Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Have a trip in April at about 14,500' for two weeks for a project in Peru. Temps will be relatively mild at mid 30's to high 50's. I need something fast, light, and it only needs to boil water, no cooking. I like isobutane stoves the most but not sure if the altitude will cause issues, pretty sure it will not be cold enough to bother the isobutane, but I do not have any experience for longer periods at this altitude so any advise will be appreciated. Once again, just need to boil water and I/2 liter at most and it needs to pack small.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have no issues with ISO at the high 13’s. I’m not a physicist but the vapor pressure should relatively increase at altitude right? Cold is what slows them down and I regularly use a windscreen around the can, accepting the risk of blowing myself up. Hasn’t happened though.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Interesting read here about the effects of temperature (not altitude) on the old-style pure butane cannisters versus the modern mixes with isobutane and propane:

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2017/04/does-canister-gas-work-at-high-elevation.html

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Shooter71
I have no issues with ISO at the high 13’s. I’m not a physicist but the vapor pressure should relatively increase at altitude right? Cold is what slows them down and I regularly use a windscreen around the can, accepting the risk of blowing myself up. Hasn’t happened though.

This is right. I have had the same experience as Shooter71 and occasionally over 14,000'.

When heating water for just myself, I use an Optimus Crux with a 32oz. Halulite pot made by GSI. It will heat about 24 oz. of water.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When heating water for a small group I use an MSR Pocket Rocket and an Olicamp heat exchange pot. It will heat a full quart.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Olicamp pot is a little too big to fit properly on a Crux stove. Or maybe the stove is too small confused

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MSR Universal. Would probably use white gas, but if canister and temps drop below freezing, MSR brand fuel turned upside down on the included stand or insulate the lower part of the canister or put it in a shallow tray of water.

Take extra fuel.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by smokepole
Interesting read here about the effects of temperature (not altitude) on the old-style pure butane cannisters versus the modern mixes with isobutane and propane:

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2017/04/does-canister-gas-work-at-high-elevation.html

Smokepole, damn useful link, thank you.

Looks like zero issue with elevation or temperature at 14,500' with a canister stove.

This trip involves heavy work during the day at altitude. I wake up early and need very strong coffee followed by Coca Leave Tea the rest of the day to counter the effects of altitude. Third season I have done this trip now and not doing it without my own beverage system this time so I can imbibe when I wish even when everyone else is asleep.

Need to now decide between an integrated water boiling system like the Jetboil or MSR Windburner or another setup. It would be great to have a stove that packs into itself but maybe buying individual components is the way to like some of the above. I have to carry this damn thing in through steep rugged rock and will sacrifice around 1 pound of weight to have this luxury.

Experiences and opinions on best setup most appreciated.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 01/20/19.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like the convenience of a jetboil or similar for just heating water. With the built in heat exchanger you gain efficiency over the long haul (less fuel needed) over something like a jet boil.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like the convenience of a jetboil or similar for just heating water. With the built in heat exchanger you gain efficiency over the long haul (less fuel needed) over something like a pocket rocket.

Oops, that last one should have been "pocket rocket."

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Pure propane isn't immune to cold either. I used to be a roofer and we used a lot of propane to run torches laying down membrane roofs. When it got below 10 or 15F, the propane tanks would start spitting drops of liquid propane instead of all vapor. We had to hang tarps over the tanks and put electric heaters under them to warm up the tanks.
Of course no backpacker is going to haul propane bottles up the side of a mountain but it is the best to use in the cold.

from the article:
Piezoelectric ignitions. Piezo based ignition systems often struggle on hand held butane type lighters as low as 5,000'/1500 m elevation
Very true. I've tried a bunch of different BBQ lighters and haven't found any that will light reliably at more than 6000'.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 01/21/19.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Pure propane isn't immune to cold either. I used to be a roofer and we used a lot of propane to run torches laying down membrane roofs.

Comparing canister stoves to propane torches is apples and oranges. I've never had a problem with iso- or propane mix canister stoves up to 12,500 feet, have you?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I still have a couple Whisper Lite's. But I have pretty much gone strictly Jetboil these days.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I used a msr dragon fly on Mt Elbrus for a week from 10000 to 16000 ft. Wind cold snow

Worked great

F
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by ribka
I used a msr dragon fly on Mt Elbrus for a week from 10000 to 16000 ft. Wind cold snow

Worked great

Thanks for this information!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka

Worked great

ribka:

I own a Dragonfly and a Whisperlite. The white gas burns fine at cold temps in both. The Dragonfly does a better job of simmering but it seems to use more fuel than the Whisperlite. I used the Whisperlite at 17,200' on Mt. McKinley and it worked great.

Wind chill seems to negatively affect ISO stoves and I try to build some kind of windshield to counteract this effect. MSR windshields aren't tall enough to work properly. Too bad.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe if you want something small or MSR WindBurner if you want the integrated system.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 70 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.