Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
In 2006, I purchased a 9.3x62 after studying the cartridge in my various reloading manuals for many years prior. My first 9.3 rifle was a full-length stocked CZ carbine. I began accruing ammunition locally, which wasn’t cheap. I gathered mostly Lapua and Nosler Custom ammo. I used this rifle with 286 grain partitions exclusively for caribou and moose hunting from my various canoes. On one particular moose hunt, I had this rifle in hand when my hunting partner and I were within 25 yards of a massive grizzly that stood well over 8 ft tall, observing us with lack of patience. He looked like an upright sheet of plywood with a head on top. I have never seen a larger grizzly since, and that was over 8 years ago. Neither did I feel under-gunned.

One boring winter range session in 2011, I decided to fire the three factory loadings over a chronograph. The results were depressing to say the least. The 285 grain Lapua Megas barely registered 2125 fps, the 286 grain nosler partitions, 2200 fps, and the 250 grain accubond 2300 fps. Though sufficient, I knew that modest ammo would represent my last $86 dollar box of factory ammunition. Handloading was the only way.
In 2012, I began researching the optimum powder for the case. Being larger in bore than a 338-06, I felt that the slower powders like reloader 17 or reloader 19 weren’t ideal especially from a carbine. Reloader 15 is a tried and true, versatile powder, but chose to use a slightly slower burning powder due to my bullet choice: the 300 grain Swift A-frame. After a great visit with Ted Wagner in 2011, his assertion on the 9.3, "it is like a 375 H&H, but with 5 in the magazine". So, fitting to Ted’s great 9.3 slogan, the 300 grainer didn’t disappoint.

The powder I chose, was the new (at the time) 2000-MR made by Alliant. I chose this powder, because of my great luck used in a heavy 200 grain Nosler partition load in 308 Winchester. It was very dense, metered well, and seemed ideal for my heavy 9.3 load. Starting at 53 grains, and eventually working my way up to 64 grains, which filled the case, the results were impressive. At 64 grains, it registered 2460 fps over the chronograph. Firing these long, stoutly constructed, soft copper jacketed A-frames exhibited no signs of dangerous pressure on the Lapua brass at this velocity. Due to the long throats, typical of two 9.3 rifles I’ve owned, I’m certain that extended length hand-loads are possible, with a few grains more of this great powder. Regardless of what some narcissistic handloaders might believe, the 9.3’s performance afield isn’t affected too much by chasing the last foot per second of velocity, or the slightest deviation in velocity. All my incrementally-charged rounds typically hit the same point of impact, from 53 grains, all the way to 64 grains. At 2460 fps, the deviations in velocity from round to round, was too minuscule to mention, as previously stated, doesn’t matter a damn thing in my book, when dealing the ole nine-three.

The recoil from these loads is tolerable, but stout. I wouldn’t want my current 9.3 rifle any lighter than its 7 lbs. 4 oz unloaded.
For many hunts, it’s very hard for me to part with a 358 Winchester, which is one of my favorites and my first Alaskan big game rifle(used since 2004). Between the two rifles, I generally reach for the 358 when hiking mountains is involved or deer hunting back in northern Maine, weighing in at 6 lbs 4 oz unloaded. I reach for the 9.3 for everything else.
I have two exclusive loads, both very effective. My standard/affordable load that I use for practice as well as caribou and moose hunting consist of PRVI brass, PRVI 285 grain bullets, CCI standard benchrest primers and either 60 grains of Alliant 2000-MR, or 58 grains of reloader 15. I like the reloader 15 better in my standard load, as it’s always available, even during the powder shortage. Regardless of all the hoopla of chasing every last foot per second with the latest/greatest/rarest powder, good ole reloader 15 will never disappoint. Just like another old stand-by: Alliant Unique for our handguns. Both the Serbian brass and bullets, are cheaper in price than any comparable domestic brass, Hornady interlocks, or speer hot-cor bullets. With a much thicker jacket than any of our domestic cup/core bullets, and two deeply swaged cannalures locking the jacket to the core, they hold together immensely well, and certainly not near as frangible as some of the domestic bullets I’ve witnessed fired into Alaskan game. They simply hold together and expand well even on smaller caribou. Two seasons ago I caught a two caribou using this bullet. One at 25 yards, the other at about 350 yards. Clean holes in both and never a recovered bullet.

My last bull moose and three caribou were shot using my full-power 300 grain swift A-frame load. Due to harassment by a couple of hunters, crowding in on my camp site, I was forced to take a roughly 500-yard shot on a 40” racked moose that I called into my camp. With the crowders wallowing around 50 yds behind my campsite, the bull was real spooky. With no time to close the distance of this departing bull, I let out one more cow grunt, stopping the bull at a distance upriver and very uncomfortable for me. Holding the crosshairs flush with his back, I sent one his way, observing a spray of water directly under him. I then held the thick part of the crosshair flush on his back and let one loose. The fat bull began to struggle to catch a stride and crashed into the water along shore. After processing the animal, I found that the 300 grain swift A-frame expanded remarkably well to 62 caliber, with an impact velocity all of 1500-1600 fps. The bullet hit low behind the shoulder upon entry, and was found against the hide on the offside, in the forearm of the bull!:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...via-Clipper-Canoe-and-8hp-Evinrude/page2

Low on 358 ammo, I decided to use the ole nine-three again to catch winter caribou by dog team a couple months ago. After letting a small herd pass by me along the trail, I closed the distance from the rear, the dogs eager to follow. I chose the three fattest cows, unaccompanied by calves. It all happened so fast: I slowly set the snow hook, crouched off the runners, quietly walked in front of the lead dogs, took a knee and took the first one at 75 yards. A quick shuck of the bolt, I took the second at about 200 yds on a full run. Struggling to regain her footing, I let go another into her neck. Some 400 yds off, the third cow turned around to find the heard. With the crosshairs held at the top of her head, I let another go. A miss! Finally, my last and fifth round, I pushed the trigger into the single-set mode, held the thick part of the crosshair square on her nose, and squeezed the 13 ounce trigger. Down she went. After processing these three caribou, I found another 300 grain a-frame from the caribou taken by the long shot. The bullet had traveled through the entire caribou resting against the hide near the groin. It too expanded wonderfully, this one to 61 caliber retaining 289 grains. I have learned something about these swift a-frames. Though many a marginal internet “gun writer” have opined that these stoutly constructed a-frame bullets may not expand on smaller game or below 1800 fps, nothing could be further from the truth. I’ve never found a bullet that has exhibited such reliable, controlled expansion, all the way down to 1500-1600 fps. In 20 below zero hunting, the 2000-MR still had enough oomph for the long shot, even with a standard primer:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...78682/3-caribou-by-dog-team#Post13278682

I find no interest, loading the ole nine-three with lighter bullets. I’ve asked a lot from the cartridge and I’ve eaten well due to this rifle. My last 6 animals over the past two years have been caught with this 9.3x62 carbine. Hardly a coffee can full of blood-shot meat was ever lost from all six animals combined.
If there’s a hunter out there on a budget like most of us, send off any ole 270 or 30-06 to Jesse Occumpaugh for an affordable rebore, load up some of those equally affordable PRVI brass/bullets, and never look back. That combo will be the most affordable, effective combination for even the largest game in North America. If I’m as lucky or as tough as ole Yukoner Ted, I have another 40 years of hunting the north country with my nine-three. From as far back as 1904, this chambering isn’t dated in the least, it was an “improved” case, before parker Otto Ackley soiled his first diaper.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/22/19.
BP-B6

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Great post. I really enjoyed this.
I have the CZ 550 American. Although I like the rifle I wish I would have gotten the full stock model instead.
The chances of me getting to use the 9.3X62 of large game is getting slimmer each year. Probably the only justification for keeping it is it is fun to shoot and very accurate.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Typical story for the 9.3 - it just works, has worked, and will always work. I am just getting my 9.3 finished up, a Husky 640 (Mauser 98) with a Mauser Model A profile barrel at 25”. Just trying to get some feeding roughness sorted out.

As to the PO Ackley mention, it’s ironic that the inventor of the 9.3 was called Otto Bock. Hmm

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great post! I'm becoming more and more convinced I need a 9.3! So far, only my 35 Whelen has been stopping me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a CZ in 9.3 and appreciate the story and loading data.
While I might never kill moose and caribou in Alaska, I did
take it bear hunting in Georgia this year but didn't get a bear.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Great post! I'm becoming more and more convinced I need a 9.3! So far, only my 35 Whelen has been stopping me.

Yes! I have eyed up the sako black bear rifle in that caliber, but then there's my 35 W.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by moosemike

That’s actually a compelling reason to pause...the 35 Whelen today can match the 350 Rigby of old with a 225 at 2625. The 350 Rigby is another “been there and done that without a lot of fuss” round...

Last edited by baxterb; 01/22/19.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Good story and great tasty results. Could you please expound on the 308 load with 200 partitions?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good read! My 9.3 is the next up project after my 376 Steyr gets home. Mine will be on a 1909

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent read! I too have a CZ 550 carbine (full stock). But all I've ever killed with it are paper targets and water filled milk jugs! Bought it in the hope (9 years ago) of going to Africa to hunt plains game. Life interfered and now at my age wonder if I'll ever blood my rifle. So I very much enjoyed your accounts of game you've taken. I'm curious as to what scope you use?

I find my rifle accurate and relatively easy to shoot. Glad to hear about the PRVI brass and bullets as that is what I started with and I still have some around.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
CKW,

The 9.3x62MM (which I love for most everything that exceeds 100#) excels as a "feral hog killer". = MY treasured Remington 760 gets used in that role more than any other hunting. = One decent shot, & it's "ADIOS, Porky Pig".

yours, tex

Last edited by DarlaG; 01/23/19. Reason: typos
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LOVE my 9.3mm Mauser M12 Extreme with irons. Modern meets classic as I see it...

Great post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
... Some 400 yds off, .... I found another 300 grain a-frame from the caribou taken by the long shot.
The bullet had traveled through the entire caribou resting against the hide near the groin. It too expanded wonderfully, this
one to 61 caliber retaining 289 grains. I have learned something about these swift a-frames. Though many a marginal
internet “gun writer” have opined that these stoutly constructed a-frame bullets may not expand on smaller game or below 1800 fps,
nothing could be further from the truth. I’ve never found a bullet that has exhibited such reliable, controlled expansion, all the way
down to 1500-1600 fps...

Gunwriters,,, well you are talking about some that will say one thing today then the complete opposite when its suites them.
How some ever got a job writing and advising the broad [and somewhat gullible] hunting fraternity public I don't know.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hello miner,

Very good and well written story! I also have a 9,3x62, a BRNO ZKK 600 with 60 cm (23,6") barrel. I love the cartridge and the rifle! Like your CZ 550, their magazine length plus the long free bullet travel and low angle of the begining of the lands, allows to use a long cartridge OAL without touching the lands. Agree, as you said, it IS a so called "improved" cartridge by modern standards.

Best wishes!

PH

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I enjoyed reading your write up. Have long thought the 9.3x62 to be a legendary cartridge. I once owned one of the CZ 550 FS chambered thus, but somehow let it slip away before using it to bag any game. Wish they were as common now as they were 15 years ago.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
CrimsonTide,

At the risk of stating the obvious, Jessie at JES will be glad to reformat any number of rifles, witch have a standard length receiver (for example, most any .270 or .30-6) into a 9.3x62mm "dangerous game rifle" for about 225.oo complete. = Jessie's work is PEERLESS, reasonably priced & your rifle will be completed & returned to you with alacrity.

yours, tex

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My favorite rifle to take when walking thru the bear woods. Ruger African 9.3x62, bobbed to 21" barrel and McMillan stocked. RJ
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
rj308,

NICE LOOKING rifle, imo.

yours, tex

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks tex. RJ

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mainer, what twist are you using to spin those 300's?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
359 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 39 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.