Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You da man Geno.

Yeah the rough surface has never bothered me, most of it has been filled in. I have two of my Great Grandmothers CI skillets stashed somewhere that are smooth. Been meaning to pull them out and use them

Last edited by FatCity67; 01/22/19.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
ironbender,

I would have been "smarter" to have done that, I realize now. - I still may do that.

For what it's worth, I "collect & squirrel away" ANTIQUE family recipes of the 19th & earlier centuries. - IF any member wants to share, I would love to receive a copy, with any family "knowledge" of when/where the recipe(s) came into the family.

Sincerely, DarlaG

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our family skillet. Story I recall from my mother (born +/- 1930) was that this was either her mother's or more likely her grandmother's skillet. Mom would wash it on occasion with some soap (she was that way, germs were BAD), but mostly it was just rinsed out and dried on the stove. The sides have a nice crust of burnt dripping on them, the bottom somewhat also.

I had possession of it for a few years after mom went in the Alzheimer's facility, but, since I have no children to pass it on to, I passed it on to my sister to give to one of hers. They use it frequently still. Not bad for something well over a century old.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next trip over the hill in the spring, when the farmers' market starts back up, I need to get to one of the shops over there that has a lot of older stuff. Need a Dutch oven. Besides the two griddles, I have a newer (rough) Lodge skillet with a lid I found at a friend's place when he lived in MT. No idea what brand, or when that one started its existence, most importantly it fit my skillet perfectly!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
You da man Geno.

Yeah the rough surface has never bothered me, most of it has been filled in. I have two of my Great Grandmothers CI skillets stashed somewhere that are smooth. Been meaning to pull them out and use them

Wanna sell one? eek

Geno

PS, yeah, I think over time the "polymerization" thing tends to fill in some (most?) of the roughness. Mine aren't too bad now. And getting better with every pancake, grilled cheese sammi, and quesadilla!

Last edited by Valsdad; 01/22/19.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
You da man Geno.

Wanna sell one? eek

Geno

They are just the hard working common Wagners nothing worth much. All sentimental because Grandma had them and then I got them by default as no one cared but me.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
NICE!
Our family skillet. Story I recall from my mother (born +/- 1930) was that this was either her mother's or more likely her grandmother's skillet. Mom would wash it on occasion with some soap (she was that way, germs were BAD), but mostly it was just rinsed out and dried on the stove. The sides have a nice crust of burnt dripping on them, the bottom somewhat also.

I had possession of it for a few years after mom went in the Alzheimer's facility, but, since I have no children to pass it on to, I passed it on to my sister to give to one of hers. They use it frequently still. Not bad for something well over a century old.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next trip over the hill in the spring, when the farmers' market starts back up, I need to get to one of the shops over there that has a lot of older stuff. Need a Dutch oven. Besides the two griddles, I have a newer (rough) Lodge skillet with a lid I found at a friend's place when he lived in MT. No idea what brand, or when that one started its existence, most importantly it fit my skillet perfectly!

Geno

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You da man Geno.

Wanna sell one? eek

Geno

They are just the hard working common Wagners nothing worth much. All sentimental because Grandma had them and then I got them by default as no one cared but me.

Seems even the Wagners are going up in price all the time. The internet has done that, like it has with firearms on Gunbroker.

I'd likely tell you to keep them and give them to one of them children in your life. Sentimentality means bunches to an old fool like me.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bear fat works well too.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You da man Geno.

Wanna sell one? eek

Geno

Seems even the Wagners are going up in price all the time. The internet has done that, like it has with firearms on Gunbroker.

I'd likely tell you to keep them and give them to one of them children in your life. Sentimentality means bunches to an old fool like me.

Geno

Thats the plan. Daughters have already placed first right of refusal claims on them.

"Maybe we're all happy."

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
TO ALL,

To save my fingers, Tex's family antique, Mississippi-style, cornbread recipe is now in the FOODS section of the forum.

It is our hope that everyone who tries it, enjoys it with their family, as much as we do.

Sincerely, DarlaG & Tex

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People tend to over think some things. This is one of them.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Geno

sweet lookin pan

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To All,

My husband had Lion's Club this evening in North San Antonio & came home to tell me about a "real treasure" that one of the club's members, (an 88YO widower,) is giving me. - his G-G-G-Great Aunt's favorite cast iron skillet that she brought to South Texas in about 1830 when she & her husband were new emigrants from KY.
(Mr. Thomas has no females in the family, who have any interest in the skillet at all, & offered it to us because he knows that we "like really old stuff" & he has no interest in selling items that his late wife used.)

Like most skillets of that early era, this one is "footed" for use in the coals. = In those long ago frontier Texas days, because of a well-founded fear of fire, most cooking was done out of doors & often in a separate building or shelter. - In Texas, due to the relative mild climate, many family meals each year were eaten at plank tables with benches, "out of doors, under the trees".
(
Note: The HOT Texas Summers were the primary reason that most of our oldest frontier homes were "dogtrot houses", which was a house with 2/3/4 rooms on each side of an "open at both ends passageway", which was called a "dogtrot'".
In clement weather, adults & children slept IN the dogtrot or on the wide/shady covered porches.

Sincerely, DarlaG

Last edited by DarlaG; 01/22/19. Reason: clarity
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This thread shows that there are lots of ways to season CI and few of them are wrong.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
ironbender,

NICE COLLECTION, imo.

yours, tex

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a few. Wagner and no-name hand me downs of moms but mostly Lodge.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Got these two for Christmas.....the oval serving dish makes a great bachelor sized casserole.

[Linked Image]

I also have an old wagner chicken fryer out in the garage that a friend gave me.
It's in pretty rough shape but it's coming around.

I know it's popular among the CI snobs to hate on Lodge but I get along just fine with Lard, Lodge, hot water, and a good stiff cleaning brush.

[Linked Image]

IMO.....using the dam things is far more important than "seasoning" procedures.

PS....eggs fight to get in line to get cooked in that 8" carbon steel pan.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 01/23/19.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Antique shops are great places to buy cast iron cookware

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
This thread shows that there are lots of ways to season CI and few of them are wrong.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I hope you got some 2x6 joists in the ceiling of that trailer? haha

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just use it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Settle down slumlady. Trailer has a short run of 2x4 in the double wide. Got a blue tarp over it though. New one each year, so no leaks!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 51 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,330
Posts18,468,566
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.