block with the pretty feather grain looks to offer the most consistent grain character across the both pieces, plenty of wood to work with.

Looks like the last set might be close for fitting the pistol grip. I made some templates out of plexiglass so I could move them around a piece of wood and see how the surface grain lays within the stock shape.

I can dig out some of my blocks so You can compare other options.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
"Rick I still think we should rebarrel a 22HP with a 224 bore for you"

What a great idea!! Instead of 22 "High Power" maybe we could call it something like 22 "Zipper" or 22 "Varminter"

Last edited by JeffG; 01/21/19.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.