Print Thread
Hop To
#13425416 01/06/19
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Is it safe for me to say that most everyone neck size cases after first shot instead of full length sizing. With the guages we have to check shoulder length,if the case is within tolerences then all one would do is size for the bullet.I know seating depth is very important,but if case goes back in same rifle then full length sizing is not needed each time the case is relaoaded is it? Im retired now and its been 30 plus years since Ive done any reloading just getting set up NEED A LITTLE ADVISE

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on the use. For hunting rifles I always FL resize. I would rather have reliable feeding and extraction. For Varmint/target types I neck size. I also trim, anneal and FL/body die to bump the shoulder back 2 thou every 5th reload. Some like my Swift require it before 5 but most don’t.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't think it's safe to say most neck size.

In my mind, the best way to assure a consistent product for a specific rifle.

I and many others do, and my only issue was when Cookie and I were both packing 270's. Ammo was tight (but usable) for one and butter slick with the second. No issues now that we keep things rifle specific. Some report that after a few firings, ammo will need a full length treatment. My take is: if it came out of a chamber, then it will go back in. With each firing it expands to fit the chamber and then shrinks a bit as it cools. Can't understand how a shoulder might stretch unless one is using and extremely tight expander button. I do step outside when loading a batch to insure that ammo feeds properly. Don't want an issue when the moment comes in the field.

Several firings with some of my hot Weatherby's, and I'm yet to need a full length treatment. I do keep an eye on neck length, but after my initial brass prep, it's seldom needed. Like others, an annealing after 3 or 4 firings.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/06/19.

1Minute
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
i enjoy your feedback as a not new to reloading but been out of it for quite some time you guys and the fire have been really helpful on alot of different subjects. THANKS and keep them coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've not seen the need to "bump back shoulders" after several firings. I do anneal cases after 4-5 shots. I try to only neck-size bottlenecked cartridges after firing them in their designated gun. I prefer Lee collet dies for the neck-sizing, though I do have a couple sets of Redding dies with a standard neck-sizer.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I know the annealing cases is needed but price wise are they all expensive?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Don't think it's safe to say most neck size.

In my mind, the best way to assure a consistent product for a specific rifle.

I and many others do, and my only issue was when Cookie and I were both packing 270's. Ammo was tight (but usable) for one and butter slick with the second. No issues now that we keep things rifle specific. Some report that after a few firings, ammo will need a full length treatment. My take is: if it came out of a chamber, then it will go back in. With each firing it expands to fit the chamber and then shrinks a bit as it cools. Can't understand how a shoulder might stretch unless one is using and extremely tight expander button. I do step outside when loading a batch to insure that ammo feeds properly. Don't want an issue when the moment comes in the field.

Several firings with some of my hot Weatherby's, and I'm yet to need a full length treatment. I do keep an eye on neck length, but after my initial brass prep, it's seldom needed. Like others, an annealing after 3 or 4 firings.

I’ve found if the case was fired in a rifle. It should rechamber. If not you did something wrong when reloading.
I Fl resize and neck size along with partial resize. Depends on rifle. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

I’ve found if the case was fired in a rifle. It should rechamber. If not you did something wrong when reloading.
Hasbeen

Suppose the plane of the bolt face isn't very square to the centerline of the chamber. Given this condition a fired piece of brass may chamber differently depending on how it is oriented going back into the chamber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Hasbeen

Suppose the plane of the bolt face isn't very square to the centerline of the chamber. Given this condition a fired piece of brass may chamber differently depending on how it is oriented going back into the chamber.

Look for another gunsmith. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Depends on the rifle chamber and how hot a load it is. Plus other factors like expander balls and die adjustment. For rifles like my Low wall I just kiss the shoulder for a minimal FL resizing. Tight chambered bolt guns just get the Lee Collet die and a shoulder bump about every 3rd or fourth loading. But if any of them have more than slight resistance then they get FL sized. Lever and Auto guns get FL sized each time but only enough for each chamber not back to factory specs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I neck size with a lee collet die for my long range gun. Not for any accuracy increase, but simply because it gets shot a lot and the collet die doesn’t need lubed. Saves time.

I was getting .5” groups at 100 yards pretty consistently with the full length dies (and one .3” group that I’m convinced was a fluke) and about .5” groups with the collet dies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hasbeen

Or, suppose the chamber is out-of-round . . . .

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Hasbeen

Look for another gunsmith. Hasbeen

OK, but a gunsmith problem doesn't imply there was a reloading mistake.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Hasbeen

Or, suppose the chamber is out-of-round . . . .

Yep, that too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a firm believer in setting the shoulder back .002. As far as the neck goes, I hate to run the expander through the case, as I have felt and seen my concentricity go down the tubes in many cases. That being said, I had a few Hornady neck sizing dies many years back and didn’t feel that that did much for concentricity, despite that my reason for buying them was to improve that problem. I believe the problem was caused by trying to size the necks down as much as .007-.010 that were shot from rifles where the chamber had a large neck.

12-15 years ago, I sold all my dies and replaced them with Redding bushing dies. Upon getting them, I started turning all my necks as I also had a few rifles made with tight neck chambers. I now set the shoulders back .002 with a FL die after removing the expander and stem. Depriming is done with a Lee decapping die first. Then I use the neck size die with the proper bushing to give me .002 neck tension. If the neck has to be sized down more than .005, in a factory rifle or a custom without a tight neck, then I will size the neck down in 2 steps with 2 separate bushings. This allows for my concentricity to end up anywhere from .001-.004, with most ending up at .002.

Sorry to babble on, but I am a firm believer of getting the best concentricity as possible, hence less flyers and improvement in accuracy. As far as the OP’s question, My suggestion would be to set up the FL die with the expander in it to set the shoulder back .002. At least that way the die has a good grip on the case getting better concentricity than using a neck die wher the case is not held tightly giving the possibility fot the neck to loose straightness. I would suggest setting the shoulder back that small amount. It won’t take life away from the case anf it will assure that all cases will chamber. Eventually due to case hardening after ? firings, chambering could be a problem in a case. Not worth it when that buck of a lifetime only gives you a moment to shoot. I think annealing after 2 or 3 firings would be a wiser investment of your time and money instead of neck sizing, unless you run the whole gammut ad I descibed that I do in the aforemention paragraphs. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by 89tenbus; 03/20/19.

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.