Print Thread
Hop To
P
pmd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
almost to the point where reloading is no longer economical, does anyone know where shot is still available at reasonable prices?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I gave up reloading shells for my trap shooting. Cheaper for me to wait till Federal and Winchester have their rebates on shotshells in the spring. I load up on them buy @ 10+ cases. I try to get them for well under $5 a box. Usually $4.25 to $4.75 a box. I wait till Academy, Dick's, Cabela's, Natchez has a sale, get the rebate & have free shipping to my door.

I don't even try to reload.

I've got about 20 cases in my Den. I'm set from my trap shooting this summer.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I am using up the components I have on hand, after that I'll being going the same route - stock up when they are on sale. Isn't at all cost efficient in the standard gauges & loads.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is waaaay cheaper to load 20 ga high brass than pay retail

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
reclaimed shot if it is clean works fine for skeet and 16 yard trap. Years ago I used to go to the Winchester club in MN and buy a ton at a time. My wife and I shot a lot at the time 3 nights a week and weekends.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Depends on what you're reloading for. If it's a 28 gauge or a fine British or European shotgun with 2-1/2 inch chambers, it's still plenty worthwhile.

Modern 20 gauge target loads, not so much.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The trap club I shoot at had the reclaimer come last summer. I bought 10 bags at 12.50 a bag. I just shoot practice rounds and load all my own, I'm way under $5 a box more like $2.75/25. WTF I'm honest enough to know when I miss a target it's me, not the gun or shells.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
pmd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Yeah, I am resigned to do just that unless I can find some cheap, local reclaimed shot that I can pick up. Thanks everybody for you replys

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Reclaimed is the way to go, chilled shot is only a couple dollars a bag cheaper than magnum. Everything done to make magnum shot is done to make chilled with the only difference being a bit of antimony.

The last reclaimed shot I bought was Metro Gun Club- the same place mentioned above as being Winchester. It was once called Metro/Winchester but that was a few decades ago. A gallon milk jug of shot went for $30 when it was mined several years ago. The price of the shot can vary depending on the amount recovered, the difficulty mining it, the ease of screening out debris, the going rats of lead, the split between miner and club, and distance traveled.

I've shot a lot of reclaimed shot but not as much as I wished. It seems clubs wait to do their mining after I spend my allotments funds for shot. I still have a 20 some qt tub of shells loaded with reclaimed to shoot up. I'll use them for league shooting of all types as well as local registered competition.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rotometals gets $41 for a 25 lb bag of reclaimed shot plus shipping. Add $8 for cleaned with graphite added. I can buy magnum shot locally for that. Haven't found any local reclaimed shot.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used reclaimed and found it is ok for Skeet, little iffy for 16 yard trap. I shot 7/8 oz loads for both skeet and 16 yard. My local guy was charging $30 a bag for reclaimed so I bought a couple of bags to try. I will stick with new shot from now on.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Paid 30.00 no tax a bag for new shot from a trap club I stopped by to check out. Bought 10 bags so I’m set for a bit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Second on reclaimed for skeet and 16 yd trap. I am still working through old shot, powder, wads and primers. I just like reloading, and can tailor a load for performance and recoil to suit me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only loading I do is for the grand sons. 20ga 3/4 oz loads, or 11/16 oz. By the way, dads love em too.

If not for them I'd simply buy Gun Club when on sale.

All American

All the time
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pmd
almost to the point where reloading is no longer economical, does anyone know where shot is still available at reasonable prices?

"Almost"... Ha ha... you been living under a rock for the last 6-7 years?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I quit putting reclaim thru my guns when I found scratches in my bores. all the screening in the world wont keep sand pebbles the same size as 7-8-9 lead shot from sneaking thru. just me. id rather feed my guns what they were intended for.
reclaim maybe...if the world was in chaos and some preppers traded me some in exchange for a chicken. lol.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When shot went over $8/25# bag I started making my own shot. At that time I was shooting ATA Trap and my homemade #7 1/2 shot was good enough to put me back at the 27 yard line for handicap, and to shoot in class AA singles and A doubles.

I then switched to NSSA Skeet and started making #8 shot which was good enough for me to shoot in class A 12 gauge, class AA 20 and 28 ga, and class A in .410 and doubles.

Our club has had our Trap field reclaimed twice, and we sell reclaimed shot for $24 and re-dropped shot for $30. I have shot some of the reclaimed shot and my 3/4 ounce 12 gauge loads work fine for Skeet and 16 yard Trap. The plastic shot cup wads protect your shotgun bore from any impurities in the shot. And like Magnum_Bob posted "I'm honest enough to know when I miss a target it's me, not the gun or shells."

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (10Glocks, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,171 guests, and 1,460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.